David Njoku

Don't know why everyone wants him at TE so bad. Good luck to a DB trying to cover that.

I want him there because we haven't had an athlete there like that since Greg Olsen, speed to kill down the seam, and size/athleticism to be a nightmare in the redzone.

If he's fast enough to stay at WR all the better.

Advertisement
I'm telling you guys...look up some of the plays that Devin Funchess has made for Michigan the past couple of years. He started as a WR, and then was "moved to TE", but still runs down the field catching deep balls out of the H-Back/Slot position.

That's who we're getting with Njoku.

I'm telling you guys...look up some of the plays that Devin Funchess has made for Michigan the past couple of years. He started as a WR, and then was "moved to TE", but still runs down the field catching deep balls out of the H-Back/Slot position.

Would make the most sense

From my perspective he can do that as a big receiver. I just don't want him to come in and need to "bulk up" too much as a TE. Not every wide receiver needs to run 4.3 to be effective. Where you see Devin Funchess I see Mike Evans - not literally but big receiver just the same. In any case, I'd take the production of either Funchess or Evans who actually appear to have very similar size 6-5/230ish and skill sets.

From my perspective he can do that as a big receiver. I just don't want him to come in and need to "bulk up" too much as a TE. Not every wide receiver needs to run 4.3 to be effective. Where you see Devin Funchess I see Mike Evans - not literally but big receiver just the same. In any case, I'd take the production of either Funchess or Evans who actually appear to have very similar size 6-5/230ish and skill sets.

This is where I am at. Honestly it's just too early. Yes he could grow into a monster, but he could also stay around the same weight for a while. It's tough to tell sometimes. There's a few different scenarios I could see but I just think it's a ways to go.

Advertisement
Great size. His lower body is big and he will fill out. Like his explosiveness.

He's one of those guys where we will learn a lot in the first couple days of camp. It will be a big step up in competition but he has the goods physically.

That kids legs are massive. He's going to grow- a lot- once he gets into college.

The thing is, his position designation matters very little. Jace Amaro was listed as a TE last year and played 90% of his snaps out wide in the slot. That's a receiver, regardless of if you say WR or TE, that's a receiver. He has the size and explosiveness to hold the S in the seam, which will open up the underneath stuff if we run verts and then dump it off, or if he runs the seam and we run crossers underneath, or if we run four verts it holds the S to the hash on his side. That means someone is singled up.

Football isn't a track event, and if it were that easy every NFL team would simply go sign all the high jumpers, but athletic ability and explosiveness are prerequisites for certain positions and a "move" TE is one of them. Stack trips to the short side, move this kid to the far side isolated on the other side and you put the defense in a tough position inside the five yard line. This opens things up for a flood underneath on the other side as well if teams shade a S or nickel LB to that side.

Certain skill sets lend themselves to scoring in the red zone and he has one of them if he can catch and high-point the ball.

Advertisement

The reasons I say Funchess as opposed to Evans as a comparison is as follows:

1) Evans has more straight line speed...just an athletic freak at his size. Not saying Njoku isn't fast, just saying that Evans is faster getting down the field than Funchess/Njoku are. The builds are dis-similar as well...Evans has a huge upper body and relatively skinny legs (think David Boston), and Funchess/Njoku have that thicker build through the lower body.

2) Texas A&M ran more of a traditional spread, and lined Evans up outside almost exclusively. We run more multiple pro-style sets, ala Michigan, which will mean a more traditional TE/H-Back role may be comparable between what Michigan does with Funchess and what we'll likely do with Njoku.

3) Just go watch Njoku's HS tape. The way he moves, the catches he makes, everything looks like a Funchess doppelganger (and not just because his HS had the Wolverine's helmets).

[video=youtube;ez0dMU9QCcQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez0dMU9QCcQ[/video]

EDIT: I do agree that the production numbers are important. If we can get similar production to Evans/Funchess from Njoku as a mismatch on smaller DB's going up the seam either from the slot or from a traditional TE spot, I'll be tickled.

And remember--just because I'm comparing him to Funchess doesn't mean I think for 100% sure he'll end up as a TE/H-Back, though that seems to be where most are projecting him...however, that doesn't mean he'll never line up wide ala Evans.

Last edited:
As a vikings fan looking at this made me upset haha...what could of been if not for a ****** at head coach releasing him in 3 weeks..

Don't know why everyone wants him at TE so bad. Good luck to a DB trying to cover that.
My thoughts also. Like Langham he'll be a match up nightmare - especially in the red zone.

I feel ya.

191.jpg
192.jpg

& I agree w/ Gatorhater...

Great athletes, but fútbol to football is not apples to apples.

There are contact sports, and then there are collision sports.

Advertisement
man dont underestimate soccer players, esp ones that played competitive. great athletes. dont EVER get the recognition they should for how athletic they are (atleast in the US), only get flack for the few ******** the constantly flop.
think about it, you have to run constantly for 90 minutes. the field is BIGGER than a football field and you are playing with your feet. quickness and speed are a must. its easy to try and jump and catch a ball, something of a natural gift. try jumping and hitting the ball with your forehead while its 8 feet in the air.... i think the best soccer players in the world would match up really well athletic wise against the best athletes in the US

Keep telling yourself that. Everything is different when some big sob running full speed puts a helmet in you.

While I am wearing 100lbs worth of protective armor?? .....no f*ing problem

BWCD good post and good explanation. I have not looked at their lower bodies or studied Evans or Funchess as closely as you have. Having said that I think where he ends up will depend on how big he gets naturally. At his current weight, which I believe is 220 pounds, and his athleticism I think he can play in the slot or even outside. I think he'll run past most LBs and be a match up nightmare for most DBs. Again, my main concern is that we don't take a fluid and explosive athlete who high jumps 7'0" and pack weight on him to fit in a box he need not be placed in. Again, good post.

Advertisement
That kids legs are massive. He's going to grow- a lot- once he gets into college.

The thing is, his position designation matters very little. Jace Amaro was listed as a TE last year and played 90% of his snaps out wide in the slot. That's a receiver, regardless of if you say WR or TE, that's a receiver. He has the size and explosiveness to hold the S in the seam, which will open up the underneath stuff if we run verts and then dump it off, or if he runs the seam and we run crossers underneath, or if we run four verts it holds the S to the hash on his side. That means someone is singled up.

Football isn't a track event, and if it were that easy every NFL team would simply go sign all the high jumpers, but athletic ability and explosiveness are prerequisites for certain positions and a "move" TE is one of them. Stack trips to the short side, move this kid to the far side isolated on the other side and you put the defense in a tough position inside the five yard line. This opens things up for a flood underneath on the other side as well if teams shade a S or nickel LB to that side.

Certain skill sets lend themselves to scoring in the red zone and he has one of them if he can catch and high-point the ball.

This is a good post. I don't care what category he's listed at on hurricanesports.com as long as he's running out and catching passes most of the time he's in the ball game.

When he committed and people were complaining saying that he stinks, I couldn't believe it. The kid is a great athlete, productive as ****. How could you not want this kid on your roster?

When he committed and people were complaining saying that he stinks, I couldn't believe it. The kid is a great athlete, productive as ****. How could you not want this kid on your roster?

Because the comparison was to Rudolph and Lane, which is ridiculous.

This guy will be nasty af here! His ability to pick up yards after catch is pretty amazing. That stiff arm he throws is gonna be world class his junior year here. Love those long striders out there on the green.

Advertisement
Back