Cortez Mckenzie commits

Cry me a river 😰😰😰
You'd be surprised at how many kids we have taken after not playing their senior year, either through injuries or for some other reason. Remember Jimmie Jones, the DT in the '80's? I think Edge might have missed part or all of his senior year with an injury.

You never know....the coaches might have seen something they liked. They probably saw something that leads them to believe this kid will come back from the injury and be a player. They can drop him later if he looks bad after his senior year.

Advertisement
You are forgetting that when Butch was on staff as a DL coach he was bringing in tons of top talent.

Diaz has had trouble closing on top talent his entire time as a DC.
Butch was NOT recruiting top talent if you mean highly-ranked talent. Name all the elite prospects he recruited for the DL? He and JJ evaluated underrated talent or kids with great potential.

Butch was NOT recruiting top talent if you mean highly-ranked talent. Name all the elite prospects he recruited for the DL? He and JJ evaluated underrated talent or kids with great potential.

Did you not read the comment I responded to? I was saying no one gave Butch schit for bringing in underated "gems" because when he was here as a position coach he brought in guys that turned out to be elite. Manny did not do that as a DC.

Also, the recruiting magazines and phone lines in those days were complete jokes. Now the recruiting services are very very good and are correct more often than they are wrong. 90% of 5 stars end up getting drafted.

Advertisement
Butch wasn't the DL coach in 89....he left with JJ after 88 season...
He was only DL coach for one of those years. I believe Harold Allen was DL coach in '83 and Bob Karmelowicz was DL coach in '89 (with Ed Orgeron as grad assistant, I believe.). Our head coach was Schnelly in '83 and Dennis Erickson in '89.

Do you agree that you can be a program that produces NFL caliber OL, and still not win that many games?

Would you rather stack up 4 and 5 star guys and compete for NCs or do you want to our high point of the decade be winning 7 games and send a handful of guys to the NFL on the OL?

Advertisement
Did you not read the comment I responded to? I was saying no one gave Butch schit for bringing in underated "gems" because when he was here as a position coach he brought in guys that turned out to be elite. Manny did not do that as a DC.

Also, the recruiting magazines and phone lines in those days were complete jokes. Now the recruiting services are very very good and are correct more often than they are wrong. 90% of 5 stars end up getting drafted.
You said "bringing in tons of top talent." That can be fairly read as though you were saying he was recruiting elite talent.

You're probably right about the recruiting services. Much better now. More camps, too, where kids can be seen plus 7-on-7's.

Who did we have in '80's evaluating?

Max Emfinger -- distinguished for being honored by the eponymous Max Emfinger National Memorial Recruiting Trophy (unique in being perhaps the only memorial award named in honor of somebody still living)
Tom Lemming (former mailman--no offense to postal workers)
Allen Wallace -- former lawyer (a lawyer, enuff said)
Bill Buchalter -- newspaper guy, just scooped up latest gossip, no evals
G&W -- Grosz & Weber. Heavy Northeast and Pennsylvania orientation. Called one of them one evening and ended up talking to somebody drunk. This was back about '89.

Advertisement
He didn't really blow up until after the playoffs though. Of course your cousin knew about him because we had already offered and had him committed at that point. lol
I'm not sure if Sean was high up on the recruiting service lists ..in fact I might have stopped subscribing to those lists by then. I remember getting a lot of early information on guys like Sean Taylor, Roscoe Parrish and one other top local kid from Mike Bakas, wherever he was writing at the he time.

You said "bringing in tons of top talent." That can be fairly read as though you were saying he was recruiting elite talent.

You're probably right about the recruiting services. Much better now. More camps, too, where kids can be seen plus 7-on-7's.

Who did we have in '80's evaluating?

Max Emfinger -- distinguished for being honored by the eponymous Max Emfinger National Memorial Recruiting Trophy (unique in being perhaps the only memorial award named in honor of somebody still living)
Tom Lemming (former mailman--no offense to postal workers)
Allen Wallace -- former lawyer (a lawyer, enuff said)
Bill Buchalter -- newspaper guy, just scooped up latest gossip, no evals
G&W -- Grosz & Weber. Heavy Northeast and Pennsylvania orientation. Called one of them one evening and ended up talking to somebody drunk. This was back about '89.

By the time he was HC all those guys had been drafted and spent time in the NFL so we all knew he was drawing in top talent. At this point only one of Mannys LBs are getting serious burn.

They are significantly better now. Even 12 years ago only 40% of 5 stars ended up on rosters. Now its over 90%.

Advertisement
How friggin old are you? Clearly you weren't around back then.

Hardly anyone knew of Sean Taylor when Butch go him to commit. Taylor blew up in his senior year. There was even an interview on the old Grassy board with Steve Spurrior when he was at Miami's Pro Day as the head coach of the Redskins. Besides gushing at the talent at Miami, he specifically made mention that by the time anyone knew about Sean Taylor his senior year, it was too late. Davis already had him bound and gagged and going to Miami. It was only after his season he was selected player of the year in Fla.
I'm 58 and my cousin was Seans Lead recruiter.....run along my man...I need lessons about SeanTay like I need another hole in my head....

Trust your staff is my point, most of these kids playing the bag game, stats aren’t bad for the game s he played in

Advertisement
Back