Cortez Mckenzie commits

Would you rather stack up 4 and 5 star guys and compete for NCs or do you want to our high point of the decade be winning 7 games and send a handful of guys to the NFL on the OL?

Maybe it's because i'm not a star *****, but I honestly don't think MIA's return atop the college football world hinges on loading the roster with 4 & 5 star players. In the last decade Bama has had the most #1 recruiting classes according to the various outlets, but the majority of those players that ultimately get drafted end up doing absolutely nothing in the NFL. When the MIA football program was at its apex, we not only contended for NCs, but also produced elite NFL talent. Simply attempting to win recruiting ranking contests is never going to help ensure that MIA recaptures the glory of its past.

Advertisement
You are forgetting that when Butch was on staff as a DL coach he was bringing in tons of top talent.

Diaz has had trouble closing on top talent his entire time as a DC.

Most certainly a concern, but pessimistically optimistic and willing to give Diaz time to see what he can do.

IMHO, we just need to start winning and a lot will solve itself. As mentioned, this is two years out, so it's low risk and potential high reward. Time will tell.

Stop it....I personally went on a "so called recruiting trip" with my cousin (who happened to be Sean's main recruiter too UM) to see Sean play twice....To say nobody knew about Sean is Horsesh*t....Kid had 44 TDs...but nobody knew about him??....Lol...I know for a Fact thats a Crock....

I love you man, but you are wrong about this. I respect what YOU knew and what your cousin knew, but ST was NOT that well-known outside of Dade County until late in his senior season.

First, the poster did not say that "nobody" knew about Sean Taylor, he said that he "doubted" that "most" of the CIS posters knew about him at the time of his commitment to UM, and I think that is true.

I lived in Miami at the time, I am a triple UM alum, I followed all the media at the time (including this new thing called the internet), so there's no way in **** that I'm biased on this, and even at the time, Taylor was considered a good signee, but he was not CONSIDERED the cornerstone of that class AT THAT TIME. Sean went to a private school, he did NOT get a ton of coverage in the Herald until very late in his HS career.

Even if everyone in Dade knew about ST, that does NOT equate to him being well-known outside the area.

SINCE THAT TIME, there has been an internet explosion. It is easy today for a coach in Los Angeles to be aware of a kid who has over 40 TDs in Dade County, but it was not easy at THAT TIME.

Here are some quotes from the UM press release for the 2001 signing class (which was the class that Coker had to hold together after Butch left for Cleveland):

"This is an exceptional class of recruits and is a group that we take particular pride in," said Coker. "In addition to being the first class of signees during my tenure as head coach, these kids stuck with us throughout the recruiting process. In light of the coaching change we went through, it is a tribute to the efforts of our coaches and the attitude of these student-athletes that we ended up with such a fine class. Our coaching staff is excited about the prospect of working with these players in the future."

The Hurricanes signed 10 players from the state of Florida in a geographically diverse class that included signees from seven U.S. states and Canada. Three players from Texas, two from New York and a player each from California, New Jersey, Delaware and South Carolina signed on to the Hurricanes football squad. The group includes two Parade All-Americans and nine SuperPrep All-Americans.

[Antrel Rolle and Leon Williams were the Parade All-Americans.]

[Rashad Butler, Thomas Carroll, Frank Gore, Orien Harris, Quadtrine Hill, Roger McIntosh, Antrel Rolle, Sean Taylor, and Leon Williams were the SuperPrep All-Americans.]

Sean Taylor
DB, 6-3, 220
Miami, Florida/Gulliver Prep
One of the outstanding players in Florida during his senior season, Taylor soared up recruiting lists during the 2000 season...

Maybe it's because i'm not a star *****, but I honestly don't think MIA's return atop the college football world hinges on loading the roster with 4 & 5 star players. In the last decade Bama has had the most #1 recruiting classes according to the various outlets, but the majority of those players that ultimately get drafted end up doing absolutely nothing in the NFL. When the MIA football program was at its apex, we not only contended for NCs, but also produced elite NFL talent. Simply attempting to win recruiting ranking contests is never going to help ensure that MIA recaptures the glory of its past.

Who cares about what they do in the NFL? Alabama has the number 1 recruiting class and they won the most NCs. Being a "star *****" is the only way to win NCs.

