Culture is not just a buzzword

This isn’t true either man.. he wasn’t universally revered as such amongst his peer or among fans elsewhere. A lot of people liked him and a lot of people didn’t. He’s always been known as relentless recruiter but his credibility as a program builder is sort of over blown. He’s never done it

TrumpyCane wasn’t even a big fan of the Mario hire but he took over a FIU program that was HORRIFIC, vacated wins, and won 0 games the year before he got there and had them winning the conference and a bowl game for the first time in their history.

Took over a Oregon team that was getting worse for 3 seasons bottoming out at 4 wins, took over for Taggart who won 7 games and didn’t win less than 9 games at any point outside COVID year

Mario isn’t some coaching savant but he certainly can build a program

Advertisement
Hi first three years at Stanford he went 4-8, 5-7 and 8-5. You see what I'm getting at here?
@Liberty City El you weren’t kidding brother

Can’t even say a guy that succeeded at multiple colleges and then took a pro team to multiple playoff games and almost a Super Bowl win has more credibility than Mario

Wild times my guy. Wild times.

The coach who went from 3-6 to 5-7 to 6-3 with a win over the current #7 team and a six-point loss at Clemson has bad culture? Do tell.
Same lying *** coach with toxic locker room with lack of culture that cut his braids off. They could barely help kids get NIL deals.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El you weren’t kidding brother

Can’t even say a guy that succeeded at multiple colleges and then took a pro team to multiple playoff games and almost a Super Bowl win has more credibility than Mario

Wild times my guy. Wild times.
When did I say that he doesn't have more credibility than Mario? All I pointed out was the fact that BEFORE he was successful at Stanford, his first few years were what people here would consider unacceptable and would be pushing him out the door. Even Michigan fans wanted him gone because of his inability to beat Ohio State.

Way too many fans have a totally unrealistic expectation and a need for instant gratification. This program has been a complete dumpster fire for a long time and it is going to take a good amount of time to hopefully get it turned around.

When did I say that he doesn't have more credibility than Mario? All I pointed out was the fact that BEFORE he was successful at Stanford, his first few years were what people here would consider unacceptable and would be pushing him out the door. Even Michigan fans wanted him gone because of his inability to beat Ohio State.

Way too many fans have a totally unrealistic expectation and a need for instant gratification. This program has been a complete dumpster fire for a long time and it is going to take a good amount of time to hopefully get it turned around.
You’re so far off base here it’s not even worth discussing now you’re just moving the goal posts

You literally came at me over a point that you made up and now you’re debating yourself basically

But yeah totally unrealistic expectations that a Manny Diaz led team that won 5 of 6 to end the season, returning most of its starters, should be expected to beat MTSU, Duke etc

Pure insanity on fans end for sure

Just **** off already with the excuses

You’re so far off base here it’s not even worth discussing now you’re just moving the goal posts

You literally came at me over a point that you made up and now you’re debating yourself basically

But yeah totally unrealistic expectations that a Manny Diaz led team that won 5 of 6 to end the season, returning most of its starters, should be expected to beat MTSU, Duke etc

Pure insanity on fans end for sure

Just **** off already with the excuses
The fact you can't comprehend my point is telling. But I get it. It's easy to point out the very obvious and go with that instead of getting to the root of he problem.

Advertisement
It's not a buzzword...

But it is a crutch that you guys are hanging onto for dear life without realizing you're already exhausting all your excuses in year 1...

However, it will definitely make for very creative & entertaining excuse making in the future & that's always something to look forward to.
Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

This is a strawman. Not even the staunchest Mario supporters have suggested this.

Since this is already being discussed in another thread...here is an article from a few weeks ago about Sonny Dykes and TCU and the "culture change" that has helped them be undefeated.

Be mindful, Gary Patterson didn't have a rotten program...just didn't change much, lost a few miles off his fastball...but still recruited and evaluated well, with a roster full of speed that has helped Dykes transition to TCU nicely. Simple stuff, like Gary Patterson used to play HIS music (Bruce Feldman mentioned on The Audible - he loved Journey) during practice but now its going to be stuff the players want to listen to. Simple stuff. Instead of being a bit of a hardass (like Patterson), Dykes is more player friendly. “The first thing I did,” he said, “was start recruiting our current roster.”...good story.

Mario should take note.

I think he went a bit too far with the old school stuff and it is adding to the other problems.

Getting rid of the chain, making us wear those ugly *** black and white cleats every weak., no all black uni, no number 1. I’m sure there are a lot of other changes that aren’t as apparent from the outside. So you take away so many things the players like then give them an oc that is hard to like and struggles making the right play call vs the numbers and coverage he sees.

All the fun has been sucked out of the program and crabs and shrimp won’t fix that.

"Culture eats strategy for breakfast"- Peter Drucker

Call it culture. Call it community. Call it trust. It goes by a lot of different names. But talk to any high-performing organization including SEAL team six, possibly the highest performing organization in the world, and they'll tell you the culture or trust is the most significant driver to elite performance.

