Corey Raymond thoughts as a DC?

******* wasn't "wildly successful" at Louisville. He built his rep by hammering Folden and having Hurt pay for some S. FL recruits. Other than the 1 great year, he was close to .500 at Louisville if my memory is correct.

We can make all the excuses in the world for the abortion at Texas, but good coaches win there. They win at least 9 games. He wasn't doing what Herman's done. He was getting his *** kicked by FCS teams and winning 6 games.

I see your point on the Sabag miracle broth, but that stuff is waning. People are finally starting to figure out that working for Belichick or Sabag doesn't make you Belichick or Sabag.

In 2012 he went 11-2, in 2013 he went 12-1. I don't know how many coaches in CFB have a 12 win season under their belt but I don't think there are many (probably even fewer with an 11 AND 12 win season). Now I'm not saying I would hire Strong as a HC if I was an AD, but I think it's possible some small G5 somewhere would take another chance on him for a minimal investment (Larry Coker was making 400k per year at UTSA) if he was the DC of a P5 that made the playoffs, especially after his Saban rehab. Larry Fedora just went from Texas analyst to Baylor OC, and if he's successful there he'll probably get another HC job as well eventually.

Whether Strong is a HC again or not is a good barstool argument, but not my main point. I'm just looking at his background as someone who knows the S Fl recruiting scene, is well respected, was highly successful as a coordinator, and can be an adult in the room to help Diaz.

Advertisement
In 2012 he went 11-2, in 2013 he went 12-1. I don't know how many coaches in CFB have a 12 win season under their belt but I don't think there are many (probably even fewer with an 11 AND 12 win season). Now I'm not saying I would hire Strong as a HC if I was an AD, but I think it's possible some small G5 somewhere would take another chance on him for a minimal investment (Larry Coker was making 400k per year at UTSA) if he was the DC of a P5 that made the playoffs, especially after his Saban rehab. Larry Fedora just went from Texas analyst to Baylor OC, and if he's successful there he'll probably get another HC job as well eventually.

Whether Strong is a HC again or not is a good barstool argument, but not my main point. I'm just looking at his background as someone who knows the S Fl recruiting scene, is well respected, was highly successful as a coordinator, and can be an adult in the room to help Diaz.
I think Fedora just got fired. I understand your points on *******. I think he was an excellent DC at one point. I don't know if he still is or not. The game's changed a lot since he was a top DC, and his defenses at Texas and USF were putrid.

Your flawed logic assumes that Manny will only hire someone who has to run his defense. Past precedent (hiring Lashlee) proves that he's comfortable bringing someone in that will have completely autonomy. Im not going to pretend to know who we'd end up hiring but it's foolish to think there won't be a long list of quality names.
Your flawed logic assumes manny is willing to give full autonomy to his dc (a side of the ball he has been coaching for 20 years and the only reason he got his current job) the same as he did for the offense, where he has never coached and has no expertise...ever.

Advertisement
Are y’all sure Baker is gonna be gone? He did an interview today when they got to Orlando. I highly doubt they would let him speak if he was getting canned

No one knows if he has what it takes because he's never done it. But you'd think LSU would know better than anyone if he has potential as a DC; he's coached there for a hundred years, and they've never promoted him to DC.

it's not just that. no P5 program has offered him a DC job. if they had, he would have taken it. RED FLAG of the highest degree

Advertisement
Corey Raymond has 0 interest in doing anything other then working with cornerbacks. Been offered jobs all over the country, rather collect a pretty good check and stay put.
This.

Corey Raymond is a LSU lifer, he’s from Louisiana, played at LSU & has coached there for most of his career except for a short stint at Utah State & Nebraska under Bo Pelini, but has been at LSU for the last 8 years & has no interest in going anywhere else or doing anything else besides recruit & coach corners.

He’s easily by far the best CB’s coach in college football, his sole purpose is to recruit & sign high caliber Corners & get them shipped off to the league in 3 years, Derek Stingley & Cordale Flott are the next 2 that will be 1st rounders after next year & this year already has Elias Ricks as Freshman All-American & was the highest graded TF Defensive player in the nation.

Raymond has actually been offered jobs at UGA & TAMU over the last few years & he’s turned them down every time.

As long as the admin & boosters at LSU want him, he’ll be there, he’s basically their permanent CB coach & no HC who would get hired at LSU would ever be dumb enough not to retain him.

