Cristobal and perception

Oh I think Mario is a good college coach.
That’s not the point. I’m not comparing Mario to Manny
If anything I’m comparing the EXPECTATIONS at Oregon vs what are the delusional expectations from a large portion of our fanbase..no matter all the rest of the good Mario had done at Oregon, if he was at Miami and lost to FSU he’d get crucified..and he lost too Oregon state..which is worse tbh
Like I said, if the previous year was a 12-2 season and we drop a game against FSU the following covid year YET still wins the conference AND/OR knowing our recruiting is more than good, no one is flying banners.

The usual suspects are really arguing against Mario with close losses during a covid year. Just take a look at who his opt outs were. Our only notable one was Greg.

Advertisement
Like I said, if the previous year was a 12-2 season and we drop a game against FSU the following covid year YET still wins the conference AND/OR knowing our recruiting is more than good, no one is flying banners.

The usual suspects are really arguing against Mario with close losses during a covid year. Just take a look at who his opt outs were. Our only notable one was Greg.
Maybe not banners..but the “he won with others players” would definitely be said..and the **** talking would be there

Question for the board, so Oregon beats OSU on the road and everyone is crowning Cristobal. However, the week before they barely beat Fresno State at home 31-24. Thoughts on this? I know a lot of people would take Cristobal here in a heartbeat (including me), but you know this board would have been killing him for that week 1 score.
I used to be on the same boat as you, but he beat someone. Manny never beat anyone especially an away game. I gave up, the choice should have been Lane or Mario. This is coming from a Mario hater, just give it up. we hired the wrong coach for the 3rd time.

Covid year excuses for Oregon losses? Ok.

Covid the only reason Oregon even backed into the championship game? Not ok.

Jfc you’re such a hypocrite.

Advertisement
The money that you have to throw at Cristobal to come is way too high. If he doesn't pan out we are looking at a Taggert situation in our hands.
I would like to go for a guy like Napier or Fickell to come in.
I would give Tom Herman a look too. The man did really good things at Houston, and I know his time in Texas wasn't great, but he kept those games competitive. It could be that Texas just wasn't the right place for him.

If you want a "culture change" coach, Cristobal is an upgrade over Diaz. But so is Schiano. I don't see a big difference between Cristobal and Schiano. They are all the same style coaches. Oregon upset #3 Ohio State. Back in 2006, Rutgers upset #3 Louisville. Rutgers has 5 4 stars currently committed for 2022, last year they had 2. Willie Taggart had a top 20 class at Oregon, Helfrich had multiple top 20. Any minimally competent recruiter isn't going to have trouble recruiting there with all that money so it's not as if Cristobal went to Washington State and started pulling in top 20 classes for the first time in decades. I'm not trying to say he isn't a good recruiter, I'm saying the baseline for an average recruiter at Oregon should be around top 15. Cristobal got them to top 6, which is an accomplishment (Richt got Miami to top 8 and a higher overall recruiting score than Cristobals btw) . Schiano looks like he is taking Rutgers from mid 40s to top 25. I'm not pro Schiano, just saying I don't see a lot of difference between him and Cristobal. They are both good culture coaches, but I would like to go in a different direction and look for a "scheme guru" coach for the first time since Coker was fired.
I'd take schiano over Mario all day

Covid year excuses for Oregon losses? Ok.

Covid the only reason Oregon even backed into the championship game? Not ok.

Jfc you’re such a hypocrite.
JFC, you are so dense.

Didn't you say you can only play who's in front of you? I know it would have made you very happy that he lose the CG but you're holding on to "he backed into the CG" because you have nothing else. Facts are he was in the CG and won the conference yet again.

What, you wanted him to reject playing in the game? Go take a lap.

Then, let me know what your excuses are for Mandy getting grounded and pounded to death with no notable loss except Greg (still had another 1st round DE).

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with your point, but Oregon used to recruit players to fit a system which didn't translate to class rankings.

