Cristobal / Kelly

Interesting thread. First, everyone be civil. You can disagree with @Caned Peach but no need for the personal insults. Not warranted.

I don't agree with everything @Caned Peach has posted. I think a little too much is being made of an isolated incident. We have 0 idea what happens in-doors and how Mario and the kids interact. This thread feels a little like a referendum on Mario's coaching style and attitude and that's taking it too far from what OP posted.

That said, I'm not a fan of the conduct described in OP. I am in a field where mistakes happen all the time. My personal individual leadership style has developed to not play the blame game. I think it breeds negativity and "victim-hood." Instead, I prefer to address the mistake and adjust and figure out how to proceed. I get more from my folks that way and they're more engaged to right the wrong because they know I'm not going to waste time crying over spilled milk or making a show out of it.

Players take their queue from the coaches. When you blame Kelly for the TD, the next time a mistake happens, players [may] follow the lead and blame player "X" for blowing coverage leading to a TD. Now they feel they're the victim b/c player "X" blew the coverage. Instead, I want to develop a resilient team that doesn't play the blame game and instead of feeling sorry for itself and blaming someone else, immediately shifts to how can we respond.

Last, lost is @Caned Peach overarching point (I think) that this generation of kids is different. What worked for us, may not work for this generation. And you can't sit there in a leadership or management position and whine that kids are "soft" or "entitled" or "lazy" because that'll get you nowhere. You just got to evolve and deal with it in order to squeeze as much juice as you can from each kid. If you can't evolve in this field, you lose touch and you won't succeed.

Thanks, Alex. It's always okay to disagree on some or a lot of things. At times we lose sight of that.

I used to travel to a lot of our games back during the Grassy days. Both at home and away. Well, all were away since I lived in Georgia but the every other year GT one. What I found back then is that lots of folks have this online persona they take on when typing that kinda goes against their everyday one. Had nothing to do w/ courage or who's more of a bad **** or not. Just a curiosity that when meeting up in person or being introduced by a mutual friend, that many of these folks were down to earth and not as much like their screen name style. Maybe things have changed a lot since those days. My guess is they haven't and sharing some beers or shots of Crown Royal are still things we can all have in common.

Appreciate your words.

Advertisement
Thanks, Alex. It's always okay to disagree on some or a lot of things. At times we lose sight of that.

I used to travel to a lot of our games back during the Grassy days. Both at home and away. Well, all were away since I lived in Georgia but the every other year GT one. What I found back then is that lots of folks have this online persona they take on when typing that kinda goes against their everyday one. Had nothing to do w/ courage or who's more of a bad **** or not. Just a curiosity that when meeting up in person or being introduced by a mutual friend, that many of these folks were down to earth and not as much like their screen name style. Maybe things have changed a lot since those days. My guess is they haven't and sharing some beers or shots of Crown Royal are still things we can all have in common.

Appreciate your words.

I can assure I’m the same ******* you see here.

I can assure I’m the same ******* you see here.

Rip Do Not Want GIF by nog

Mike Leach would’ve won 10 games this season. Mario lost to Middle Tennessee

The MTSU and Duke losses were bad but comparing Leach’s successes to Mario ain’t it.

Leach has won over 10 games just twice in 21 years.
Leach has more 3 win season than 10+ win seasons.
Leach has never finished higher than 10th in any poll.
Leach has never played in or won a major bowl.
Leach best bowl win was against an 8-4 Iowa St team in the 2018 Alamo Bowl.

There is a difference. You keep it in house and in front of their peers. Something coaches have been doing since the dawn of the sport as we all know.

As to the coaches you mention, there's also a difference b/w coaching hard and dressing down a player on the sideline. Once again, you like so many others, are willingly overlooking the part where I mention to hold the player accountable. So not coaching hard isn't the point I've been making.

Saying something is a players fault isn’t dressing them down. You’re being over dramatic. And it was the truth.

Advertisement

Appreciate your words.
For sure. Remember sniffcaneahora? I did not like him online. Me and him got into it quite a bit back in the days. And somehow he made it to a tailgate years and years ago and he was really nice. Very different from the guy behind the keyboard.

For sure. Remember sniffcaneahora? I did not like him online. Me and him got into it quite a bit back in the days. And somehow he made it to a tailgate years and years ago and he was really nice. Very different from the guy behind the keyboard.

I lost count how many posters were like that. There's one in particular that I can't remember his screen name and only his real name. Never had issues w/ him myself but I may have been one of the very few. Dude in person was pretty laid back and cool to hang around. One eighty from his Grassy persona.

I got chewed out by my dad for being responsible for a goal by the opponent because of a bad throw in in soccer. I threw it too high and the other kid shot and scored. He pointed directly at me and went "This goal was your fault! Only your fault!".

I was nine. And I could handle it. If you can't handle being chewed out in public during a game, you may wanna do something else with your free time.
1668542176115.jpeg

This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.

To be honest, the sidelines were really narrow and all of the UM fans were seated in that corner of the stadium (plus nearly all the GaTech fans were gone at that point), so it was much easier to spot Mario talking to the kid than it would have been at a Hard Rock game.

I'm not really mad at Mario, he was right to say so.

And to be honest, I was cheering for Miami to hurt the QB at that point in the game, what GaTech did was complete nonsense. They were down 28 points with a couple of minutes on the clock. RUN. THE. BALL. Instead, they kept passing and calling timeouts and running out of bounds. It was some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen, that is EXACTLY how players get injured in the most ridiculous ways, when there is literally nothing to play for. It's like when Greg Schiano would coach the Bucs defense to try to contest plays where the other team was taking a knee. It's asinine on a level that you actually need to see a coach pay a severe price for it.

