David Njoku

WestEndZone

Retired staff
Premium
187.jpg

Here's a pic posted a little while ago on his twitter. Apparently he was attempting 7'1. Not sure if he got it. Either way, it's impressive -- especially at 6'4, 220.

Here's a couple links for quick access (I know we're all very familiar with him at this point):
http://247sports.com/Player/David-Njoku-30655
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/90257/david-njoku

I don't know much about him; just that he was a former soccer player -- could be wrong. I'm not exactly sure how soccer translates to football. Maybe good feet and balance are the side effects? Clearly, he's an impressive athlete. Where do we see him fitting in our offense? How much weight can he hold on his frame? How early can he play? What does OSU's late push on him mean? Did we get a steal?

Discuss.

Advertisement
seems like a freak athletically, but played against a bunch of Rudy's....

so, well see what happens when a college level freak like Figueroa jams him...

seems like a freak athletically, but played against a bunch of Rudy's....

so, well see what happens when a college level freak like Figueroa jams him...

Jimmy Graham didn't even play against a bunch of Rudy's. Just sayin'.

Andrew Luck and Kobe Bryant have a commercial out about how they used to play soccer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
My take for all these kids is that it's really hard to know how any kid is going to perform when the lights come on and its big boy football. What we can't see from videos is whether he'll have the drive, focus, maturity, toughness, work ethic, and poise necessary to develop into an impact player. I assume he will, but you never know for sure - especially as a fan who is removed from him.

I actually loved his highlight film. I thought he looked fluid with the ball in his hand - really coordinated and no wasted motion. I didn't think he was explosive looking at his highlights, but this image suggests otherwise. Kid has some crazy athleticism to get 7'1". Not worried about his competition at the HS level. In high school, plenty of players play against kids that are not their athletic peers - Braxton is a classic example of that. Many are able to elevate their game, some aren't. I suspect David will do just fine.

Apparently he was attempting 7'1. Not sure if he got it. Either way, it's impressive -- especially at 6'4, 220...

Negative @7'1'', but appears he tied the NJ record by clearing 7 ft. & took home 1st place @ state sectionals.

Mad hops. Mad impressive.

dailyrecord.com (last 2 paragraphs)

"The highlight of the boys’ meet was in the Group I high jump, when Cedar Grove’s David Njoku tied the overall state record by clearing 7 feet, much to the delight of the crowd, which hovered around the pit when Njoku was attempting his jumps.

The crowd made its way to the pit to see Njoku first at 7 feet and then three tries at a new state record at 7-1, which he clipped the bar with his feet as he was clearing."

another angle:
189.jpg

Advertisement
Don't know why everyone wants him at TE so bad. Good luck to a DB trying to cover that.

Apparently he was attempting 7'1. Not sure if he got it. Either way, it's impressive -- especially at 6'4, 220...

Negative @7'1'', but appears he tied the NJ record by clearing 7 ft. & took home 1st place @ state sectionals.

Mad hops. Mad impressive.

dailyrecord.com (last 2 paragraphs)

"The highlight of the boys’ meet was in the Group I high jump, when Cedar Grove’s David Njoku tied the overall state record by clearing 7 feet, much to the delight of the crowd, which hovered around the pit when Njoku was attempting his jumps.

The crowd made its way to the pit to see Njoku first at 7 feet and then three tries at a new state record at 7-1, which he clipped the bar with his feet as he was clearing."

another angle:
189.jpg

****, he had it cleared. Slightly better technique and he would have it. Dude is one **** of an athlete for sure! I agree with JHall...he doesn't have to be a TE.

Calvin Johnson was 6'4" 210 coming out of high school. I bet most on this board would have wanted him at TE too, just because he's tall and over 200lbs.

Advertisement
man dont underestimate soccer players, esp ones that played competitive. great athletes. dont EVER get the recognition they should for how athletic they are (atleast in the US), only get flack for the few ******** the constantly flop.
think about it, you have to run constantly for 90 minutes. the field is BIGGER than a football field and you are playing with your feet. quickness and speed are a must. its easy to try and jump and catch a ball, something of a natural gift. try jumping and hitting the ball with your forehead while its 8 feet in the air.... i think the best soccer players in the world would match up really well athletic wise against the best athletes in the US

Don't know why everyone wants him at TE so bad. Good luck to a DB trying to cover that.

It's not a matter of want...It's a matter of where is he gonna logically end up.

You think he's gonna be the next David Boston or something? At least Boston ran a 4.4.

How heavy is Njoku going to be after 4 years in this program?

man dont underestimate soccer players, esp ones that played competitive. great athletes. dont EVER get the recognition they should for how athletic they are (atleast in the US), only get flack for the few ******** the constantly flop.
think about it, you have to run constantly for 90 minutes. the field is BIGGER than a football field and you are playing with your feet. quickness and speed are a must. its easy to try and jump and catch a ball, something of a natural gift. try jumping and hitting the ball with your forehead while its 8 feet in the air.... i think the best soccer players in the world would match up really well athletic wise against the best athletes in the US

Keep telling yourself that. Everything is different when some big sob running full speed puts a helmet in you.

My thoughts also. Like Langham he'll be a match up nightmare - especially in the red zone.

I feel ya.

191.jpg
192.jpg

& I agree w/ Gatorhater...

Great athletes, but fútbol to football is not apples to apples.

There are contact sports, and then there are collision sports.

Advertisement
Back