Add to this...this just correlates to USC being down.

This is how sorry west coast football.is..there is legitimately no more than 2 teams that can recruit at a certain level.

Oregon has MONEY and drops bags..**** they got caught since we have
Cristobal for sure can recruit...but that's all he can do. Keep him away he would be a Manny like failure as his 1 strong point would be negated here. ( he won't be the big dog recruiting against pac 12 schools)

It's easily worse. It's the worst power 5 conference easily. Stop this sh-t.

From a talent perspective..the acc and big 10 fluctuates behind the sec. The majority of the pac 12 conference is some sh-t..and cristobal loses to 2 of those bum teams yearly.
Honestly idk how any one could debate this. It’s the worse conference and Oregon is in the worse division. As to Mario, you ask anyone who follows cfb and they’d tell you his game day coaching is conservative and questionable. But nobody is really saying manny is better. But Mario has all kinds of money and resources behind him that 90 Percent of the HCs don’t. That’s just fact

Advertisement
Dabo went 6-7 in Year 3, but 9-5 the year before. Also, 5 of the Year 3 regular season loses were by 10 points or less. So Dabo’s argument could have been “We’re this close“.

I agree though, some may feel spending $5.5M/yr on a HC makes no sense if the ROI isn’t there. Spend $4M/yr, be ‘competitive’, and collect conference TV money.

Then there’s the ‘elite programs bring in other revenue….donations….blah blah blah’. This may be true but the school as whole needs a collective pro-athletics vision. Miami doesn’t have and has never had such leadership.

The program needs to get lucky with the right hire, and spend enough to retain him, or have an epiphany that money spent wisely on successful athletics can benefit the University. Or, a befactor donating enough money they won’t say no.

Dabo went 9-4 in year 2 with a full season. Diaz went 8-3 in year 2, and the team had Michigan State, Wagner, and Temple taken off the schedule due to Covid. If he wins 2 of 3 (odds are we win all 3) that's easily a 10 win season. And in 2019, if the offense had simply managed 28 ppg (that's paltry in cfb, below 50th percentile ), that is a 10 win team too. Understand that I'm not defending Diaz, I'm just saying if we are parsing the data to come up with the justification for giving Dabo a break, then to be fair, Diaz (or any coach for that matter) should get the same treatment. Saban was garbage in his first 3 seasons. Butch went 5-6 in year 3. You generally don't know what you have in a HC until at least year 4, which makes sense because that is when the roster should consist almost entirely of the new coach's recruits (again, this is my theory for what a businessman on the BOT might be thinking)

I've tried to isolate what X factor sets the elite programs apart. Coaching? Money? Admin support? Well, we've seen the very richest programs fail (Texas). We've seen championship winning coaches go to different programs and look like garbage (Les Miles). We've seen incompetent corches win championships (Larry Coker). We've also seen programs that had virtually no admin support or resources win multiple rings (Miami). So if I had to pick one thing that Miami could do that would turn us into a title contender again, it would be this: cheat. Instead paying a HC $7 million, get a $5 million coach and spend the other $2 million on buying 3 or 4 five star recruits per class and/or pay the top end talent to stay instead of going to the NFL. Do that 3 years in a row and by year 4 you should have a roster with at least 8 5 star recruits, which should put you in the running for a national championship. The NCAA is a toothless fraud, the only thing that matters is the conference commissioner and the acc commissioner will be grinning from ear to ear if Miami wins championships again because his bank account will have some extra zeros in it.

Man its not about defending Manny. He wasn't even my choice when he got hired and I couldn't care less if he got fired tomorrow if the next guy wins.

Just answer me this. Have Mario come here and replicate his exact accomplishments here. Are you seriously telling me the same chuckleheads clamoring for him today wouldn't be wanting his head 2 seconds after Fresno State tied the score in the fourth quarter last Saturday?

"How the **** do you lose to Cal and Oregon State back to back?? Mario's guys are soft and he can't get team ready!"

