Could Miami win a title with an all south Florida roster?

Advertisement
We need to end the myth about South Florida QBs. Here are your starting QBs since 2012:

2012- Geno Smith
2013- Teddy Bridgewater
2014- Brandon Doughty (leading passer in nation, drafted by Dolphins)
2015- Winky Flowers
2016- Lamar Jackson
2017- Lamar Jackson

South Florida produces a ton of kickers and punters. Last year, we would've had Eddie Pineiro (Radiers) and Justin Vogel, who was a stud for us.

Like I said above, that 2017 roster wins the national title going away.

There might be some confusion about what hypothetical the OP is posing then. Is this a "hindsight is 20/20 post facto South Florida all star team" or is he saying if we ONLY recruited South Florida and hit on most of our targets?

And I agree that the South Florida QB stereotype is overplayed but the position definitely isn't remotely commensurate with other skill positions down here. I mean look at your list going back almost a decade. You had to include a kid from Western Kentucky and a kid in Flowers that barely threw at a 50% completion rate his senior year in a sub standard conference.

Advertisement
Those would be the weak positions on what is basically an All-Star team. But you would have enough.

At tackle, you'd have Yodney Cajuste (top NFL prospect out of WVU) and Reggie Bain (All-Conference and potential pro) as excellent bookends. At guard, you have Navaughn Donaldson (who is a star inside) and Frederick Johnson (senior starting RG for Florida). I'd put Chris Gaynor (starter at TCU) or his brother Corey Gaynor at center.

This is just off the top of my head. There are other guys who start at FBS level and can be serviceable backups.

At defensive tackle, you'd have Slaton (starting for UF and mammoth) and Lamonte McDougle (freshman AA) as starters. Guys like Khairi Clark, Jon Ford and Nesta Silvera give you talented depth.

The QB position has been loaded with stars for the past five years. Same with RB, WR, DE, LB, S and CB. Those would be the best units in the country every season.
Why didn’t the staff go after McDougle?
Gaynor was asked on the podcast who was the best dt he ever faced and he said without question it was McDougle.

Advertisement
Why didn’t the staff go after McDougle?
Gaynor was asked on the podcast who was the best dt he ever faced and he said without question it was McDougle.
Probably something to do with him being 6’1...I’ve noticed that about the linemen...DT 6’2 up and DE 6’3 up.

An exclusively south Florida team would be elite at CB, WR, Safety and Running Back. Good at LB, DE and TE. And crap at OL, DT and QB

Skill position, we'd kill it. But DT, OL talent isn't consistent down here.
It's getting somewhat better I think. Not loaded, but better than it was in '80's. We used to win in the late '80's with almost tiny guys like Bobby Garcia at 238 lbs. People think our great teams were full of studs on the lines. They really weren't. We went with a lot of overachievers, typical south Florida kids with chips on their shoulders.

I recall Butch Davis saying we could recruit tri-counties and win NC's. That was in late '80's and he was in charge of recruiting for a time. Our biggest problem back then were so many kids bad off academically. Schools down there sucked from what I heard. We passed on so many kids. A lot of prop 48s.

Advertisement
Probably something to do with him being 6’1...I’ve noticed that about the linemen...DT 6’2 up and DE 6’3 up.
Bob Karmelowicz liked kids 6'1-6'3", 280-300. He said find me kids built like that we'll make them into players. He did, too. Maryland, Tez, others. The game was a bit different in the late '80's, though. The game seemed to be played a bit tighter, more QBs under center, maybe thicker squattier players were better back then. Now it seems we want some guys who are longer, at least for a 3-tech.

Here is how your starters would've looked last year on offense:

QB- Lamar Jackson
RB- Sony Michel/Mark Walton/Travis Homer
WR- Calvin Ridley
WR- Marquise "Hollywood" Brown
WR- Tre'Quan Smith (third round pick)
TE- Ravian Pierce
OT- Yodney Cajuste (projected high NFL pick)
OT- Reggie Bain (projected NFL pick, All-Conference)
OG- Navaughn Donaldson (freshman AA)
OG- Kc McDermott (Jaguars practice squad)
C- Chris Gaynor (current starter for TCU)

That offense is putting up an enormous amount of points, especially with an innovative spread mind.

On defense, this is what you'd be looking at:

DE- Nick Bosa
DE- Brian Burns/Joe Jackson
DT- RJ McIntosh
DT- Lamonte McDougle (freshman AA)
LB- Devin Bush
LB- Skai Moore (day 1 starter for Colts)
CB- DeAndre Baker
CB- Carlton Davis
CB- Reshad Fenton
S- Jaquan Johnson
S- Julian Battle

Good luck throwing on that team. Best pass rush in the nation, best DBs in the nation and a LB crew that flies.

This team would win the national championship.

The sad thing about this. Skai, Burns, Fenton, Baker, Battle and Carlton were all attainable guys on defense. Golden basically didn’t even attempt to recruit Skai, Fenton and Battle. At least from what I knew, Skai and Fenton were dying to go to Miami. We were transitioning and late to the game for Burns aside from Heritage issues back then. Carlton basically said Miami was his dream school but he refused to play for the coaching staff and openly apologized for it in his interview with Manny navarro. Golden didn’t even make an attempt to recruit Baker either.

Devin Bush Jr. could have been a possibility if they were willing to give his father a spot on staff.

McDougle a miss by Coach Kool for sure considering he was legacy too. He was recruiting him but wasn’t a take and I think a bit of a mistake in that class only taking 1 guy in Ford.

Bosa was never going to come but still would have been amazing to watch JoJo and Burns at the ends and almost forgot that we would have had Chad Thomas as well.

The oline all goes back to evaluations from kehoe. Terrible that these guys were local and he was trying to pluck guys like Loftus from Tallahassee.

Sony and Lamar are Canes imo under a legitimate staff at Miami.

Ridley could have been too but we all know the issues that came about along the way, Bama gave him the whole 9 yards and admission.

Hollywood was really interested in coming to Miami but academics was the hurdle.

Regardless, that list is so **** impressive. Trequan and the other OL were definitely sleepers but I think a legitimate staff would have plucked at least 1 or 2 of those OL.

I’m confident we will see less of this moving forward. It will never be perfect, it’s impossible but we are definitely capable with this staff to have about 75-85% of that type of group.

Almost forgot to mention. You could throw in Antonio Callaway too at WR.

Advertisement
Back