This.

Corey Raymond is a LSU lifer, he’s from Louisiana, played at LSU & has coached there for most of his career except for a short stint at Utah State & Nebraska under Bo Pelini, but has been at LSU for the last 8 years & has no interest in going anywhere else or doing anything else besides recruit & coach corners.

He’s easily by far the best CB’s coach in college football, his sole purpose is to recruit & sign high caliber Corners & get them shipped off to the league in 3 years, Derek Stingley & Cordale Flott are the next 2 that will be 1st rounders after next year & this year already has Elias Ricks as Freshman All-American & was the highest graded TF Defensive player in the nation.

Raymond has actually been offered jobs at UGA & TAMU over the last few years & he’s turned them down every time.

As long as the admin & boosters at LSU want him, he’ll be there, he’s basically their permanent CB coach & no HC who would get hired at LSU would ever be dumb enough not to retain him.

You'd think IF Baker is relieved (unlikely, but maybe), his replacement is going to bring along at least one of his inner circle to help.

Does Banda get to stay? Bad look for Manuela.

Are there enough other sacrificial lambs to put deodorant on keeping him? Would seem Rumph (right or wrong) would be an early release under a new DC.

Again, Baker roaming Miami's sidelines next season I would guess remains higher than most here would like.

I think Fedora just got fired. I understand your points on *******. I think he was an excellent DC at one point. I don't know if he still is or not. The game's changed a lot since he was a top DC, and his defenses at Texas and USF were putrid.
Not to derail, but yes, Fedora is jobless..... again. From Baylor.

Advertisement
You'd think IF Baker is relieved (unlikely, but maybe), his replacement is going to bring along at least one of his inner circle to help.

Does Banda get to stay? Bad look for Manuela.

Are there enough other sacrificial lambs to put deodorant on keeping him? Would seem Rumph (right or wrong) would be an early release under a new DC.

Again, Baker roaming Miami's sidelines next season I would guess remains higher than most here would like.
I have no idea what happens with this Defensive staff post Cheez-It Bowl.

What I do know, is that if Banda wants to stay here he’ll be here, if he really does have an offer to go to Utah St & he accepts it then I assume Diaz will try to finesse some kind of changes, what they will actually be remains to be seen.

But what I can guarantee is that if Diaz doesn’t do something to fix his CB recruiting, he’s fcked for the 22 class. And if Banda leaves we not getting any of the top tier Safeties we’re after for the 22 class either, believe it or not he actually has us in a very good spot for the Safeties we’re pursuing.

After next Tuesday, Manuelito is gonna have to put his big boy pants on & make some tough stern decisions if he wants to steer his career from spinning out of control down the Al Folden express way, if he keeps everything on Defense status quo he’s writing his own obituary as HC here, if he mans up & drops the axe to Baker & the rest of the recruiting voids on Defense he’ll buy himself more time (exactly how much who knows), either way the clock is ticking...

This.

Word is that his wife has a big time job in the area too earning more than him. Would have to pay him a LOT for him to even consider.

If Strong would've stayed at Louisville 1 more year, He would've been a cinch to replace Muschamp at Florida. But at the same time, you can't really blame the man for grabbing the generational bag that Texas likes to hand out.

Advertisement
Strong couldnt even muster a winning record at Texas
Strong was a disaster at South florida

Strong should send a christmas card to Bridgewater every year for making him look competent as a HC

Some people should stay as coordinators and realize after 2 horrific stints as HC its just not for them
So should Urban Meyer, He wasn't very good at UF after Tebow left. Nobody ever said that a HC doesn't need a talented QB to win.

So should Urban Meyer, He wasn't very good at UF after Tebow left. Nobody ever said that a HC doesn't need a talented QB to win.

I'm really glad you used Urban Meyer's one year out of the 18 years he coached to justify your point

Urban sure had to gargle Tebow's balls for his 700 yards his freshman year, I'm sure that 13-1 record would have turned to 4-8 without Tebow in 2006

Your flawed logic assumes that Manny will only hire someone who has to run his defense. Past precedent (hiring Lashlee) proves that he's comfortable bringing someone in that will have completely autonomy. Im not going to pretend to know who we'd end up hiring but it's foolish to think there won't be a long list of quality names.

Enos had full autonomy. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Back