Cristobal and perception

Remember when everybody was excited to get Richt because he'd win us at least 10 games every year and that was a big step up.
The enthusiasm for Mark was he would be reinvigorated. He failed because he decided to bring in his 2002 playbook and not adapt, and more egregiously, he hired his son to be QB coach.

Advertisement
It’s almost as if your love for Manure has driven you insane! It’s almost as if there is no help for you anymore! I just can’t understand how someone can continue to support someone who is so bad! You brought up Cristobals last 7 games, well how about you bring up manures last 7 games?
Barely beat NC state by 3 points.
Barely beat vtech by a point.
drubbed the Duke back up basketball team.
The worst loss in Miami history to UNC.
schooled by OKie state and the mullet man.
Drubbed by bama.
And a safety on a bad losing ti app state at home. Smh
There is no comparison, Mario > Manure

Dude it’s not a comparison of the two.

But your selective memory when it comes to Mario’s multiple failures, near misses and comparable losses is admirable.

The enthusiasm for Mark was he would be reinvigorated. He failed because he decided to bring in his 2002 playbook and not adapt, and more egregiously, he hired his son to be QB coach.
Oh, I know. But it will be different with Cristobal.

Dude it’s not a comparison of the two.

But your selective memory when it comes to Mario’s multiple failures, near misses and comparable losses is admirable.
He just beat Ohio state at the horseshoe with out his two best defense players and has won the pac 12 twice and is a rose bowl champ. He’s worked for the best coaches in the business and is a hurricane and a champion here. We’d be LUCKY to have him as our head coach as he is light years better then anything we’ve had since Butch. That is all I need to know, anyone who says otherwise is just pushing an agenda or there job is somehow connected to Blake and Manny. Period! I will no longer debate you on this because you have really gone off the ledge when it comes to Manny, if last Saturday didn’t open your eyes nothing will. I’m sorry you can’t see the incompetence the rest of us can, it’s disappointing. Continueing hating a true Miami hurricane and champion here, while putting the FSU alum corch on a pedestal if you must.

Most important change is AD, along with financial support.

I understand your perspective, I’m just not a believer in guru coaches with magic playbooks. I’ve come around on Mario because of recruiting and bringing toughness back to Miami. He’s a trenches guy, but like his latest mentor adapted to the modern era. Even Saban realized he’ll have games against great offenses where he has to outscore someone. Mario knows this too, he needed 35 to beat OSU and gave up over 500+ yards. Still, he won in the trenches.

I’ve also come around on Lane the past few days, reading about what he says he learned from Saban. I actually think Kiffin‘s personality is a plus, and fits Miami. He needed to mature and grow as a man and a coach, and maybe he‘s done that. Let’s see how Ole Miss does this season.

I don’t see why either couldn’t win at Miami.

Neither likely will ever happen, but who knows?
lane gets paid more than even richt did here and he was the highest paid coach in our program. don't see UM ever breaking the bank for a coach of that caliber which is gonna be a problem for any proven guy out there. we just have to hope we hit on an up and comer someone burns out elsewhere. that's the sandbox we play in

Advertisement
Oh, I know. But it will be different with Cristobal.

Mario is better than Manny that's.a. fact. the question is for a school that has never broken a real bank in terms of paying coaches (riChts money is like kiddie pool money for a proven p5 guy), does paying Mario (hes at 5.5 or so now I think, so say 6.5 per) bring you where you want the program to be (it'll be better than it is now, but it won't be the 80s canes or even 00s canes -- that time is gone and will never come back in todays landscape)?

Why haven’t we ever gone after Bob stoops or one the stoop brothers! They have always been great at evaluating talent and they have roots in Miami!

Mario is better than Manny that's.a. fact. the question is for a school that has never broken a real bank in terms of paying coaches (riChts money is like kiddie pool money for a proven p5 guy), does paying Mario (hes at 5.5 or so now I think, so say 6.5 per) bring you where you want the program to be (it'll be better than it is now, but it won't be the 80s canes or even 00s canes -- that time is gone and will never come back in todays landscape)?
Is "better" good enough? Or will we be like UGA under Richt, bytching how we can't get over the 10-11 win hump.

Just for context, they didn't even win their division and only had a shot at the conference title because Washington had to cancel.
When he had the shot, what did he do? Win the **** conference. Like some people here like to say, you can only play what’s in front of you. Did you want him to reject playing in the game? I see @Go Canes!! still has not responded as well.

Mario haters are so stuck on this one thing. “He backed into it”. I’ll tell you one thing though. If Mandy was in the same situation, guess what would have happened? He would have lost and lost embarrassingly especially after coming off a 2 game skid like he’s known to do.

Advertisement
When he had the shot, what did he do? Win the **** conference. Like some people here like to say, you can only play what’s in front of you. Did you want him to reject playing in the game? I see @Go Canes!! still has not responded as well.

