2025 Davon Mitchell 5* TE from Los Alamitos, CA (‘24 Reclass Likely) [commits to OU]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally no. Miami has no business even being in the game with this kid. He’s a Texas kid who had OU as his leader since he was in middle school. And not only did Miami give him enough to think about to make it a true game time pick, I don’t think anybody will be surprised if we continue to chip away and take the lead by December. We offered this kid in March.

If Trader or Patterson bounce and we sign like the 15th ranked class, I’ll be the first one in that thread making it 100 pages cause that’s not good enough and that’s not what we should expect or accept with Mario. But we’re nowhere near there yet.
You end up with the 15th (or worse) class by repeatedly missing on top targets, which we have been doing lately. Let’s call a spade a spade. That’s the “bigger problem.”

Is there time to turn it around? Sure, and Mario has a proven track record as a recruiter. But it’s not unreasonable to be (very) concerned.

Advertisement
Literally no. Miami has no business even being in the game with this kid. He’s a Texas kid who had OU as his leader since he was in middle school. And not only did Miami give him enough to think about to make it a true game time pick, I don’t think anybody will be surprised if we continue to chip away and take the lead by December. We offered this kid in March.
Miami has no business in the game with this kid and a sentence later, no one should be surprised if we flip him in December.

We have business being in on every top TE in the country more than probably any other position.

Oklahoma stuffed us for Nesta and Gilmore too and we were in on those guys first. They’re not from Texas. July is 1/3 gone and we’re clearly walking into walls. I don’t know how anyone can claim to be objective and not see a problem this cycle and a pattern of fails.

when Dawson was hired, I dont think he was overhyped lol. even cribby wasn't even excited. he was a plan b/c target as OC. it is what it is. hopefully his scheme fits our roster and the players we recruit better (anyone who didnt play with Fred flinstones)
That was a commentary on what we do with all players and coaches not just Dawson. You’re right at the time of his hiring there wasn’t overblown hype but I think that was due to him not being one of the known names we wanted (Speaking general not Cribby). Since then I think the hype around him has grown.

I think Dawson will be fine mainly because the bar has been set so low with Gattis but he’s a longtime coach who no one wasn’t looking to hire until Mrs Candle turned the sprinklers on Mario as he stood outside their bedroom window with a boombox over his head relentlessly trying to woo her husband. It’s a huge positive that Mario was open to change but it’s not surprising recruits are taking a wait and see approach with him.

That was a commentary on what we do with all players and coaches not just Dawson. You’re right at the time of his hiring there wasn’t overblown hype but I think that was due to him not being one of the known names we wanted (Speaking general not Cribby). Since then I think the hype around him has grown.

I think Dawson will be fine mainly because the bar has been set so low with Gattis but he’s a longtime coach who no one wasn’t looking to hire until Mrs Candle turned the sprinklers on Mario as he stood outside their bedroom window with a boombox over his head relentlessly trying to woo her husband. It’s a huge positive that Mario was open to change but it’s not surprising recruits are taking a wait and see approach with him.

None of you better ever question @TRick72 loyalty to this program. Here is footage from the Mitchell family Ring camera last night

1688946875434.gif

True head scratcher. Who has Oklahoma sent to the league from the tight end position. Were like a dam factory for putting tight ends in the league.

Yes and No. Miami has. Dawson hasn't. If you go back through his time at Southern Miss and Houston, he didn't use the TE very often. Since he hasn't shown that in his tape, he needs to be able to communicate it to these kids on their visits, show tape of similar offenses with plays he's going to use, etc.

Last year, OU and Lebby had Brayden Willis product 500+ yards and 7 TDs from a TE/HB position. At Ole Miss, he had Kenny Yeboah producing 500 yards, which got him drafted.

Advertisement
Miami has no business in the game with this kid and a sentence later, no one should be surprised if we flip him in December.

We have business being in on every top TE in the country more than probably any other position.

Oklahoma stuffed us for Nesta and Gilmore too and we were in on those guys first. They’re not from Texas. July is 1/3 gone and we’re clearly walking into walls. I don’t know how anyone can claim to be objective and not see a problem this cycle and a pattern of fails.

I meant after 3 months. We offered him in March. OU offered him in the womb. And we caught them in 3 months to the tune of the kid taking his decision down to the wire. Now we’re very much in the game and we have July, August, September, October, and November to convince him to reconsider. Just too much ground to make up in too short a time.