What happened this year was obviously a lack of culture and a lack of strategy and competency. It takes time to build culture which is what can take you from being good to being great.

But good strategy and competence can make you good quickly.

We have neither which is why this year was such a debacle

Boom!

Advertisement
Mario should take note.

I think he went a bit too far with the old school stuff and it is adding to the other problems.

Getting rid of the chain, making us wear those ugly *** black and white cleats every weak., no all black uni, no number 1. I’m sure there are a lot of other changes that aren’t as apparent from the outside. So you take away so many things the players like then give them an oc that is hard to like and struggles making the right play call vs the numbers and coverage he sees.

All the fun has been sucked out of the program and crabs and shrimp won’t fix that.
My only counter to this - and this just me pontificating - maybe it needed to be. As I've said before...we've been an unserious program for way too long. Perhaps it needed this kind of aggressive douching...I don't know. Coming from the lack of accountability and fun unserious times of Manny Diaz, I can see why Mario took the approach...it has absolutely not worked to yield results in Year 1, but perhaps we will all look back on this season as a necessary evil to get back to a specific standard...because our standard for the past 15 years has been a 7-5 program. If it takes one step back to get two, three, four steps forward...sometimes you just got to eat that ****.

Maybe Mario realized he may have gone too hard on the boys, too. idk.

We'll see.

Either way, this should be a manmaker of a season for some of our players.

My only counter to this - and this just me pontificating - maybe it needed to be. As I've said before...we've been an unserious program for way too long. Perhaps it needed this kind of aggressive douching...I don't know. Coming from the lack of accountability and fun unserious times of Manny Diaz, I can see why Mario took the approach...it has absolutely not worked to yield results in Year 1, but perhaps we will all look back on this season as a necessary evil to get back to a specific standard...because our standard for the past 15 years has been a 7-5 program. If it takes one step back to get two, three, four steps forward...sometimes you just got to eat that ****.

Maybe Mario realized he may have gone too hard on the boys, too. idk.

We'll see.

Either way, this should be a manmaker of a season for some of our players.

This type stuff is fickle.

When it works, it works. When it doesn’t, it blows up in your face and makes you look like a fool.

I am of the school that what matters is attitude and effort. Trying to micromanage this generation is a slippery slope. If you are going to turn them into a bunch of mini -me robots and completely overthrow/undo everything they like, you better EARN their respect and PRODUCE improved results. Otherwise there will be unnecessary mutiny.

Nothing wrong with putting your stamp on as the new lleader of an organization, but getting too caught up in stupid stuff backfires often. Old people have a tendency to get caught up in enforcing **** that doesn’t matter and many times lose their group because of it.

Advertisement
This type stuff is fickle.

When it works, it works. When it doesn’t, it blows up in your face and makes you look like a fool.

I am of the school that what matters is attitude and effort. Trying to micromanage this generation is a slippery slope. If you are going to turn them into a bunch of mini -me robots and completely overthrow/undo everything they like, you better EARN their respect and PRODUCE improved results. Otherwise there will be unnecessary mutiny.

Nothing wrong with putting your stamp on as the new lleader of an organization, but getting too caught up in stupid stuff backfires often. Old people have a tendency to get caught up in enforcing **** that doesn’t matter and many times lose their group because of it.
Definitely a generational divide. That article with Gary Patterson to Sonny Dykes definitely is a nice contrast to Miami's situation. It'll be interesting to see where Miami and TCU are as programs in like 4 years. Both ways - that hard lined, strict, disciplinarian approach and the little more fun players coach both have pros and cons and both methods will eventually wear out their welcome. We were going 7-5 with a child running the classroom and a year removed from that we are looking like our calendar opens up in December with seemingly an adult running the room. We'll see how it goes, I guess or we'll be trying this again in a few. years.

I agree overall. Good talk.

No he didn't. The program he left Mario was very similar to the one he got from Richt. Which was similar to what Richt got from Golden. Believe it or not, Golden inherited a bad team from Randy Shannon, who inherited a bad team from Coker. Manny Diaz was bad, but let's not pretend he broke something here.

:jordan: 🧢

It’s 100% a Crutch and y’all are full of **** dawg. Manny Diaz was ran out of town before any talk of the culture came up

Bullllllllll fckin chit; r u fckin kidding me right now? That’s all we talked about was the fcked up Culture created here under him.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

There’s plenty of more for ur reading pleasure. I sincerely, honestly hate revisionist history. All we’ve been talking about is a fcked up culture here, but since it’s pitch forks for Mario, all ya’ll done forgot the bull chit going on under Manny.

Bullllllllll fckin chit; r u fckin kidding me right now? That’s all we talked about was the fcked up Culture created here under him.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

There’s plenty of more for ur reading pleasure. I sincerely, honestly hate revisionist history. All we’ve been talking about is a fcked up culture here, but since it’s pitch forks for Mario, all ya’ll done forgot the bull chit going on under Manny.
If we’re victims of revisionist history, fair.. what are you and others victims of? Cause y’all are truly misguided on a lot of this **** as much as other side of the coin

Advertisement
Back