Mario haters are so stuck on this one thing. “He backed into it”. I’ll tell you one thing though. If Mandy was in the same situation, guess what would have happened? He would have lost and lost embarrassingly especially after coming off a 2 game skid like he’s known to do.
Of course you don't turn it down and of course you try to win. But you also don't put that trophy front and center in the trophy case.

I'm not a Mario hater. I'm largely ambivalent on him. I don't think he's the guy to win us our next natty, but I do think it's more likely than with Manny. In any case, I'd love for either of these guys to prove me wrong.

lane gets paid more than even richt did here and he was the highest paid coach in our program. don't see UM ever breaking the bank for a coach of that caliber which is gonna be a problem for any proven guy out there. we just have to hope we hit on an up and comer someone burns out elsewhere. that's the sandbox we play in
I don't get the idea Kiffin is some high-end caliber HC. He was went 6-6 his one year at Tennessee, was then fired as USC, and while he was successful at FAU, it's FAU. He went 3-3 Year 1 at Ole Miss (yes, COVID year, okay), and 2-0 this season against weak competition (Louisiville, Austin Peay).

He may be a quality OC, but it seems his personality is like cat nip to some fans.

It’s not a comparison dude. Mario’s successes and failures are all his.

Advertisement
A few years ago you were right
Yes Sir, it was then but now is a different reality. For me, that Oregon gig made all the difference. Plus, he spent some time around Saban albeit not much but he watched him running team practices, how he prepares for games, etc.

He has always been a good recruiter. Besides, he played here, his roots are here and he knows the culture well. I seriously doubt we can get anyone better.

Yeah, I turned 180 on this one.

Last edited:
Of course you don't turn it down and of course you try to win. But you also don't put that trophy front and center in the trophy case.

I'm not a Mario hater. I'm largely ambivalent on him. I don't think he's the guy to win us our next natty, but I do think it's more likely than with Manny. In any case, I'd love for either of these guys to prove me wrong.

There is currently another coach at a P5 program with extensive Miami ties that has a victory over the #3 team in the country on his resume and has also turned around a struggling program. This particular coach's success was so noticeable he got hired to be a NFL HC, then when he flopped as NFL HC, he became one of the best coordinators in the country working for one of the GOAT college HCs, and is now a P5 HC again. His school jumped in the recruiting rankings almost 30 spots since his arrival and is in the top 25 now.

Do I want Greg Schiano to be HC at Miami? No, I don't think he is a championship winning coach for UM. If you want Cristobal, then you are basically saying you want a less accomplished, but more expensive Greg Schiano. Both would be an upgrade over Diaz but people should understand the product they are buying.

Advertisement

Understandable.

We could try the G5 route again for a Clark / Fickell but recruiting will be an unknown. Freeze would be interesting but no way in **** that is happening. It’s just a shot in the dark if you look at the Fuentes and the Hermans of the world.

Mario is probably our only realistic qualified option. He would kill it and if he surrounds himself like Butch did, #6 is absolutely in the conversation. I believe he will and I believe UM will open up the checkbook for Mario to surround him with said staff.

You take a look at his career progression and how he’s been around some of the all time greats. And then we got porsters feeling like we’re too good for him? I see a guy that has kept on improving and proving his doubters wrong. There is no one with a better resume lining up here.

Give me a name on who you would prefer?

Understandable.

We could try the G5 route again for a Clark / Fickell but recruiting will be an unknown. Freeze would be interesting but no way in **** that is happening. It’s just a shot in the dark if you look at the Fuentes and the Hermans of the world.

Mario is probably our only realistic qualified option. He would kill it and if he surrounds himself like Butch did, #6 is absolutely in the conversation. I believe he will and I believe UM will open up the checkbook for Mario to surround him with said staff.

You take a look at his career progression and how he’s been around some of the all time greats. And then we got porsters feeling like we’re too good for him? I see a guy that has kept on improving and proving his doubters wrong. There is no one with a better resume lining up here.

Give me a name on who you would prefer?
Bill Clark comes to mind.

There is currently another coach at a P5 program with extensive Miami ties that has a victory over the #3 team in the country on his resume and has also turned around a struggling program. This particular coach's success was so noticeable he got hired to be a NFL HC, then when he flopped as NFL HC, he became one of the best coordinators in the country working for one of the GOAT college HCs, and is now a P5 HC again. His school jumped in the recruiting rankings almost 30 spots since his arrival and is in the top 25 now.

Do I want Greg Schiano to be HC at Miami? No, I don't think he is a championship winning coach for UM. If you want Cristobal, then you are basically saying you want a less accomplished, but more expensive Greg Schiano. Both would be an upgrade over Diaz but people should understand the product they are buying.
Who is your #1 candidate?

Bill Clark comes to mind.
I think he’s a great coach. It’s just a shot in the dark though. We’ve gotten burned going that route one too many times.

Will he be a fit culturally down here? That sort of unknown is why I am hesitant.

Advertisement
Back