Corey Raymond thoughts as a DC?

Advertisement
A guy like Strong at DC is a two year rental at best, because he's almost certainly getting another HC position somewhere. That works just fine for Miami since it gives a new guy a chance to apprentice, and Diaz gets to lean on a championship caliber DC to help him save his job. I dont think Diaz lasts past 2022 if he doesn't show substantial progress. I think at the moment, experience, leadership, and recruiting at DC is more important than having a genius coordinator. Diaz can look for that guy later if he is still employed in 2 years.
strong ain’t getting no more head corch jobs. not sure why he’d even want one. ain’t him.

Banda's not even in the same stratosphere with Corey Raymond as a DB coach, stop it. Yes the LSU defense was down this year due to attrition, but when Raymond has talent, He's the best in business, unlike Banda.

They got lit up big time last year too. And they always have talent, there’s no such thing as attrition there.

Advertisement
A guy like Strong at DC is a two year rental at best, because he's almost certainly getting another HC position somewhere. That works just fine for Miami since it gives a new guy a chance to apprentice, and Diaz gets to lean on a championship caliber DC to help him save his job. I dont think Diaz lasts past 2022 if he doesn't show substantial progress. I think at the moment, experience, leadership, and recruiting at DC is more important than having a genius coordinator. Diaz can look for that guy later if he is still employed in 2 years.
Not sure anyone is looking for Charlie ******* to be HC. He'd be a very tough sell to boosters, as he was a spectacular failure at his last 2 stops.

We do not need a splashy big name hire. We need a great coach that understands the modern game and puts our players in a position to succeed. If he can recruit that should be considered a plus, not a prerequisite. Your new CB coach and other new staff members can do all of the heavy lifting on recruiting defensive studs. Implement an aggressive scheme that challenges today's fast paced offenses and develops the talent we are bringing in. Just do those things and we will succeed. I don't care if your last stop was from the NESCAC conference.

Not sure anyone is looking for Charlie ******* to be HC. He'd be a very tough sell to boosters, as he was a spectacular failure at his last 2 stops.

I would 100% agree except for the Saban career rehabilitation. It's the Betty Ford clinic for bad head coaches. Who thought Lane Kiffin would ever get a P5 job again? (I distinctly remember many posters saying that Kiffin was NEVER getting a P5 HC job again). Butch Jones was a spectacular failure at Tennessee and he's back as a HC. I think there is zero chance that either of those things happens if they don't work for Saban. And Mario Cristobal almost certainly doesn't get hired as Oregon HC after faceplanting at FIU if not for Sabans musky smell.

If Strong proves himself as a DC, his Saban rehab will get him another G5 HC job before his coaching career is over. Boosters are going to feel a lot better about Strong when Saban calls to vouch for him.

The guy won 2 NCs as a DC, now has worked for Saban and Meyer (to of the GOATs), had back to back 10+ win seasons at Louisville (including 12-1). He flopped at Texas, but they were declining before he arrived and Herman hasn't had success either, so maybe Strong wasn't the problem. His USF stint started ok (10 wins) then went down in flames. So he was wildly successful at his first HC job, a failure at his second job (one of the most high profile jobs in CFB where it seems every coach had been struggling over the past few years), then had a good start at USF that went south. There are far worse head coaches currently in CFB than Strong. He'll get another shot eventually.

Anywho, the question at the moment is whether he'd be a good DC candidate. I think he would be a good fit and would also leave a Bama analyst position to be Miami's DC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
His name was brought up a lot or really whenever we ***** about Rumph as CB coach. Seems like there is no way he makes a lateral move to Miami as a CB coach, so is he a guy that is ready to become a DC? I don't really know enough about him, I like that he's worked under a guy like Dave Arranda but is he a position coach that can make the jump to become a successful DC.

Seems like he would check some major boxes for us in that he can recruit, has produced top-flight CB's just not sure if he would be a candidate from an X's and O's standpoint.
Fate is really trying to deliver us much needed qualified Defensive leadership, coaching and recruiting improvements. Yet the Canes leadership see no reason to upgrade the defensive staff or at least have given no indication they will do so. There are several non like kind and like kind coaches who I would be excited to get.

