Cristobal / Kelly

Advertisement
Neither has our HC. So...

He’s actually won his conference. You’re bringing up two coaching styles. Kirby, Dabo and Saban all coach “hard”. So you’re right about differing styles working, you’re just failing to provide examples of coaches who have done it “your” way. And TBH, to berate someone in film study and punish them by running until they puke, isn’t any different then holding them accountable in “public”.

He’s actually won his conference. You’re bringing up two coaching styles. Kirby, Dabo and Saban all coach “hard”. So you’re right about differing styles working, you’re just failing to provide examples of coaches who have done it “your” way. And TBH, to berate someone in film study and punish them by running until they puke, isn’t any different then holding them accountable in “public”.

There is a difference. You keep it in house and in front of their peers. Something coaches have been doing since the dawn of the sport as we all know.

As to the coaches you mention, there's also a difference b/w coaching hard and dressing down a player on the sideline. Once again, you like so many others, are willingly overlooking the part where I mention to hold the player accountable. So not coaching hard isn't the point I've been making.

There is a difference. You keep it in house and in front of their peers. Something coaches have been doing since the dawn of the sport as we all know.

As to the coaches you mention, there's also a difference b/w coaching hard and dressing down a player on the sideline. Once again, you like so many others, are willingly overlooking the part where I mention to hold the player accountable. So not coaching hard isn't the point I've been making.

My goodness, you're still on this?

Have you provided examples of successful coaches who don't get in guys' faces on the sideline?

Advertisement
Animated GIF

As mentioned previously, y'all have your opinion(s) and I have mine. NBFD. Like most internet back and forths, I don't expect to change any minds same as mine won't be changed. Pretty sure what we all do want is to see the program regain championship form.

As mentioned previously, y'all have your opinion(s) and I have mine. NBFD. Like most internet back and forths, I don't expect to change any minds same as mine won't be changed. Pretty sure what we all do want is to see the program regain championship form.

Yeah but if we do get better, you can’t enjoy it, because you “parted ways” with Mario.

Yeah but if we do get better, you can’t enjoy it, because you “parted ways” with Mario.

Reread where you're getting that from. Taking it out of context like so many have done here. Funny how you get onto another poster about not possibly knowing whether something has happened or not, but here you are assuming what I'll enjoy or not as far as any success that comes our way. Got it (y)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reread where you're getting that from. Taking it out of context like so many have done here. Funny how you get onto another poster about not possibly knowing whether something has happened or not, but here you are assuming what I'll enjoy or not as far as any success that comes our way. Got it (y)

Wow, you really took that seriously?

Advertisement
I was just joking around. I mean I don’t agree on the part that he’s “too hard“ on his players, but it’s not that big a deal anyway. What else do we have to do this season?

Ya, I hear ya. Hoping we can finish the season on somewhat of a high note and make a bowl so the young guys can get some extra practices in. Other than that, it'll be good to get back to the offseason where we've done better than on the field in recent times. Never thought I'd know what Cub fans went through.

Ya, I hear ya. Hoping we can finish the season on somewhat of a high note and make a bowl so the young guys can get some extra practices in. Other than that, it'll be good to get back to the offseason where we've done better than on the field in recent times. Never thought I'd know what Cub fans went through.

People have a tendency sometimes to fetishize the latest thing, in this case a win. I still think that the most likely thing to happen is we lose the next two games, based on our performance this year. It’s just been that bad.

People have a tendency sometimes to fetishize the latest thing, in this case a win. I still think that the most likely thing to happen is we lose the next two games, based on our performance this year. It’s just been that bad.

Won't bet against you on that much as I hope you're wrong. Been that type of season.

Advertisement
Interesting thread. First, everyone be civil. You can disagree with @Caned Peach but no need for the personal insults. Not warranted.

I don't agree with everything @Caned Peach has posted. I think a little too much is being made of an isolated incident. We have 0 idea what happens in-doors and how Mario and the kids interact. This thread feels a little like a referendum on Mario's coaching style and attitude and that's taking it too far from what OP posted.

That said, I'm not a fan of the conduct described in OP. I am in a field where mistakes happen all the time. My personal individual leadership style has developed to not play the blame game. I think it breeds negativity and "victim-hood." Instead, I prefer to address the mistake and adjust and figure out how to proceed. I get more from my folks that way and they're more engaged to right the wrong because they know I'm not going to waste time crying over spilled milk or making a show out of it.

Players take their queue from the coaches. When you blame Kelly for the TD, the next time a mistake happens, players [may] follow the lead and blame player "X" for blowing coverage leading to a TD. Now they feel they're the victim b/c player "X" blew the coverage. Instead, I want to develop a resilient team that doesn't play the blame game and instead of feeling sorry for itself and blaming someone else, immediately shifts to how can we respond.

Last, lost is @Caned Peach overarching point (I think) that this generation of kids is different. What worked for us, may not work for this generation. And you can't sit there in a leadership or management position and whine that kids are "soft" or "entitled" or "lazy" because that'll get you nowhere. You just got to evolve and deal with it in order to squeeze as much juice as you can from each kid. If you can't evolve in this field, you lose touch and you won't succeed.

Advertisement
Back