Coaching Congrats Macho

U been at this for a while, my brother. Any plans to possibly move to the collegiate level in the future in any capacity?
I've had some inquiries...
But here's the thing...

College coaching is a full-time grind. There's almost no time off. When you're not coaching, you're recruiting.
Quality of life is extremely important to me.
So IMO it's not worth it unless you're going to be making a significant amount of money. That would rule out most smaller colleges. (which is likely where'd I'd have to start - biggest inquiry I've had so far is from Tennessee Martin)

Part of me thinks it would be better to obtain a high school coaching job at one of these high paying states like GA or Texas. You can make a significant amount of money, you're still coaching/developing actual kids instead of it being a business, AND you'll get TIME OFF to enjoy your life.

I mean...
You guys tell me what you think. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know this much...
Coaching HS ball in South Florida ain't it.
Not unless you get a really nice gig, and there's only so many schools in the state that can provide that.

Advertisement
But here's the thing...

College coaching is a full-time grind. There's almost no time off. When you're not coaching, you're recruiting.
So IMO it's not worth it unless you're going to be making a significant amount of money. That would rule out most smaller colleges. (which is likely where'd I'd have to start - biggest inquiry I've had so far is from Tennessee Martin)

Part of me thinks it would be better to obtain a high school coaching job at one of these high paying states like GA or Texas. You can make a significant amount of money, you're still coaching/developing actual kids instead of it being a business, AND you'll get TIME OFF to enjoy your life.

I mean...

I know this much...
Not unless you get a really nice gig, and there's only so many schools in the state that can provide that.
This. I got offered a job at G5 school recently and I said no before he was finished talking.

Georgia, Alabama or Texas is where it’s at.

Or the panhandle of Florida as a HC (they are HC/ADs so they are the highest paying jobs in the state).

But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...
GA the move then you would kill there

This. I got offered a job at G5 school recently and I said no before he was finished talking.

Georgia, Alabama or Texas is where it’s at.

Or the panhandle of Florida as a HC (they are HC/ADs so they are the highest paying jobs in the state).
How are the Carolinas?

Advertisement
But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...

this is the dilemma many of us are thrown into. do what you really want (coach) or make money to have a good material quality of life. i use to teach at a private prep school in jax and loved it, but there was no money in it. i sold out and chose the money, i don't regret it because of what it affords me but i miss the opportunity to teach.

Advertisement
But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...

I like where ur head is at, brotha. Was just talking to my boys about the pursuit of money vs. quality of life. Give me quality of life, b/c no cap, I was pulling in close to $200k/yr at my old job, but man I had no life & between a bad marriage & this job, bro like 2019 I almost checked out both mentally & physically.

Clearly U have a passion for what u do, & I applaud any person to stay in a field they love; but, as much as u love home, bro if u can somehow move to TX or GA & do what u love at a higher price point, go for it. Count the cost both economically & personally, & if makes sense, go bro; pls!

Last edited:
But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...
Come on down Texas and stick here man.. I know coaches who aren’t half of you that probably make more than you. Shouldn’t be that way

I like where ur head is at, brotha. Was just talking to my boys about the pursuit of money vs. quality of life. Give me quality of life, b/c no cap, I was pulling in close to $200k/yr at my old job, but man I had no life & between a bad marriage & this job, bro like 2019 I almost checked out both mentally & physically.

Clearly U have a passion for what u do, & I applaud any person to stay in a field they love; but, as much as u love home, bro if u can someone to TX or GA & do what u love at a higher price point, go for it. Count the cost both economically & personally, & if makes sense, go bro; pls!

I hear you on all of that.

Left a comfortable insurance job to be an operations manager and it was every holiday, 7 am until 8 to 10 in the winter, 7 to 0 to 12 the rest of the year. I always had to have my phone and laptop on me, no matter where I went basically and only had Sundays off, unless it fell on the end of the month and I'd lose that day as well. Made great money, but I couldn't even date. I'd be at dinner out wherever at a bar / club, **** hits the fan, gotta run and handle it.

Got with my Wife and went back to insurance as she had two kids, then one was on the way. Quick pregnancy, marriage, etc and I then raised our son for a year and half while doing some corporate concrete jobs with my father as needed for some income. She's a charge nurse, etc.

Back in a 9 to 5 basically and she works 6 to 6, so we're like two ships passing in the night. I get to do everything with the 12 and 9 year old, make half to even a bit less than half of what I did. I'll never be able to get these years back, so that's what my job is. I'm content by and large, but without the buy whatever I want anytime I want life. ****, we rent because we travel so much with sports so we don't have the fix it, caring for, and upkeep of a home.

Macho, just figure out where you want to go and take those steps. It's not what you want to do next, but how next propels toy closer to where you want to be.

Advertisement
But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...
Honest question- have you ever inquired about a GA position at UM and seeing if that would turn into an analyst to in field spot in D1 in a few years? Might be worth trying to leverage some of those HS relationships into one of those spots at UM and see where it goes? What’s worst case…you go back to being a HS coach in FL?

Advertisement

Clearly U have a passion for what u do, & I applaud any person to stay in a field they love; but, as much as u love home, bro if u can someone to TX or GA & do what u love at a higher price point, go for it. Count the cost both economically & personally, & if makes sense, go bro; pls!
Straight up Facts....

But here's the thing...

I mean...

I know this much...
Those Texas high schools definitely pay very well and lots of them are near major metropolitan cities

How are the Carolinas?
South = pretty good. Some guys pull 80+ bc they're 11 month + stipends are higher
North = better than FL but not great. I make $15K more than most of the FL teachers I know (same degree/exp) and when I was coaching football my stipend to be an AC was 2x the FL HC stipend. But we're comparing apples to doo doo while GA coaches are pulling in platinum

South = pretty good. Some guys pull 80+ bc they're 11 month + stipends are higher
North = better than FL but not great. I make $15K more than most of the FL teachers I know (same degree/exp) and when I was coaching football my stipend to be an AC was 2x the FL HC stipend. But we're comparing apples to doo doo while GA coaches are pulling in platinum
And even though teacher pay has been getting better (slowly), coaching supplements haven’t changed in many many many years.

Advertisement
Back