Dawson Scheme notes

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I'm starting to sift through YouTube vids of Houston and Southern Miss and I wanted to open a thread just for some X and O discussion. If anyone would like to add, or contradict, anything I post let's do it here.

Starting off with the basics -

Most of what I've seen from Dawson formation-wise is 3-4 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE/HB. Motion is farily intuitive - usually the TE/HB across the formation.

Generally speaking I like his route trees - 2-3 deep routes (go/post/etc) and almost always an underneath option or two - sometimes the RB, sometimes a crosser or out underneath.

Running game is diverse compared to Lashlee, some power/pulling concepts and the WR/TEs will be expected to block.

TE seams and flex motion for mismatches - Skinner and Arroyo will eat.

Screen game is logical and not overused - this isn't a bubble screen based offense.

I saw more RPO at Southern Miss than at Houston but I'm wondering if that aspect comes back, given TVDs skillset.

I'll add more as I see more, but please feel free to pile on.

Advertisement
Wouldn't So Miss review be more relevant IF rumor is true about Holgerson calling plays for Houston?

It's why I'm kinda looking at both. I don't want to just throw out the last 3 years at UH, but I want to temper it with some other stops too. I am kinda throwing out the year at UK given how messy that whole cluster**** appeared to be.

I saw more RPO at Southern Miss than at Houston but I'm wondering if that aspect comes back, given TVDs skillset.

This and where the playclock was when they snapped the ball really sticks out in the Houston clips.

I like his screen game. Although would prefer more of a horizontal passing game.

Advertisement
This and where the playclock was when they snapped the ball really sticks out in the Houston clips.

I like his screen game. Although would prefer more of a horizontal passing game.
I noticed that as well. Most of his run concepts appear to be outside zone, which in some ways take the place of that lateral screen game. It's definitely a vertical-first offense.

I know you are well read, but this fallacy was shot down by a former member of the Houston staff. Holgy did not take over playcalling.

kobe what gif.gif

this is risible! well read?

Advertisement
Advertisement
homer simpson trombone GIF

My staff is retired and my trombone is rusty. Story of my life.
your statement about your being a jazz trombone Ph.D. left a small impression on me. i know you are into jazz, but you also said you played salsa in some trans/*** nightclub in Atlanta.

i've seen Juan Luis Guerra in concert various times. his band is amongst the best. this video has a great horn section.

I'm starting to sift through YouTube vids of Houston and Southern Miss and I wanted to open a thread just for some X and O discussion. If anyone would like to add, or contradict, anything I post let's do it here.

Most of what I've seen from Dawson formation-wise is 3-4 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE/HB. Motion is farily intuitive - usually the TE/HB across the formation.

Generally speaking I like his route trees - 2-3 deep routes (go/post/etc) and almost always an underneath option or two - sometimes the RB, sometimes a crosser or out underneath.

Running game is diverse compared to Lashlee, some power/pulling concepts and the WR/TEs will be expected to block.

Screen game is logical and not overused - this isn't a bubble screen based offense.

Thank god

Advertisement

Good on you for putting in the footwork.

You can bet there’ll be a steady diet of Rpo with TVD. This Offense is built for him. He won”t sit back there like a sitting duck anymore waiting for slow developing plays to drag out and a lot of the time the read being pre determined . So he had to wait for that route.

Advertisement
Back