Dawson Scheme notes

Not a lot of actual RPO, which needs to be a foundation of modern college offenses.

Agree w/ your post-especially this part.

We have a weak RPO cause our QB has no threat to run. He can’t run or even step up in the pocket or slide (left or right) to create a new pocket or a little room (when things are covered down field). So instead, he holds the ball and only targets X.

Weak RPO.

Poorly designed runs (only up the middle). ****, we actually tried a pitch yesterday but muffed that up in our own backfield. :/

Our O needs some help. An occasional scramble would help. Move the pocket.
Slide up in the pocket. But this may be too much to ask for a statue of a quarterback.

Advertisement
My biggest concerns with Dawson were:

Analytics said his offenses were HORRIBLE every year except last year.

Way too slow of a pace.

Way too mechanical. There wasn’t much of a backyard, “college-ness” to his offenses.

All of the above hurts his QB’s rhythm.

The only success he had was 2022, in which he had to really spread teams out and throw it. Which he has said he does not want to do, but instead prefers a style he hasn’t had success with.

His Houston offenses were very downfield passing.

Not a lot of actual RPO, which needs to be a foundation of modern college offenses.

Outside of the constant downfield passing, he’s done nothing this year that makes me think my concerns were invalid or have been answered.
He’s an air raid guy forcing a power run into his offense. It doesn’t work and evidently it’s never worked. I don’t know what Mario is looking for in an offensive coordinator but I think it’s safe to say he’s struck out twice.

We have a weak RPO cause our QB has no threat to run. He can’t run or even step up in the pocket or slide (left or right) to create a new pocket or a little room (when things are covered down field). So instead, he holds the ball and only targets X.

Weak RPO.

Poorly designed runs (only up the middle). ****, we actually tried a pitch yesterday but muffed that up in our own backfield. :/

Slide up in the pocket. But this may be too much to ask for a statue of a quarterback.
I mean an RPO has nothing to do with TVD and his lack of running lol it’s a give or throw in no world should he keep it. I think he would just read it wrong most likely

He’s an air raid guy forcing a power run into his offense. It doesn’t work and evidently it’s never worked. I don’t know what Mario is looking for in an offensive coordinator but I think it’s safe to say he’s struck out twice.
His perfect OC is Riley Power spread

Advertisement

Weak RPO.

Bruh u dont need the qb to be a run threat for a simple rpo glance when teams are playing off coverage, u dont need it to tag an rpo with a hitch or bubble..Lashlee did this with tyler on early downs.

Right now our early downs is run for 2 yards, run for 3 yards, now it’s obvious pass and tyler is bad vs the teams zone coverage or they just have us covered and he tries to force something.

This week tyler is playing his worst game and on 3rd n shorts he was going to an empty set..its like bro do what are u doing..we converted a couple but its bad process and that usually ends up as bad results if u keep doing it

Yup. Boggles the mind that he hasn’t gone that route. It’s everything Mario wants or claims he wants. With our oline and the skill position talent we can get, that offense would be nasty and fun to watch.
Hey maybe Dabo will fire him and Mario can scoop him for cheap haha. Not saying I want Dawson gone at all just all hypothetical

My favorite excuse I have been hearing regarding the lack of offensive production:

“We don’t have the personnel or are thin on personnel.”

Tom Cruise What GIF

I am sorry? We don’t have a killer OL, decent wideouts and RBs but somehow, UVA OC is able to scheme a lot a good offense with less and beat UNC?

GT is able to beat UNC with the offense performing the way it did?

What am I missing here?

Advertisement
We're 6-2 with a top 20 offense and middling talent at WR and QB, and yet you're all sitting here in the pit of misery, claiming after 8 games that our OC is not the guy. It'd be different if we were bottom of the barrel offensively, but we're not. Sure, the guy's no Lincoln Riley, he may not even be on Rhett Lashlee's tier. He is getting about the best he can get out of the talent we have, and that is all I could ask out of him at this point with the dearth of offensive talent we have. Let's hold off on wholesale judgment calls until after the bowl game with a full data set to analyze.

We're 6-2 with a top 20 offense and middling talent at WR and QB, and yet you're all sitting here in the pit of misery, claiming after 8 games that our OC is not the guy. It'd be different if we were bottom of the barrel offensively, but we're not. Sure, the guy's no Lincoln Riley, he may not even be on Rhett Lashlee's tier. He is getting about the best he can get out of the talent we have, and that is all I could ask out of him at this point with the dearth of offensive talent we have. Let's hold off on wholesale judgment calls until after the bowl game with a full data set to analyze.
Mario thinking he can make his own Power Spread is progress as long as he keeps listening to the air raid guy.

Advertisement
I’ll love Lashlee as much as the next guy but can we stop holding him as some other worldly OC his Ofenses here were trash agaisnt good comp. Lashlee did light up the teams he should’ve but any team with a good pulse on D we stifle his offense. I’m still all in on Dawson. Maybe some bad calls or game plans but like u said we’re 6-2 and TVD is holding the O back not the play caller

Maybe I’m naive not thinking it’s Dawson

But when things get tough there’s the old adage about going back to your comfort zone or whatever the ****

TVD gets heat and struggles he looks for a certain receiver

QB struggles and Mario wants to go back to what he likes

I commended Mario for going a bit outside the box with the Dawson hire (for him) and seemingly let Dawson do his thing, but once you lose or things get tight I’m not sure he can help himself

Weak RPO.

I believe you're referring to a triple option or read zone - not RPO.

RPO by its strict definition (from what I understand) is that you either hand-off or pass.

Read zone is you either hand off or run.

Triple option is having the option to hand off, pass or keep yourself.

Am I thinking this correctly?

Advertisement
My favorite excuse I have been hearing regarding the lack of offensive production:

“We don’t have the personnel or are thin on personnel.”

Tom Cruise What GIF

I am sorry? We don’t have a killer OL, decent wideouts and RBs but somehow, UVA OC is able to scheme a lot a good offense with less and beat UNC?

GT is able to beat UNC with the offense performing the way it did?

What am I missing here?
Tell them to go look at what Guidry is doing misting multiple starters on the DL and no dominant DT.

RPO by its strict definition (from what I understand) is that you either hand-off or pass.

You normally read the Lb. Put the ball in the rb’s stomach and give if the Lb drops. If he comes downhill throw behind him.

Tell them to go look at what Guidry is doing misting multiple starters on the DL and no dominant DT.
Clemson game was the perfect example

Guidry: “ok we are in a tough spot this week. Lacking some key guys for Clemson. Let’s go with a Bear defense”

On offense it feels like we are going in the opposite direction trying to cater to what’s wrong

RPO at its core is hand off or pass.
Read option is handoff or QB run
Triple option is handoff, qb run or pitch to rb

Ive seen read option with pop passes and things of the sort attached, but a read option RPO would be a lot for a QB, not sure much many teams are attempting that.

Advertisement
Back