"Mario got schooled by Campbell and barely beat Fresno ******* State as a three TD favorite after losing to two **** teams!!!"

"He made a guy tearing up the NFL look average!"

"He backed into the P12 championship and beat a **** USC team!"

That's why it's impossible for me to take most of these guys serious. They see only what they want to see.
Yes, you'd have low-IQ mouthbreathers posting that type of crap after every mediocre performance.

But there would be fewer mediocre performances! And that's the point - to win more often. The point is not to minimize whining by the burger-flippers on CIS. Who cares if you can take them seriously or not? Would Mario perform better than Manny? You seem to agree that he would...

Dabo went 9-4 in year 2 with a full season. Diaz went 8-3 in year 2, and the team had Michigan State, Wagner, and Temple taken off the schedule due to Covid. If he wins 2 of 3 (odds are we win all 3) that's easily a 10 win season. And in 2019, if the offense had simply managed 28 ppg (that's paltry in cfb, below 50th percentile ), that is a 10 win team too. Understand that I'm not defending Diaz, I'm just saying if we are parsing the data to come up with the justification for giving Dabo a break, then to be fair, Diaz (or any coach for that matter) should get the same treatment. Saban was garbage in his first 3 seasons. Butch went 5-6 in year 3. You generally don't know what you have in a HC until at least year 4, which makes sense because that is when the roster should consist almost entirely of the new coach's recruits (again, this is my theory for what a businessman on the BOT might be thinking)

I've tried to isolate what X factor sets the elite programs apart. Coaching? Money? Admin support? Well, we've seen the very richest programs fail (Texas). We've seen championship winning coaches go to different programs and look like garbage (Les Miles). We've seen incompetent corches win championships (Larry Coker). We've also seen programs that had virtually no admin support or resources win multiple rings (Miami). So if I had to pick one thing that Miami could do that would turn us into a title contender again, it would be this: cheat. Instead paying a HC $7 million, get a $5 million coach and spend the other $2 million on buying 3 or 4 five star recruits per class and/or pay the top end talent to stay instead of going to the NFL. Do that 3 years in a row and by year 4 you should have a roster with at least 8 5 star recruits, which should put you in the running for a national championship. The NCAA is a toothless fraud, the only thing that matters is the conference commissioner and the acc commissioner will be grinning from ear to ear if Miami wins championships again because his bank account will have some extra zeros in it.
Amen

Advertisement
We know Cristobal is a good HC but what is he good at? Defense? I feel like we need a mastermind on offense. Someone that can get a DC and let the DC worry about the defense. Offense is winning games in CFB.

I wasn’t big on Mario , I used to think it was crazy to even think about hiring the guy. But he did what manny should’ve done , he went away and proved himself. I don’t care how big of a hater you are you have to give props to what he’s done there. It’s ok to say you were wrong of he’s proven himself.

I wasn’t big on Mario , I used to think it was crazy to even think about hiring the guy. But he did what manny should’ve done , he went away and proved himself. I don’t care how big of a hater you are you have to give props to what he’s done there. It’s ok to say you were wrong of he’s proven himself.
Hopefully when Diaz is let go James follows shortly and the Soffer family is all in on bringing Mario back home.

I'd love for Diaz to wake up in a few hours a brand new man who finally gets it, but that isn't going to happen. I can't blame him for accepting this job. It's not his fault it was offered. He is in over his head and needed to learn elsewhere. Unfortunately that did not happen. It is clear that is is in over his head. Like they say, what should be done eventually must be done immediately. Diaz needs to go, but I don't think he will be gone this year unless there is an epic collapse.

I feel a 4-5 win season is the type of year that would lead to him potentially being let go. 4 and he is gone. 5 wins and I can see him and Blake somehow surviving. Even if he goes 6-7 again I don't see changes being made. If he did it again next year, then I see him potentially being let go. I hope for our sake we don't have to wait that long, but I won't bet on Manny being let go this year.

Advertisement
Back