Corey Raymond thoughts as a DC?

Advertisement
Banda's not even in the same stratosphere with Corey Raymond as a DB coach, stop it. Yes the LSU defense was down this year due to attrition, but when Raymond has talent, He's the best in business, unlike Banda.
Defense wasn’t down due to attrition. It wasn’t all that good last year with arranda

Past precedent is meaningless, as he's not an offensive coach and has no offensive philosophy or skill. He hired Enos and gave him autonomy too.

We'll see what he does with the D. If all he does is fire Rump and leaves Baker in place to run this worn out system, then it's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. His only hope is bringing in a new DC with a proven track record and let him run his own system. I'm not sure that will even work because I don't think Manure is a real leader of men. But that's really his only hope.
I guess that is why I started the thread. Rumph needs to go but it’s more than just that, we were terribly flawed schematically this season. The number of times I could tell pre-snap where we were going to get gashed was upsetting.

I brought up Raymond as a question for those who may know if he was it takes to be a DC in the future and he’s a **** of a recruiter.

Advertisement
I guess that is why I started the thread. Rumph needs to go but it’s more than just that, we were terribly flawed schematically this season. The number of times I could tell pre-snap where we were going to get gashed was upsetting.

I brought up Raymond as a question for those who may know if he was it takes to be a DC in the future and he’s a **** of a recruiter.
No one knows if he has what it takes because he's never done it. But you'd think LSU would know better than anyone if he has potential as a DC; he's coached there for a hundred years, and they've never promoted him to DC.

I think it’s possible to get him to come here as CB coach if you give him the co-DC title, with the expectation that he will replace and be groomed by whatever big name short-term DC brings him in.

This of course would all require a budget bigger than what I assume is realistic.

Advertisement
I understand your point but I guess my question for people in the know is does he have future DC in him? Got to believe someone is going to give him a shot sooner or later.

Someone else can give him a shot first. If Miami hires a guy who had never been a DC, we are just compounding the problem of inexperienced coaches and a JV staff. Bring him as the CB coach and make him co-DC. Marcus Freeman was a position coach/Co-DC before getting the Cincy job.

Now I know this might be unpopular but it may not be the worst idea to look at Charlie Strong as DC. He's currently an analyst at Bama (which again makes me say "you have to be f#cking kidding me with Bama having coaches like Strong as analysts) . The guy has HC experience, knows how to recruit S Fl, and won two national championships as a DC. He ran an attacking 4-3/3-3 hybrid defense so schematically what he runs could work here too.

An ideal scenario would be to have Strong as the DC with someone like Raymond (T-Rob?) as co-DC.

Someone else can give him a shot first. If Miami hires a guy who had never been a DC, we are just compounding the problem of inexperienced coaches and a JV staff. Bring him as the CB coach and make him co-DC. Marcus Freeman was a position coach/Co-DC before getting the Cincy job.

Now I know this might be unpopular but it may not be the worst idea to look at Charlie Strong as DC. He's currently an analyst at Bama (which again makes me say "you have to be f#cking kidding me with Bama having coaches like Strong as analysts) . The guy has HC experience, knows how to recruit S Fl, and won two national championships as a DC. He ran an attacking 4-3/3-3 hybrid defense so schematically what he runs could work here too.

An ideal scenario would be to have Strong as the DC with someone like Raymond (T-Rob?) as co-DC.
Pretty sure Bama pays their analysts more than we pay coordinators.

That’s a great idea! It might be too much testosterone for Mr . Lisp n Slide

Advertisement
Pretty sure Bama pays their analysts more than we pay coordinators.

I assume Miami pays its coordinators more than 35k-40k per year because that's what analysts at Bama make. Some of them are failed HCs who have multimillion dollar buyouts, they are basically coaching for free because they want to cool their heels but think they can still learn things from Saban.

I assume Miami pays its coordinators more than 35k-40k per year because that's what analysts at Bama make. Lots of them are failed HCs who have multimillion dollar buyouts, they are basically coaching for free because they want to cool their heels but think they can still learn things from Saban.
Didn’t realize that’s all they paid analysts.

Advertisement

Thats my dream to have them as Co-DC with a teaching technician like Simpson as the D-line coach. Manny could keep Banda for recruiting

Thats my dream to have them as Co-DC with a teaching technician like Simpson as the D-line coach. Manny could keep Banda for recruiting

A guy like Strong at DC is a two year rental at best, because he's almost certainly getting another HC position somewhere. That works just fine for Miami since it gives a new guy a chance to apprentice, and Diaz gets to lean on a championship caliber DC to help him save his job. I dont think Diaz lasts past 2022 if he doesn't show substantial progress. I think at the moment, experience, leadership, and recruiting at DC is more important than having a genius coordinator. Diaz can look for that guy later if he is still employed in 2 years.

Past precedent is meaningless, as he's not an offensive coach and has no offensive philosophy or skill. He hired Enos and gave him autonomy too.

We'll see what he does with the D. If all he does is fire Rump and leaves Baker in place to run this worn out system, then it's just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. His only hope is bringing in a new DC with a proven track record and let him run his own system. I'm not sure that will even work because I don't think Manure is a real leader of men. But that's really his only hope.
Fun fact: “I’m not sure” is code for “sho ain’t”

Advertisement
Back