Dave Aranda

Since 2010
Baylor: 90-55 (with 5 bowl wins including playing in the Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl)
Miami: 85-59 (with 1 bowl win)

Their previous coach is now an NFL coach for a pretty decent team. The potential is there for us but we've been irrelevant for 15+ years.

But this is the U bro!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I think Aranda is ultimately going to be a good head coach, but this board also would have given up its 1st born for Charlie Weis and Ty Willingham when they each started like gangbusters too. The 5-1 start this year looks nice but it's hard to judge a coach after 15 total games. It's a risk and I'm not sure we can afford to make a risky hire at this juncture.
If the choice is between Manny and Charlie or Ty, I would not only give up my 1st born for them today but I’d also let Charlie eat’em

Advertisement
T Boone is dead. That's the problem with having a sugar daddy, you are at the whims of one person.

Yup. And that is something the "Mario is never coming to Miami" crowd fails to comprehend. Phil Knight is in his 80s. He's Oregons sugar daddy right now, but once he dies, Nike is going to treat Oregon just like any other school. They might get some extra consideration in contracts (would be an embarrassment if Nike dropped Oregon) but the salad days of Nike paying for 200 million dollar locker rooms will be long gone.

Starts at the top!!! His leaders are committed to winning!! Our leaders want participation awards and scholars!!! One will convince me all those south Florida kids would have failed like they have at real football schools! Mark pope would have been moved three years ago!! Wiggins would have bought himself a Juggs or sit the bench three years ago!!!#wegressionU

94876AE1-C167-464C-8D0D-FA7381DE6DEE.jpeg
**** - that's interesting.

Could he succeed here, all personal biases aside? don't think it will happen but interested anyway
Oh yeah for sure he’s what Miami needs. Mostly because he’s no nonsense and his teams are tough, he also isn’t afraid to own up to what he doesn’t know. He doesn’t fool around with offense he goes out and finds out what works and he hired a guy who’ll do it, doubt they’ll even approach him tho. This was a text I sent to one of my friends earlier this month before this thread was even made

Advertisement
Oh yeah for sure he’s what Miami needs. Mostly because he’s no nonsense and his teams are tough, he also isn’t afraid to own up to what he doesn’t know. He doesn’t cool around with offense he goes out and finds out what works and he hired a guy who’ll do it, doubt they’ll even approach him tho. This was a text I sent to one of my friends earlier this month before this thread was even made

I agree that he wont be approached but if he was, I’d be encouraged because IMO that would mean someone is actually paying attention, doing some HW and thinking outside the box.

Oh yeah for sure he’s what Miami needs. Mostly because he’s no nonsense and his teams are tough, he also isn’t afraid to own up to what he doesn’t know. He doesn’t cool around with offense he goes out and finds out what works and he hired a guy who’ll do it, doubt they’ll even approach him tho. This was a text I sent to one of my friends earlier this month before this thread was even made
Interesting - just think given our troubles, we need a can't miss type hire.

I'm in the Mario is unlikely category - I just cannot see him leaving Oregon just yet. He'll be tempted but too many blockers here, whereas he has his own fiefdom there.

I agree that he wont be approached but if he was, I’d be encouraged because IMO that would mean someone is actually paying attention, doing some HW and thinking outside the box.
My exact line of thinking, I know his agent will put the prelim feelers out though. But this thread is about as far as his traction will get and he already knows it too

Advertisement
Interesting - just think given our troubles, we need a can't miss type hire.

I'm in the Mario is unlikely category - I just cannot see him leaving Oregon just yet. He'll be tempted but too many blockers here, whereas he has his own fiefdom there.
Yeah we’re big game fishing. I’ll say from everything I know Mario isn’t as unlikely as some may think and I tend to be on the realistic side of things. I’ll still be in complete shock if it happens but I know he’ll give us a chance to get him

Last edited:
Yeah we’re big game fishing. I’ll say from everything I know Mario isn’t as unlikely as some may think and I tend to be on the realistic side of thinks. I’ll stroll be in complete shock if it happens but I know he’ll give us a chance to get him
Oh I got the impression that most here think it's likely. I however don't think it's that likely. Maybe a 20% chance, whereas the Board has it like 60/65%.

You hearing of other big fish?

T Boone is dead. That's the problem with having a sugar daddy, you are at the whims of one person.

I know he's dead, has been for several years, but they still have plenty of cash flow. He was just insanely generous, maybe the biggest donor at any school ever. I would imagine he set up a trust with the university, but who knows.

Advertisement
Wouldn’t be unhappy if we hired Aranda. The guy is a defensive wizard, and he’s proven he can turn a program around In a short period of time.

I know he's dead, has been for several years, but they still have plenty of cash flow. He was just insanely generous, maybe the biggest donor at any school ever. I would imagine he set up a trust with the university, but who knows.
The problem is that he's not around to up the donations if something goes sideways. Never mind the fact that we don't know how the trusts are set up. It could be mostly for academics and the like, and the athletic department could be getting a lot less than they did when he was alive. OSU hasn't throwing around the funds like they once were, so I'm curious.

Advertisement
Back