It has been stated numerous times that the recruiting services are better now than ever before. Never again will you see teams loaded with unranked players winnings NCs.

Advertisement
Who cares about what they do in the NFL? Alabama has the number 1 recruiting class and they won the most NCs. Being a "star *****" is the only way to win NCs.

It has been stated numerous times that the recruiting services are better now than ever before. Never again will you see teams loaded with unranked players winnings NCs.

I pretty much agree with all of that, but you've gotta start somewhere and that IMHO is early evaluations that pay dividends. We pursue the top talent until it becomes pointless to do so and then we move on to the next guy. We aren't in a position to currently hold out and I don't care how it happens, but build it up to win.

The legacy of the NFL & MIA will always be intertwined. How do you think MIA became "The U" or "NFL-U ? It was because the school finally understood the only way to compete with big state schools with unlimited budgets & resources, is by running the football program like an extension of an NFL team. As a result we were one of the 1st programs to implement pro-style systems on both sides of the ball.

Because there exists a negative correlation between recruiting rankings, and success in the NFL, I question how accurate the recruiting agencies would be if we were able to separate those highly rated players from elite coaching. I also don't agree that being a "star *****" is the only way to win & contend for NCs-Clemson in the last 10 yrs just proved to you that's not the case.

Kid was hurt last year and we take his commitment? We will see. First the wr earlier this week and now this kid? Smdh

sounds like someone doesn't listen to 5 rings podcast. iviNs explained that sometimes coaches throw out offers that aren't expecting a commitment. they cant not recruit them bc kids will hold it against them if they blow up and cant not take their commitment either. u can always drop them later but at this point, if a junior wants in and has an offer, they get placed in a bad spot if they dont allow the commit

Advertisement
Don’t bring it this way kid. You’re probably good with Dinofrios defense.
See Branden Jennings, that’s a LB prospect

you dont know **** about evaluating prospects otherwise you'd be working for a college. youre not just as we aren't either. let the professionals do their job

The legacy of the NFL & MIA will always be intertwined. How do you think MIA became "The U" or "NFL-U ? It was because the school finally understood the only way to compete with big state schools with unlimited budgets & resources, is by running the football program like an extension of an NFL team. As a result we were one of the 1st programs to implement pro-style systems on both sides of the ball.

Because there exists a negative correlation between recruiting rankings, and success in the NFL, I question how accurate the recruiting agencies would be if we were able to separate those highly rated players from elite coaching. I also don't agree that being a "star *****" is the only way to win & contend for NCs-Clemson in the last 10 yrs just proved to you that's not the case.
You mean the Clemson team with the 4th most 5 stars in the nation and the number 1 QB in the nation leading there team? Clemson is recruiting at an elite level.

I understand the NFL U thing and I would love to get back to that, but I would be still be ok with us just winning NCs. The fact is unless you recruit mainly 4 and 5 stars you are never going to be NFL U or NC U.

You mean the Clemson team with the 4th most 5 stars in the nation and the number 1 QB in the nation leading there team? Clemson is recruiting at an elite level.

I understand the NFL U thing and I would love to get back to that, but I would be still be ok with us just winning NCs. The fact is unless you recruit mainly 4 and 5 stars you are never going to be NFL U or NC U.

These are the recruiting class rankings at Clemson under Dabo Swinney. The highest rated class they ever had prior to 19' was 7th.

Advertisement
These are the recruiting class rankings at Clemson under Dabo Swinney. The highest rated class they ever had prior to 19' was 7th.

That is due to the size of the class not the quality of the opponents. They literally had the 4th most 5 stars last year in the entire nation.

That is due to the size of the class not the quality of the opponents. They literally had the 4th most 5 stars last year in the entire nation.

Are you really trying to imply that they became one of the preeminent programs in college football because of 5 star recruits? You do realize that they started winning 10+ games back in 2011 right ?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nobody should be complaining about our takes 2 years out. Let it play out for a year before forming an opinion.

Are you really trying to imply that they became one of the preeminent programs in college football because of 5 star recruits? You do realize that they started winning 10 games+ back in 2011 right ?

And with all those 5 stars at Bama, they are two mind numbingly, tota choke job collapses by UGA from having NO titles to show for their #1 rated classes over the last six years.

Advertisement
Back