Cortez Mckenzie commits

Yup, but also all the dogs on defense like Thomas, Willis, Jaquan Johnson, etc. etc. were not Diaz guys.

I am just saying you can't say Diaz has a low bust rate when all his biggest studs were guys he didn't recruit.

That’s a simplistic way to look at things. Compare guys like Corn, Pickney, Redwine, Jackson and the two DTs who left early before and after this staff. The difference is night and day.

The real point is they know how to evaluate kids and max out their potential.

Finley, Bandy, Carter, Blades and Garvin are their guys and are ballers. It’s a plug and play system at this point.

There is zero indication that will change.

If it does then feel free to criticize. If not people just need to be quiet.

Advertisement
What you're leaving out of this comparison is the fact that Miami basically won 3 natty's (83, 87, 89) while Butch was the D-line coach (84-89). It's much easier to pull top talent when you're in the running for a title every year. Diaz hasn't had that luxury.

That is not even what is being discussed. The guy was saying "you weren't complaining about butches evals". I said the reason we didn't complain was because he was bringing in elite talent before being a HC.

That’s a simplistic way to look at things. Compare guys like Corn, Pickney, Redwine, Jackson and the two DTs who left early before and after this staff. The difference is night and day.

The real point is they know how to evaluate kids and max out their potential.

Finley, Bandy, Carter, Blades and Garvin are their guys and are ballers. It’s a plug and play system at this point.

There is zero indication that will change.

If it does then feel free to criticize. If not people just need to be quiet.

Of course Diaz has been developing these kids better, that is a straight fact, but he wasn't a better recruiter which was my point.

What you're leaving out of this comparison is the fact that Miami basically won 3 natty's (83, 87, 89) while Butch was the D-line coach (84-89). It's much easier to pull top talent when you're in the running for a title every year. Diaz hasn't had that luxury.
Butch wasn't the DL coach in 89....he left with JJ after 88 season...

Advertisement
I don’t know this kid and don’t have to if I don’t like the take I don’t like the take. And for every Ed reed theres a Robert knowels for every supposed Santana Moss there’s a demuri Jones. You can miss me with them hoe ways y’all showing if kids good I’ll be happy if not I don’t want him period and for now I’m leaning at what I said earlier that’s my opinion and seems to be others to.

Thing is - no one seems to give a tinker's dam about your opinion.

Bet you hear that a LOT.

Of course Diaz has been developing these kids better, that is a straight fact, but he wasn't a better recruiter which was my point.

Too soon to tell. I really like a lot of the young kids like Garvin, Silvera, Rousseau, Harvey, Huff, Brooks, Hall, Bandy, etc. Young and Steed looked impressive prior to injury.

We should never lack talent, even if we miss on a Battle, there’s a KvSmith who wants in. Manny is doing the right thing in filling the roster three deep everywhere and forcing competition at all positions.

Advertisement
Wtf??...Didnt know about Sean in 2000??...You HAVE to be trolling....EVERYONE in America knew about Sean....Stop it....

How friggin old are you? Clearly you weren't around back then.

Hardly anyone knew of Sean Taylor when Butch go him to commit. Taylor blew up in his senior year. There was even an interview on the old Grassy board with Steve Spurrior when he was at Miami's Pro Day as the head coach of the Redskins. Besides gushing at the talent at Miami, he specifically made mention that by the time anyone knew about Sean Taylor his senior year, it was too late. Davis already had him bound and gagged and going to Miami. It was only after his season he was selected player of the year in Fla.

Stop it....I personally went on a "so called recruiting trip" with my cousin (who happened to be Sean's main recruiter too UM) to see Sean play twice....To say nobody knew about Sean is Horsesh*t....Kid had 44 TDs...but nobody knew about him??....Lol...I know for a Fact thats a Crock....
Baloney. Miami knew of him, but not many else. Again, his 44 TDs was his senior year when he blew up. Everyone was after him then, but Butch kept him from flipping.

How friggin old are you? Clearly you weren't around back then.

Hardly anyone knew of Sean Taylor when Butch go him to commit. Taylor blew up in his senior year. There was even an interview on the old Grassy board with Steve Spurrior when he was at Miami's Pro Day as the head coach of the Redskins. Besides gushing at the talent at Miami, he specifically made mention that by the time anyone knew about Sean Taylor his senior year, it was too late. Davis already had him bound and gagged and going to Miami. It was only after his season he was selected player of the year in Fla.

Accurate. His senior year, everyone in Dade knew how good he was. Before that he was not well-known, especially outside S. Florida.

Advertisement
You are forgetting that when Butch was on staff as a DL coach he was bringing in tons of top talent.

Diaz has had trouble closing on top talent his entire time as a DC.

Also you're forgetting (or failed to mention) when he was head coach, under scholarship reductions, and against all the negative recruiting, he assembled the greatest collection of talent any one can remember. McGahee, Andre Johnson and Vernon Carey were national recruits, but most weren't. (edit, forgot to mention DJ Williams of course).

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s two years out who knows how it will play out. Why can’t we just be happy for the young man. All his work has payed off good for him. Welcome to the U.

Advertisement
Back