There was no "tie-breaker" on the line that would compel GaTech to try to score a TD at that late stage of the game. Last home game of the year, what if that ****ehead coach had to look a player's parents in the eyes after their son blew out his ACL trying to make the game "only" 35-14 with 30 seconds on the clock? And then an onsides kick?

FVCK THAT ******* GATECH COACH.

Advertisement
To be honest, the sidelines were really narrow and all of the UM fans were seated in that corner of the stadium (plus nearly all the GaTech fans were gone at that point), so it was much easier to spot Mario talking to the kid than it would have been at a Hard Rock game.

I'm not really mad at Mario, he was right to say so.

And to be honest, I was cheering for Miami to hurt the QB at that point in the game, what GaTech did was complete nonsense. They were down 28 points with a couple of minutes on the clock. RUN. THE. BALL. Instead, they kept passing and calling timeouts and running out of bounds. It was some of the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen, that is EXACTLY how players get injured in the most ridiculous ways, when there is literally nothing to play for. It's like when Greg Schiano would coach the Bucs defense to try to contest plays where the other team was taking a knee. It's asinine on a level that you actually need to see a coach pay a severe price for it.

There was no "tie-breaker" on the line that would compel GaTech to try to score a TD at that late stage of the game. Last home game of the year, what if that ****ehead coach had to look a player's parents in the eyes after their son blew out his ACL trying to make the game "only" 35-14 with 30 seconds on the clock? And then an onsides kick?

FVCK THAT ******* GATECH COACH.

I was too busy relishing the win and scoring explosion that I didn't even take that angle into consideration. In hindsight, you're spot on in regard to your take. At some point you wave the flag. Your audition tape, interim HC, isn't going to be looked at seriously. Only we do that.

The MTSU and Duke losses were bad but comparing Leach’s successes to Mario ain’t it.

Leach has won over 10 games just twice in 21 years.
Leach has more 3 win season than 10+ win seasons.
Leach has never finished higher than 10th in any poll.
Leach has never played in or won a major bowl.
Leach best bowl win was against an 8-4 Iowa St team in the 2018 Alamo Bowl.
Leach took a dormant TT program and brought them to relevance.
TT won 9 games only 3 times since 1976. Leach did it 4 times during his tenure including an 11 win season which hadn’t been done since 1973.
WASU was in the toilet and were completely under resourced. The previous 8 seasons they avg 4 wins per. He got them to 9 wins twice, 8 once and an 11 win season. They haven’t been the same since.
Keep in mind he never had the portal, took over a roster even close to this talent, had the resources to hire any coaches he wanted or coached at a school with the name ID of the U.
So you can shoot down his accomplishments all you want. The dude would of had this offense scoring 30+ and the corstal would’ve been very realistic.
WTF has Mario done other than fail horribly this first year? Who’s “plan” are we seeing?
Did Elko take over a better situation at Duke?

mario was right. There is no debate here. Kelly will learn from this. Saban/dabo would had done the same thing

Advertisement
Leach took over for Spike Dykes. TT was hardly dormant. They just were worst booster supported team in the old Southwest Conference.

Washington St made a couple of really bad hires (Doba, Wolff) but prior to them they had Dennis Erickson and Mike Price. Even before Mike Price, Jim Walden took them to and won a Rose Bowl.

Leach is good coach at limited program no doubt, but he has a ceiling. He never will win a NY6 game, he never win a conference championship, etc.

Mario has had a bad first year but he has proven he can recruit at an elite level, he has won a conference championship multiple times, He has won a NY6 bowl. He ceiling is a lot higher than Leach’s.

I’d rather Miami hire a coach who potentially could take them to the playoffs than a coach who could just get us 9 wins a year and then spend every waking moment possible in the keys.

I remember Sniff from Grassy....

Appreciate your words.
Well we would lose out on a lot of the posters here if we go to the bar because they can’t get in

You’re spot on though. I’ve met quite a few from the boards and everyone has been great. Everyone role plays a little online I guess, to different degrees.

I try to be the same guy on and off. I use social media constantly for work so I see it in my industries as well.

I was hoping to get down to Miami for a few games this year, I bought season tickets. Wanted to go to Clemson. But ya know, I just don’t enjoy the torture to that level anymore 😂

Advertisement
Leach took over for Spike Dykes. TT was hardly dormant. They just were worst booster supported team in the old Southwest Conference.

Washington St made a couple of really bad hires (Doba, Wolff) but prior to them they had Dennis Erickson and Mike Price. Even before Mike Price, Jim Walden took them to and won a Rose Bowl.

Leach is good coach at limited program no doubt, but he has a ceiling. He never will win a NY6 game, he never win a conference championship, etc.

Mario has had a bad first year but he has proven he can recruit at an elite level, he has won a conference championship multiple times, He has won a NY6 bowl. He ceiling is a lot higher than Leach’s.

I’d rather Miami hire a coach who potentially could take them to the playoffs than a coach who could just get us 9 wins a year and then spend every waking moment possible in the keys.
TT won 9 games once in the previous 10 years. They avg 6 wins during that stretch before Leach took over. So WTF are talking about?
WASU was even worse. 4 win avg over the previous 8 seasons. Who gives a **** if they had good coaches in the past. They were almost a decade without. He finished his tenure there with 9,8,9 and 11. They’ve topped out at 7 In the 4 years since Leach.
Again, you mention nothing about the portal, nothing about the resources . Are you saying TT or WASU has a bigger name than Miami?
Why is Elko having so much success? Better players? Resources? School?
To say that this year has been “bad” is an unbelievable understatement. It’s been an abomination. It’s the worst season I can remember especially given the roster, the staff HE assembled, the schedule and the hype. And stop with the multiple conference titles. He got in because another team had to drop out due to covid. They went 4-3 that year.

Advertisement
Back