2025 Davon Mitchell 5* TE from Los Alamitos, CA (‘24 Reclass Likely) [commits to OU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Not duped but per usual people ignore the red flags. He was a solid hire when considering how it plays into Mario breaking his own mold and narrative. That said he isn’t some ground breaking offensive guru. He is solid and a good safe hire when breaking into the new age of offensive football
Do we need anyone or anything groundbreaking? Or just better talent to work in the system we’re trying to implement.

when Dawson was hired, I dont think he was overhyped lol. even cribby wasn't even excited. he was a plan b/c target as OC. it is what it is. hopefully his scheme fits our roster and the players we recruit better (anyone who didnt play with Fred flinstones)

Remember when a group of us said Cristobal was making a terrible decision hiring a pro style OC instead of sticking with a spread offense that clearly worked better for TVD, and then we got lectured by other posters who said it was delusional to think we knew what offense worked better for UM than a coach making 8 million per year? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Advertisement
You say you’re not trying to make excuses but are making excuses. Not trying to be combative but that is exactly what it was. Bottom line: when he went on his own he struggled. When he worked under Dana and his system he did well. He did so bad on his own that he had to crawl back to Dana and worked his way back to being an OC. Like I said, if he just follows Dana’s scheme we should be okay but let’s not pretend there isn’t serious concerns over what he did out on his. You couple that with Mario being the HC and his track record and you can’t blame people for being concerned. I still think we win 8-9.
I agree as well if we run that system. I do recall quite a few posters stating. Stoops wanted a power game. Now it wasn’t very successful so U are correct. That style of play if far from his lineage.

clowns GIF by The 90th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Apparently it's a clown show in this thread

Saying he needs 'talent" to run an Air Raid simply does not compute. Most, if not all Air Raid offenses are doing way more with less. You don't find Air Raid offenses littered with high profile recruits.

He had 3 years at S. Miss. His offenses were not good. He had his time to recruit his own players. And again, he did not run an Air Raid offense at UK or S. MISS. Truth is, Houston did not run a true Air Raid. They utilized concepts of an Air Raid. So we definitely won't see anything resembling a true Air Raid regardless.

With that being said, I hope his 2nd time around with Dana he learned and has decided to run that style of O rather than what he ran at UK and S MISS the first time he left Dana. Because they were not good or what you are hoping to see. Let's hope for the best.
Listen I totally agree as far as style of play. I’m just stating I expect to see a stark difference. From last years offense and this years offense. No way Mario would replace one Broffense coach with another would he?

Advertisement
People can’t just take an L.

Staff recruited a player, close race, lost the battle: L.
Plenty of people can but they/I’m reacting to people trying to act like some of these misses are no big deal because we have bigger needs at other positions. The cumulative misses are a big deal to me and reflective of a pattern this cycle especially now that we are well into July.

No reason for people to make excuses. For whatever reason we’re getting stuffed.

Did you happen to watch his offenses the four years combined he spent at both UK and S. Miss? That is when he was actually OC on his own.

Don't worry, Mario's got this. Dawson and him will work tirelessly until they have a playbook.

- Runs away as fast as I can.

On a serious note, we'll see how it goes. I would daresay it can't be worse than last year.

Don't worry, Mario's got this. Dawson and him will work tirelessly until they have a playbook.

- Runs away as fast as I can.

On a serious note, we'll see how it goes. I would daresay it can't be worse than last year.
It sounds like he was learning under AIR RAID COACHES, but deviated from his roots when he got on his own. Is that true?

Advertisement
Personally, I don't think 8 wins will do it.

Miami is practically being handed 6 wins in Miami(OH), Bethune, Temple, GT, UVA and Boston College. The last 4 teams in that list had a combined 14 wins last season.

Then you have Louisville (trying to replace Cunningham) and NC State (trying to replace Leary) along with UNC, Clemson, FSU and A&M. If you can't split those 6, which includes beating lower tiered recruiting teams replacing long-term starting QBs and beating a few teams you recruit head-to-head with, to win at least 9 overall, the negative recruiting will only get louder......especially when you are likely going to lose TVD and only have JB, Emory and Judd returning at QB.
I agree but for me personally, I have shifted to “Prove it to me first, Miami” Mode.

In theory you are 100% correct with what should be the 6 wins you have listed but me personally, just going to wait until they actually do it because 9 wins and a bowl win should be what they accomplish.

I too say 8-4, especially if there are injuries at key positions (knocking on wood that is not the case).

Listen I totally agree as far as style of play. I’m just stating I expect to see a stark difference. From last years offense and this years offense. No way Mario would replace one Broffense coach with another would he?
You underestimate the power of the human ego.

Mario has had the opportunity to hire some great OC’s, and passed on all of them.

Will we see a better offense than last season? Well, almost anything will be better than the debacle that we were subjected to last season. But I have the feeling that Mario is as stubborn as a mule, and hired Dawson because he still wants to pound the rock (PAUSE), but just with different concepts.

It should be alarming to everyone that most top shelf WR’s have told Mario to **** his own face for two straight cycles, and now this cycle, most top shelf TE’s are doing the same.

The narrative that the “room is loaded” is more CiS conjecture. The fact is that other schools like aTm, Baga, Taint, Jawja, USC, LSU, Texas have loaded rosters, and they’re still recruiting the best of the best every cycle.

It sounds like he was learning under AIR RAID COACHES, but deviated from his roots when he got on his own. Is that true?

I have absolutely no idea. I didn't watch Houston hardly at all. As to the other two stop much the same.

He wasn't a name I was familiar with enough to give an informed opinion on. I don't care to go back and watch games he coached elsewhere. There's two reasons for that.

[BGCOLOR=initial]One, I don't watch college football anywhere close to what I once did. I'm not a fan of the direction it's heading (mega conferences) or the fluidity of movement with players. I also wish NIL was regulated and as intended, not just the best recruit you can buy. Basically this sport has my interest hanging by a thread. Some of that can also be attributed to kids, their sporting activities, work, husband ****, etc. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]Two, when you watch things to try and rationalize a coaching addition, you want to be positive. You want to see something that will translate to here or be improved. I'd just rather wait and see what we get at this point. There's been coaches I've been excited to get and it ended up a dumpster fire here. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]The one thing I'll say is that it was an uninspiring hire on the surface. He isn't some coach that is used to recruiting the type of players we think (unjustly so at this time) we deserve or need to get back to being the Miami Hurricanes we fell in love with. We all wanted a big name that would have kids wanting to play for whoever that was. Right now, he's strange to them and they've gotta learn about him. He's gotta show them he's the guy to advance their career. Hopefully he can show that, but I understand the hesitancy because I have it as well. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]So we'll see when the games are played what we've got. Hopefully we can be as close to full strength and injury free as possible to showcase what he brings to the table as well as the players. We do well, he'll have exposure to lure the next set of prospects here. [/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
True head scratcher. Who has Oklahoma sent to the league from the tight end position. Were like a dam factory for putting tight ends in the league.

You don’t see a bigger problem??? Really???

Literally no. Miami has no business even being in the game with this kid. He’s a Texas kid who had OU as his leader since he was in middle school. And not only did Miami give him enough to think about to make it a true game time pick, I don’t think anybody will be surprised if we continue to chip away and take the lead by December. We offered this kid in March.

If Trader or Patterson bounce and we sign like the 15th ranked class, I’ll be the first one in that thread making it 100 pages cause that’s not good enough and that’s not what we should expect or accept with Mario. But we’re nowhere near there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back