Cortez Mckenzie commits

I forgot to add that this is exactly what you do when you evaluate your own talent. You get in early, before everyone else, and the recruit blows up. Sometimes it works out and others it doesn't. People love to talk about Butch as as one of the very best at player evaluations and moves like this is how he made it. We'll see what kind of eye this staff has as time goes on.

Advertisement
Wow. We have the number one class in 21 already. The staff works a guy out in front of the best athletes to ever play against great competition and guys are bashing the kid. GTFOH with that BS.

We have had the best class 2 years out for the past 5+ years. We ended up with a top 10 class once. This doesn't mean schit.

I forgot to add that this is exactly what you do when you evaluate your own talent. You get in early, before everyone else, and the recruit blows up. Sometimes it works out and others it doesn't. People love to talk about Butch as as one of the very best at player evaluations and moves like this is how he made it. We'll see what kind of eye this staff has as time goes on.

You are forgetting that when Butch was on staff as a DL coach he was bringing in tons of top talent.

Diaz has had trouble closing on top talent his entire time as a DC.

Advertisement
Dual sport athlete that plays both BBall & Football. goes to 5A Lakewood (same school as Trevon Riggins & Greg Spann)

Plays Safety, RB & LB, but is basically a stand up rusher. Had 25tcks 10TFL's & 6 sacks his Sophomore year.

He's an agressive LB with quickness & a good motor. The 21 LB class is crazy deep, so I don't actually have a problem with taking an early commit from this kid, because we'll still continue to recruit Jon Flowe, Derrick Harris Jr, T2, Gaethan Bernadel, Patrick Payton (even though he's more of a Rush end), Branden Jennings, Tyler Johnson & others.

At worst, we land higher ranked prospects & this kid gets pushed, or at best he continues to develop & we keep him.

I don't think it's as big a deal as people will make it, every fan should know early verbal commits don't really mean much, so this isn't like it's finalized he'll be in the class come NSD 21.

sooooo, you're saying his floor is Jon Vilma, his ceiling his Ray Lewis on deer antler spray. Got it

this is why I listen to you like Dear Abby, Liberty..

Advertisement
True, because they were upclassmen. I believe 7 (Patchan, Bethel, Pinckney, Quarterman, McCord, Finley and Knowles) in our 3 deep on our current roster were recruited by Golden's staff.

Yup, but also all the dogs on defense like Thomas, Willis, Jaquan Johnson, etc. etc. were not Diaz guys.

I am just saying you can't say Diaz has a low bust rate when all his biggest studs were guys he didn't recruit.

Advertisement
He had 41 TDS. And until his senior year, he wasn’t a known name. At least, not nationally. That was my class. Frank, Antrel, the Carol City Boyd.

I believe Sean transferred to Gulliver his senior year, where he absolutely dominated.

The knock against him was the level of competition he played against.

If my memory serves me right, Sean picked Miami over Georgia Tech.

Advertisement
Yup, but also all the dogs on defense like Thomas, Willis, Jaquan Johnson, etc. etc. were not Diaz guys.

I am just saying you can't say Diaz has a low bust rate when all his biggest studs were guys he didn't recruit.

Jeff James is the only kid no longer on the roster who left voluntarily. Steed had to stop playing. Everybody else has contributed at least in special teams. Only real bust is Martin who committed to Kul at Mizzou. This is clearly talent in his classes just as good as the kids you mentioned above. They are now rolling into their sophomore and junior years.

Jeff James is the only kid no longer on the roster who left voluntarily. Steed had to stop playing. Everybody else has contributed at least in special teams. Only real bust is Martin who committed to Kul at Mizzou. This is clearly talent in his classes just as good as the kids you mentioned above. They are now rolling into their sophomore and junior years.

We clearly have different definitions of being a good evaluator if you think Diaz is a good evaluator because his kids didn't leave the team or get special teams time.

I guess since he recruits mainly 3 stars technically they aren't busts.

You are forgetting that when Butch was on staff as a DL coach he was bringing in tons of top talent.

Diaz has had trouble closing on top talent his entire time as a DC.
What you're leaving out of this comparison is the fact that Miami basically won 3 natty's (83, 87, 89) while Butch was the D-line coach (84-89). It's much easier to pull top talent when you're in the running for a title every year. Diaz hasn't had that luxury.

Advertisement
Back