Dawson Scheme notes

I think part of the problem is that Mario hired a coach with an air raid background to run an offense with a power run game, and Dawson is having a hard time adapting to it. Our running plays are generally dive up the middle and almost always on first down. Defenses are just run blitzing to take away the run, and then dropping back into zone coverage on the resulting 2nd/3rd and long. Every yard we gain in this offense seems like a struggle. Granted TVD is contributing to the problem but there is something fundamentally off about this offense. It should be better given the talent we have on the OL. If Mario and Dawson decide to part ways, Mario should just hire a true power spread OC.
@Memnon has explained and covered this before regarding Dawson - his not the typical Air Raid OC. His game plan is based on a lot of running vs balls out passing game.

Advertisement
Don’t know if it was discussed….too many words in here….but Saturday he had B Smith in orbit motion. If he was being checked it the DB had to be 10 yards off the ball. Rather than going to him for an easy completion in space, B Smith finished the motion and stayed out there as a check down. Don’t know what the play design was but if I get him in motion like that and he has a 10 yard cushion (actually 15 because he was that deep (pause)) I’m getting him the ball. Either a bad design by Dawson or a bad read by TVD.

Good points.

My understanding is that all of the receivers are running option routes. It’s not just Restrepo.

To paraphrase the old saying of having more than one QB - if everyone is running option routes, then no one is running a route. Sounds like chaos and if that were to be the case then no **** wonder TVD is having problems. In fact, it should be worse than it is should that be true.

Running option routes requires the WR/QB to be on the same page and read the coverages the same way...singing from the same page/line in the hymn book. You multiply that by 4 or 5 routes, **** hard to get the choir to sound good.

He definitely has a lot of faults but it’s not just him.

You would see it in the play calls, scheme and route concepts.
Not a Dawson apologist but **** TVD missed every throw imaginable Saturday. Even the throws that are supposed to help the QB being so easy were an adventure

But to everyone’s point I think rather than going ultra conservative and leaning on the running game, which isn’t the worst thing AT TIMES, there’s plenty of other ways to take the pressure off TVD and get the ball to some of our little used playmakers

Dawson is still the “I’m gonna end this ************ right now” guy so I’m hoping we see him re-adjust to the defenses these last 4 games

To paraphrase the old saying of having more than one QB - if everyone is running option routes, then no one is running a route. Sounds like chaos and if that were to be the case then no **** wonder TVD is having problems. In fact, it should be worse than it is should that be true.

Running option routes requires the WR/QB to be on the same page and read the coverages the same way...singing from the same page/line in the hymn book. You multiply that by 4 or 5 routes, **** hard to get the choir to sound good.
One play in particular against UVA that stuck out to me was the throw to Jacolby near the end zone into double coverage that Jacolby had to defend or it’s a pick. Even in the condensed live feed, 2 WR’s can be seen wide open in the flats with no defender within 8-10 yards of either one. In the all 22 replay, the 2 WR’s can easily be seen on either side of the field and it looked like TVD never even looked their way.

Seems there are WR’s getting open and for some reason, TVD isn’t seeing them.

Advertisement
One play in particular against UVA that stuck out to me was the throw to Jacolby near the end zone into double coverage that Jacolby had to defend or it’s a pick. Even in the condensed live feed, 2 WR’s can be seen wide open in the flats with no defender within 8-10 yards of either one. In the all 22 replay, the 2 WR’s can easily be seen on either side of the field and it looked like TVD never even looked their way.

Seems there are WR’s getting open and for some reason, TVD isn’t seeing them.
Yeah the UVA game it doesn’t absolve Dawson but same time I’m watching it going….what the **** do we do here? TVD couldn’t see a thing. I know why they didn’t pull him but he should have been pulled

Not a Dawson apologist but **** TVD missed every throw imaginable Saturday. Even the throws that are supposed to help the QB being so easy were an adventure
To your point - There's also another upside to calling more of those crossing/mesh concepts and stuff over the middle of the field like I'm calling for - after how we've been in the passing game so far this year...they're all gonna be WIDE THE FVCK open because defenses are scheming for the other stuff we've put on tape. If Dawson adjusts and TVD can't be accurate enough to make those throws...then it's certainly EW era time. If TVD does make those throws and can get in a rhythm, then all the better. Either way, it's a win.

Yeah the UVA game it doesn’t absolve Dawson but same time I’m watching it going….what the **** do we do here? TVD couldn’t see a thing. I know why they didn’t pull him but he should have been pulled
Your guess is more than likely better than mine. I’m no offensive guru by any stretch but if someone has watched and played any football at all, some things are just obvious.

We’ve heard and seen many things even TVD supposedly changing plays at the LOS. I don’t have an answer as I’m not in the OC’s room. Just gotta hope TVD and Dawson get it figured out.

A few things I'd like to see Miami run:

Hitch and Go
Check down to the middle of the field vs Flats
TE with delayed releases up the seam vs into the flats. ND killed NCSt with the TE.
QB draw with 2 OL leading QB. Clearly not happening with hurt TVD.

Advertisement
To your point - There's also another upside to calling more of those crossing/mesh concepts and stuff over the middle of the field like I'm calling for - after how we've been in the passing game so far this year...they're all gonna be WIDE THE FVCK open because defenses are scheming for the other stuff we've put on tape. If Dawson adjusts and TVD can't be accurate enough to make those throws...then it's certainly EW era time. If TVD does make those throws and can get in a rhythm, then all the better. Either way, it's a win.
Agreed. I didn’t rewatch the game and spent part of it with my eyes closed but it “felt” watching that Dawson was making an effort to do some things but I could be way wrong

But again that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be doing more, or different things either

That was the toughest QB play to watch probably since Kirnobyl to me

TVD is inconsistent, and a bad leader, but his strengths and Mario’s aren’t going to click.

Mario fcked up by not bringing someone in who is ready to take over for TVD

Mario wants us to be a boring grind it out physically team and TVD wants to let it fly and make the big play.

would be awesome if we grab a dual threat guy who can make protect the football next year because ultimately Mario thinks the best way to win is with 3 yards and a cloud of dust on a screen or run

Clemson game was the perfect example

Guidry: “ok we are in a tough spot this week. Lacking some key guys for Clemson. Let’s go with a Bear defense”

On offense it feels like we are going in the opposite direction trying to cater to what’s wrong
Yeah, Dawson hasn't been very impressive. Getting a good OC shouldn't be this hard.

Advertisement
A few things I'd like to see Miami run:

Hitch and Go
Check down to the middle of the field vs Flats
TE with delayed releases up the seam vs into the flats. ND killed NCSt with the TE.
QB draw with 2 OL leading QB. Clearly not happening with hurt TVD.
Involving the tight ends in the passing game would greatly improve this offense.

Advertisement
Sadly we don’t have one ready to shine. Arroyo maybe in a few weeks. Williams is still making mistakes. Ole man cam isn’t good enough
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

he limits the offense. He is one read and he cant handle big games. he never shows. He's like Kaaya. a stat padder against weaker teams.
I dont know what Dawson is but you have to wait until tvd is gone to judge.
Ironically his worst games are against the weaker teams lol

I think dawson has been cool, just need to see him be more creative in the run game. Counter teams dropping 8 vs our max protection looks, more play action.

In his press conference he said he’s a ride or die type coach and thats cool but if u gonna ride with the qb that’s struggling then please dont go empty on 3rd n short with a struggling qb lol dont say the run game in dominant but then not trust it to get a short conversion

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back