***Crootin' Stories*** Vol. 1

Advertisement
If people think stuff like this doesn't go on after years of compelling evidence and the recent bagman article, then I don't know what to tell you.

There's an arms race going on and we're like a third world country. Our only advantage is location, and that's been mitigated by years of interlopers coming down to SoFla and setting up shop.

That said, our situation isn't hopeless. It's just going to be a helluva lot tougher than we've thought.

The thing is, this has been going on for decades. See SMU. **** teams like Texas, OU, Bama, USC, etc. back in the day made no secrets about paying players. This was in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Miami dominated then, why can't they do so now?

As to Vern's story...I believe him. The recruiting game is shady and grimy as ****...on both sides. The thing I keep telling people though, is that it isn't as widespread as people believe. All schools are doing it so in that sense its widespread, but 50+ recruits in one region ain't getting paid off, it doesn't work like that. Only the elite of the elite once in a generation types get broken off with 50k or the like. The Adrian Peterson, Pat Peterson, Reggie Bush types. People around here would have you believe every S. Florida player that goes somewhere is getting paid. No.

If you're talking about little things like hundred dollar handshakes, hos, or special perks, all schools do that. Yes that includes Miami. Also includes UF, I know of players personally who got all kinds of perks. Only know of one recent player who really got broken off though, like house or car type ****. I'm sure most can figure it out...

I'm gonna go with Cook.

If people think stuff like this doesn't go on after years of compelling evidence and the recent bagman article, then I don't know what to tell you.

There's an arms race going on and we're like a third world country. Our only advantage is location, and that's been mitigated by years of interlopers coming down to SoFla and setting up shop.

That said, our situation isn't hopeless. It's just going to be a helluva lot tougher than we've thought.

The thing is, this has been going on for decades. See SMU. **** teams like Texas, OU, Bama, USC, etc. back in the day made no secrets about paying players. This was in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Miami dominated then, why can't they do so now?

As to Vern's story...I believe him. The recruiting game is shady and grimy as ****...on both sides. The thing I keep telling people though, is that it isn't as widespread as people believe. All schools are doing it so in that sense its widespread, but 50+ recruits in one region ain't getting paid off, it doesn't work like that. Only the elite of the elite once in a generation types get broken off with 50k or the like. The Adrian Peterson, Pat Peterson, Reggie Bush types. People around here would have you believe every S. Florida player that goes somewhere is getting paid. No.

If you're talking about little things like hundred dollar handshakes, hos, or special perks, all schools do that. Yes that includes Miami. Also includes UF, I know of players personally who got all kinds of perks. Only know of one recent player who really got broken off though, like house or car type ****. I'm sure most can figure it out...

I'm gonna go with Cook.

why would it be Cook when he signed with FSU?

I'm gonna go with Cook.

No. The player I'm talking about signed with UF.

This is why we cant become elite no matter whos coach, its different now than back then cuz the rankings are more spot on. Before the SEC schools could go hard and get a kid but Miami knew who was good and that was the advantage of us becoming NFLU. Not anymore everyone knows whos good and we are missing on kids who would be in cane uniforms 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm gonna go with Cook.

why would it be Cook when he signed with FSU?

Apparently because thinking about UF makes me queasy and disoriented.

I'm gonna go with Cook.

Powell?

Of course this occurs. However, everyone who leaves isn't getting paid. Like Killa said, only the elite and sure fire 1st round talent. Every time we lose a player we want it's not because of money. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. We can't always say we lose because of "this player got paid". If that was the case an argument can be raised that we're playing that game too. I mean we got Howard and Burns who were committed or leaning to the SEC. However, I doubt we paid them but if we can use that excuse against other schools they can do the same with us.

Going back to what Killa said. Only elite prospects get broke off big. Like Peterson, Pouncey twins, AP, etc. I knew a 5 star from down here who left the state to be a Vol. He was telling people he wanted to stay in state but he was given a check for 10k. 10k really? He could have waited for his yearly Pell Grant. He was a 5 star. Not everyone gets paid handsomely to sign with a school.

Advertisement

I'm gonna go with Cook.

Powell?

Nah it would have to be a REAL blue chip player. Gerald Willis?

And yeah this **** happens ALL THE **** TIME. Last recruiting cycle while he was still with FSU Jeremy Pruitt came into my hotel around 3am to welcome a recruit who was coming in from Mississippi and bull****ted with me at the front desk while he was waiting. He asked me to grab him some water bottles so I did and when I came back he wasn't there. A glance at the cameras showed me he was around the corner at the ATM. So I walked the water bottles around to him. Dude was withdrawing a few hundred dollars and broke me off a $20 for the waters. Tell me why he withdrew all that cash at my hotel while waiting on a blue chip safety from Mississippi in the middle of the night?

This is why we cant become elite no matter whos coach, its different now than back then cuz the rankings are more spot on. Before the SEC schools could go hard and get a kid but Miami knew who was good and that was the advantage of us becoming NFLU. Not anymore everyone knows whos good and we are missing on kids who would be in cane uniforms 10-15 years ago.

