***Crootin' Stories*** Vol. 1

Of course this occurs. However, everyone who leaves isn't getting paid. Like Killa said, only the elite and sure fire 1st round talent. Every time we lose a player we want it's not because of money. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. We can't always say we lose because of "this player got paid". If that was the case an argument can be raised that we're playing that game too. I mean we got Howard and Burns who were committed or leaning to the SEC. However, I doubt we paid them but if we can use that excuse against other schools they can do the same with us.

Going back to what Killa said. Only elite prospects get broke off big. Like Peterson, Pouncey twins, AP, etc. I knew a 5 star from down here who left the state to be a Vol. He was telling people he wanted to stay in state but he was given a check for 10k. 10k really? He could have waited for his yearly Pell Grant. He was a 5 star. Not everyone gets paid handsomely to sign with a school.

Dee Morley Likes This

lmao^^^^^ my post above this was just stating this without naming him...it was a Wright special from down south...that street agent

Street agent? C'mon, Antron Wright was head of a distinguished private academy, Choice Prep....probably a bigger fraud than Champagnat.

Advertisement
After getting dismissed from UT he was still expecting money from somebody else?

The kid was really immature. I met him around that same time. I didn't know who he was. I was into recruiting back then. He was dismissed from Utenn, however that didn't humble him. He kept an entitled mindset. He eventually was readmitted into Utenn after getting in some trouble(nothing serious just stupid). However that was short lived because he was later dismissed again by the university. He along with Eric Berry gave Utenn a formidable secondary.

goon...from Freeport, Bahamas...good player + athleticism ( he was a jr track star in bahamas)....still in cfl. Had he came to um would of been in nfl...went to Killian and that b.s.s school that got everybody qualified to go to college...so um ..passed on him

Didn't that kid Ricardo Louis go to that school as well for at least a little while. Funny how quite a few of those guys ended up at a school where trooper taylor was employed(at least while he was recruiting them. I remember a Ricardo decommited and switched to fsu few here coley recruited him. Back to aubrenz later on.

There's a guy on the roster right now, I'm REAL SKEPTICAL about how gulden and staff pulled that one off. On another not, these kids really don't get that much. That's why when that article about some dad saying his kid was offered half a million dollars to commit to a certain school but chose Texas and me anyways because of principle I just lmao. NO ONE is breaking that kind of bread for a RECRUIT. Now an AGENT, I could definitely see giving a kid pre draft that amount in any sports a long as there's a plan In place to pay it back.

yep - that's the sad part. These kids are being bought with a couple thousand dollars here, a promised job there. It's hard for these kids NOT to be short sighted and think long term b/c of how they grew up. Sad.

As for Morley, had he joined KP here at Miami - sheesh, what a secondary. I wanted Morley bad that year.

F&*$ you, Altron Wright!

I don't know if he would have made it at Miami. His career was a near disaster at Tennessee, dismissed from the team twice, at best a decent starter. Now trying to make a team in the CFL. Really a sad situation. Happens to too many kids who don't seem to get it academically. For many, it seems that it's all downhill from their recruitment in HS. For some of them, their college "signing bonus" might be the most they ever make at one time.

The thing is, this has been going on for decades. See SMU. **** teams like Texas, OU, Bama, USC, etc. back in the day made no secrets about paying players. This was in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Miami dominated then, why can't they do so now?

As to Vern's story...I believe him. The recruiting game is shady and grimy as ****...on both sides. The thing I keep telling people though, is that it isn't as widespread as people believe. All schools are doing it so in that sense its widespread, but 50+ recruits in one region ain't getting paid off, it doesn't work like that. Only the elite of the elite once in a generation types get broken off with 50k or the like. The Adrian Peterson, Pat Peterson, Reggie Bush types. People around here would have you believe every S. Florida player that goes somewhere is getting paid. No.

If you're talking about little things like hundred dollar handshakes, hos, or special perks, all schools do that. Yes that includes Miami. Also includes UF, I know of players personally who got all kinds of perks. Only know of one recent player who really got broken off though, like house or car type ****. I'm sure most can figure it out...

I'm gonna go with Cook.

No. The player I'm talking about signed with UF.

Powell?

Nah it would have to be a REAL blue chip player. Gerald Willis?

And yeah this **** happens ALL THE **** TIME. Last recruiting cycle while he was still with FSU Jeremy Pruitt came into my hotel around 3am to welcome a recruit who was coming in from Mississippi and bull****ted with me at the front desk while he was waiting. He asked me to grab him some water bottles so I did and when I came back he wasn't there. A glance at the cameras showed me he was around the corner at the ATM. So I walked the water bottles around to him. Dude was withdrawing a few hundred dollars and broke me off a $20 for the waters. Tell me why he withdrew all that cash at my hotel while waiting on a blue chip safety from Mississippi in the middle of the night?

A few hundred dollars? That's just enough for walkin' around money for the weekend, to buy some gear in the bookstore, some chicken mcnuggets in between all the big fancy meals. I'm sure that's no more than a small down payment for a lot of the kids who come in. In fact, that might go to every recruit, including those who get a bigger payment before signing.

Advertisement
Back