No one knows if he has what it takes because he's never done it. But you'd think LSU would know better than anyone if he has potential as a DC; he's coached there for a hundred years, and they've never promoted him to DC.
That doesn't mean the man wasn't qualified. The path to Coordinator is only "guaranteed" to like kind coaches. Non like kind coaches more frequently get stuck as career assistants or jobs at subpar schools. The Dolphins spent a many years repeating their GM and HC failures, but when they decided to be fair, it has worked for that franchise so far.

I would 100% agree except for the Saban career rehabilitation. It's the Betty Ford clinic for bad head coaches. Who thought Lane Kiffin would ever get a P5 job again? (I distinctly remember many posters saying that Kiffin was NEVER getting a P5 HC job again). Butch Jones was a spectacular failure at Tennessee and he's back as a HC. I think there is zero chance that either of those things happens if they don't work for Saban. And Mario Cristobal almost certainly doesn't get hired as Oregon HC after faceplanting at FIU if not for Sabans musky smell.

If Strong proves himself as a DC, his Saban rehab will get him another G5 HC job before his coaching career is over. Boosters are going to feel a lot better about Strong when Saban calls to vouch for him.

The guy won 2 NCs as a DC, now has worked for Saban and Meyer (to of the GOATs), had back to back 10+ win seasons at Louisville (including 12-1). He flopped at Texas, but they were declining before he arrived and Herman hasn't had success either, so maybe Strong wasn't the problem. His USF stint started ok (10 wins) then went down in flames. So he was wildly successful at his first HC job, a failure at his second job (one of the most high profile jobs in CFB where it seems every coach had been struggling over the past few years), then had a good start at USF that went south. There are far worse head coaches currently in CFB than Strong. He'll get another shot eventually.

Anywho, the question at the moment is whether he'd be a good DC candidate. I think he would be a good fit and would also leave a Bama analyst position to be Miami's DC.
******* wasn't "wildly successful" at Louisville. He built his rep by hammering Folden and having Hurt pay for some S. FL recruits. Other than the 1 great year, he was close to .500 at Louisville if my memory is correct.

We can make all the excuses in the world for the abortion at Texas, but good coaches win there. They win at least 9 games. He wasn't doing what Herman's done. He was getting his *** kicked by FCS teams and winning 6 games.

I see your point on the Sabag miracle broth, but that stuff is waning. People are finally starting to figure out that working for Belichick or Sabag doesn't make you Belichick or Sabag.

Advertisement
STOP LOOKING OVER THE OBVIOUS AND BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE:

Winston Moss began his coaching career in 1998 as a defensive quality control assistant for the Seattle Seahawks. He was hired by the New Orleans Saints in 2000 as defensive assistant/quality control; he was promoted to linebackers coach near the end of that season to replace John Bunting, who departed to become head coach at the University of North Carolina. Moss was hired by the Packers to become their linebackers coach on January 19, 2006. He was promoted to assistant head coach by head coach Mike McCarthy on January 15, 2007. Following a disappointing 2008 season for the Packers, Moss was the only major defensive coach not to be fired by McCarthy.[2]

Advertisement
What about the DC at Marshall, is he any good? Saw their defense was pretty good, coached DBs and LBs at Marshall, DC at Wake Forest under Jim Grobe, and he has prior HC experience at Charlotte.

Why do y’all mention him all the time? He’s the brent venables of db coaches and LSU is his alma mater. He ain’t never leaving 🤷🏾‍♂️💯

There is a reason LSU has never made him a DC. They've even balked on making him a real Co-DC.

He's a monster recruiter and worth a hefty price tag as a DB Coach, but making him an X's and O's guy is probably not wise.

Our head coach is not changing the defensive scheme anytime soon, IMO. Baker is there as his surrogate during gametime. We just need to accept that for the time being, unfortunately. There are other spots that could use coaching upgrades before the scheme gets changed.

Strong couldnt even muster a winning record at Texas
Strong was a disaster at South florida

Strong should send a christmas card to Bridgewater every year for making him look competent as a HC

Some people should stay as coordinators and realize after 2 horrific stints as HC its just not for them

Advertisement
Back