Wrong. A good coach can win big at Miami, even if they don't sign every "5 star" recruit from South Florida. I'm a big Malzhan fan. I have no doubt he could take Miami's current roster and win a title.

There is so much talent in South Florida that many "3 star" guys would be 4 and 5 star guys elsewhere. Just by the nature of pay for information recruiting sites, they cannot give too many South Florida players very high rankings.

Miami should not have such poor coaching that it requires 2001 type talent to cover up coaching deficiencies because 2001 talent is a once in a lifetime situation. Point being, even with missing on some of the top players, there is more than enough talent in the area to win titles. All that is needed is a good coaching staff.

We do play the game also but we cant dig deep like sec so we rely on location, orwhat they call a home discount.

No the player I'm talking about didn't sign recently...and he was a skill guy.

Like I said not hard to figure out. His whole family moved to Gainesville and everything and was living it up in a house they had no way to afford along with cars. Not gonna put it out there but, yea.

Advertisement

Wrong. A good coach can win big at Miami, even if they don't sign every "5 star" recruit from South Florida. I'm a big Malzhan fan. I have no doubt he could take Miami's current roster and win a title.

There is so much talent in South Florida that many "3 star" guys would be 4 and 5 star guys elsewhere. Just by the nature of pay for information recruiting sites, they cannot give too many South Florida players very high rankings.

Miami should not have such poor coaching that it requires 2001 type talent to cover up coaching deficiencies because 2001 talent is a once in a lifetime situation. Point being, even with missing on some of the top players, there is more than enough talent in the area to win titles. All that is needed is a good coaching staff.

+100000000

We don't need 2001 type talent to win. Players like TY Hilton, Rakeem Cato, Skai Moore, Brandon Oliver, Thomas Shuler, John O'Korn, etc were talented enough to play here. We could with players like them. However, we need good coaching.

No the player I'm talking about didn't sign recently...and he was a skill guy.

Like I said not hard to figure out. His whole family moved to Gainesville and everything and was living it up in a house they had no way to afford along with cars. Not gonna put it out there but, yea.

Percy

Of course this occurs. However, everyone who leaves isn't getting paid. Like Killa said, only the elite and sure fire 1st round talent. Every time we lose a player we want it's not because of money. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. We can't always say we lose because of "this player got paid". If that was the case an argument can be raised that we're playing that game too. I mean we got Howard and Burns who were committed or leaning to the SEC. However, I doubt we paid them but if we can use that excuse against other schools they can do the same with us.

Going back to what Killa said. Only elite prospects get broke off big. Like Peterson, Pouncey twins, AP, etc. I knew a 5 star from down here who left the state to be a Vol. He was telling people he wanted to stay in state but he was given a check for 10k. 10k really? He could have waited for his yearly Pell Grant. He was a 5 star. Not everyone gets paid handsomely to sign with a school.

You must be talking about Gerald Williams lol. Ask me how I know...

Hahaaa! You know what? You're close... Really close... Same class and same region but he was a safety prospect... However, I didn't know Williams was like that he had a hard time getting into Utenn. He was an intriguing linebacker prospect but his game never translated.

**** I had deleted that. Didn't wanna put that out there like that LOL

Advertisement
Recruiting is not this staff's problem. They have worked very hard from day one on it. Golden mended broken fences and has build relationships. Our inability to play the handler, mentor game has cost us some top recruits. We really can't do anything about that. What the staff can do is coach better. Kids can still be taught to hit hard, even if they are a little slower of smaller. Our schemes and calls can still look like something the OTHER team knows about a play ahead of time. That has nothing to do with dirty recruiting. Look better on the field and plenty of kids will want that U on their helmet. The cast gets spent, THE U is forever. We will get some greats anyway. Duke is about a good as we have seen down here in a long long time. No amount of money was swaying him. You just have to make sure you do not waste kids like that.

Decided to give yall some access into the dirty crootin world in South Florida until the season starts. My position in the school system has privied me to information from coaches, AD's and former players from local high schools. These stories will let you know why blackvern has turned to bleakvern over the last 2 years. I aint ever lie to yall..

This croot attended a private school in South Florida and committed to an SEC school. A power that be in the school was pushing this SEC school. He was a big time recruit. However the croot's heart strings were pulled and decided to go with his heart and attend the U in a last second switch. The power that be was mad that he didnt honor his commitment to the SEC school and got an earful form this school's SEC coaches as they were mad. Part of this croot's high school scholarhsip was taken from him the last semester on some BS technicality. He had to pay $2500 to graduate. Something that no bigtime recruit ever had to pay. Yes crootin is a dirty game even in private schools down here. When I saw the power that SEC schools have over men in SOuth FLorida... the bleakness began

Sad... Thanks for sharing!

That team was stacked with 4-5 stars

Dee Morley Likes This

Advertisement
Back