And the “TEU” nonsense is just that. Nobody cares about that **** outside of twitter and message boards. Not a soul who coached any of our TEs who are in the league is here as a positional coach. It’s a tactic people try to use to recruit, and it might pique some interest from time to time, but it’s essentially irrelevant. WHO is coaching you and what scheme you’re running is far more important, not what 7 staffs ago did with Bubba Franks.

I agree but for me personally, I have shifted to “Prove it to me first, Miami” Mode.

In theory you are 100% correct with what should be the 6 wins you have listed but me personally, just going to wait until they actually do it because 9 wins and a bowl win should be what they accomplish.

I too say 8-4, especially if there are injuries at key positions (knocking on wood that is not the case).
“Handed 6 wins”….

challenge accepted training GIF

I meant after 3 months. We offered him in March. OU offered him in the womb. And we caught them in 3 months to the tune of the kid taking his decision down to the wire. Now we’re very much in the game and we have July, August, September, October, and November to convince him to reconsider. Just too much ground to make up in too short a time.

And the “TEU” nonsense is just that. Nobody cares about that **** outside of twitter and message boards. Not a soul who coached any of our TEs who are in the league is here as a positional coach. It’s a tactic people try to use to recruit, and it might pique some interest from time to time, but it’s essentially irrelevant. WHO is coaching you and what scheme you’re running is far more important, not what 7 staffs ago did with Bubba Franks.
You think there’s no recruiting problem this cycle. I think there’s a recruiting problem this cycle. I would 110% prefer you to be right here but I don’t think that’s how it’s going. We’ll see but July is 1/3 gone and this is the month we need.

We seriously need to land most of our remaining top targets. What scares me about that is that it usually doesn’t work out well on the latter end when you are missing a good bit up front.

Believe me I’m hoping otherwise.

Advertisement
You think there’s no recruiting problem this cycle. I think there’s a recruiting problem this cycle. I would 110% prefer you to be right here but I don’t think that’s how it’s going. We’ll see but July is 1/3 gone and this is the month we need.

We seriously need to land most of our remaining top targets. What scares me about that is that it usually doesn’t work out well on the latter end when you are missing a good bit up front.

Believe me I’m hoping otherwise.

I hear you. And i don’t think you’re insane to feel the way that you do. If it was anyone else, maybe I would too. But this dude recruits as well as anyone on earth. I’d be shocked if we continue to strike out with everyone and end up with a subpar class.

I hear you. And i don’t think you’re insane to feel the way that you do. If it was anyone else, maybe I would too. But this dude recruits as well as anyone on earth. I’d be shocked if we continue to strike out with everyone and end up with a subpar class.

Subpar by what measure… and I’m not being a ****.

Is rankings the measure?

Because this place is playing shell games when it comes to Mario’s expectations

I understand and part of me keeps saying there’s no way we keep missing, it’ll happen - It’s not like he’s forgotten how to recruit. The early returns are rough though. We’re missing on some guys I thought would be in the bag.

I can only guess that we are going after some of the toughest players to land and other schools have caught up in NIL plus we showed abysmally on the field last season. We can still pull a really good class but time’s ticking and every remaining player is in high demand and will be a battle with elite programs.

I'm not worried about missing out on a TE..I don't think it'll hurt our team that much.

But it's concerning to keep missing out on recruits that we go all out for..especially to teams who are not in that elite category ( I can understand Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State).

Oklahoma is good but Venables is more unproven as a head coach than Mario is.

Advertisement
Woodiel too new to blame IMO. Firsthand like a few other offensive players we need to improve in concepting how we plan on using these guys in one on ones. This is the 2nd player we failed on offensively selling in the "scheme" Hate away haha
1murhurricane I take what you are saying as true. One question for context...is this a new issue? I ask because we didn't have any issues recruiting TE's last year and we already have one in this year.

[BGCOLOR=rgb(245, 245, 245)][/BGCOLOR]​

Advertisement
I'm not worried about missing out on a TE..I don't think it'll hurt our team that much.

But it's concerning to keep missing out on recruits that we go all out for..especially to teams who are not in that elite category ( I can understand Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio State).

Oklahoma is good but Venables is more unproven as a head coach than Mario is.
In a vacuum spot on although, if we want to get to elite status we need to stack chips and this was such an opportunity. Overall this one hurt because we were told we had a good shot and landing this kid would have given us great momentum but instead we have stalled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back