Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

Some pages back I was asked and I said “ unless Miami is in his contact I don’t see it happening. I know his wife wants to come back home but that’s probably the one reason I think it could. Even of the odds aren’t great.
Mario knows, there is no support for FB,, stars would have to be perfectly aligned..

Advertisement
The A&M buyout clause alone on Jimbo’s contract would prevent the hiring of the kind of assistants that Fisher would need to succeed here, much less beat Bama or Clemson in a playoff environment.

This is a pipe dream.

A BOT that is half capable will start laying the groundwork now for bringing Mario back. A LOT of folks here understand that Mario has a limited upside, but his team would have been a lot more prepared than Diaz’s team was on Saturday, that’s for sure. Plus, he’s a politically acceptable hire to the politicians Downtown, which would appease the Cuban lobby.

If you’re not going to hire, say, the Pirate with a Wartime Consigliere at DC, then bring back Cristobal.
Cristobal doesn't want the job.

I think the next UM coach will be either Mario or Lane Kiffin. If Blake is fired or reassigned and Alonzo hired to oversee football, Mario will be new coach. Blake tenure intrinsically linked to Manny. I like Manny and he is very smart, job just too big for someone who never ran a program. I think Mario is a good comp with Butch, great great recruiters, who need to hire really exceptional staffs to be successful on both sides of ball. At the end of the day, recruiting is the name of game though, and Mario or Kiffin check those boxes.
At the end of the day bags is the name of the game.

Exactly.

And where are these coaches kicking down Miami's door to coach in this pro city—with no college town environment, fan support, on-campus stadium, et al.

Pretty much every college coach is looking for a college town experience—biggest show in town, no other entertainment dollars to compete with—while Miami offers none of that.

Even before coaching salaries went completely out of control, no one wanted this job.

Jimmy Johnson was an Oklahoma State nobody, who never beat Oklahoma or Nebraska in his tenure. Dennis Erickson was a Wyoming and Washington State nobody, with a one-back offense that our fan wanted no part of (until it worked.)

Butch Davis was a third-choice guy. Larry Coker was a stopgap, substitute teacher. Randy Shannon was a glorified intern—after Greg Schiano turned down the gig and didn't want to return tom UM.

Al Golden was another theoretical up-and-comer type attracted to the UM gig. Richt was washed out after 15 years at Georgia—returning to his alma mater on fumes. Diaz is another theoretical up-and-comer with Miami ties.

Where is this coaching tree of icons and legends that are willing to leave where they're at for Miami—or these next-level guys this program isn't willing to pay.

A guy Gary Patterson turned down big offers every year to stay at TCU. Chris Petersen refused to leave Boise State after a decade of getting courted—eventually going to the Washington program his dad brought him up as a fan of; as well as not a regional stretch to leave Boise for Seattle.

Guys like Matt Campbell aren't leaving Iowa State, either—after a decade of watching hot names like Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman, etc. leaving successful gigs, only to face plant on the bigger stage.

Oregon has more money than god—they couldn't even keep Willie Taggart, while setting on Mario Cristobal for their next head coach. Texas is loaded; settled on the washed up Steve Sarkisian. Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach—two more retreads—showed up in Mississippi a year ago, while both their programs chase SEC powers. LSU settled on Ed Orgeron—who is set to be their Larry Coker, after one magical season.

Urban Meyer was the biggest name in the game outside of Nick Saban and he's chasing NFL dollars.

Where are these supposed saviors ready to come in to save Miami football?

Not trying to be argumentative, but iirc, I could’ve sworn the reason Butch was a 3rd choice guy b/c of all of the b.s that was surrounding this program, including but not limited to, the Pell Grant exploits that became National news. No one wanted this job b/c it was a **** show here, and Miami was trying to hire a coach w/ HC experience, which none was willing to come.

Regarding Jimmy, in all fairness prior to Johnson, since joining the Big 8, OK St was 84-111, winning 7 or more games in only 3 seasons. Jimmy also took over a 3 win team & went over .500 at “Little Brother.” Before taking the job at Miami, Jimmy went 8-4 at OSU on the season, and those 4 losses season amounted to 10 total points in margin, and left on a winning streakZ So he was trending up, so I can understand that hire.

When Erickson took over WASU, they were a perennial 3 - 4 win program. Even in his 1st yr, they won 3 games; but then he led them to their highest win total since 1930, 9 games. He was trending up, leaving while on a win streak, so that hire made sense.

I’ve said this before, when Coker was hired, it made sense, at the time. He was on a staff that was successful navigating through the darkest time in our program’s history, coming off a season where we should’ve been National Champions. So hiring internally, made sense. The hindsight was 20/20.

What didn’t make sense was hiring from w/in, again, from a staff that became an utter disaster & laughing stock. That was Shannon.

What also didn’t make sense was the next 3 hires.

-U hire a HC from a G5 that had a losing record & was actually trending down. Unlike both The Erickson & Johnson hires, before they were hired, they won more games their previous yrs w/ a bowl victory against a top 20 opponent, Golden was actually trending down; winning less games than the previous yr. leaving on a horrible 2 game losing streak. To me, this hire made absolutely zero sense.

While we hired Al Golden, Ark St hired its OC Hugh Freeze that same yr. Freeze had previous coaching experience at the NAIA level going 20-5. When he became OC at Ark St, Ark St could put up points; problem was their defense, hence why they fired their HC. He immediately turned Ark St from a 4 win team to a 10 win team in his one and only yr there.

Hiring Richt also didn’t make sense, b/c not only was he trending down as a HC at UGA for three str8 seasons, but he wanted to retire. Richt did some good for us, however. He was a great ambassador for the program, and our best coach for a min, but at that stage of his career, it felt like he was doing both his Alma Mater a solid, while living his dream to work w/ his son (one that he tried to pursue at UGA & they said no) vs. being here for the long haul. Matt Campbell was an up & coming G5 coach who was trending up, unlike Golden. He was available for a much better price tag.

And til this day, the Diaz hire made no sense at all. At least w/ Shannon, we could reasonably justify that he was a National Championship alum as a player, and the DC of a National Championship team flooding the NFL w/ Defensive stars; literally Diaz can’t say any of the above, so I’m not sure why we were quick to pay another University for his services, like he was a can’t miss coach….especially since he was apart of a failed regime.

All in all, I think the program is attractive from a legacy, image, and recruiting standpoint. Our problem, has been decision making, and that decision making have put us behind the 8 ball. However, I believe any program that was a power in 90’s - 2000’s is always just a hide away. Fortunately for us, we play in a very subpar conference & and even worst division. We’ve had the talent, which means we’re still recruiting at a high, yet not quite elite, level, despite such incompetence. That’s what gives me hope that we’re not a “dead program.”

With that being said, I just never understood this academia vs athletics rhetoric, the E vs. W if u will. Those comments do make me pause, b/c programs like UCLA, SC, Stanford, Duke, **** even UF care about academics AND athletics. Not sure why it has to be either, or. If Miami don’t care about winning or doing what it takes to win, then just shut down the program, but of course that’s not going to happen b/c they can’t lose that cushy ACC $. Sometimes we operate like a country club w/ our mentality vs. a program.

Some pages back I was asked and I said “ unless Miami is in his contact I don’t see it happening. I know his wife wants to come back home but that’s probably the one reason I think it could. Even of the odds aren’t great.

To save me a lot of pain, who are you referring to?

Advertisement
I don't know how to post pictures from my phone, but I got into a discussion with Barry Jackson on Twitter this morning just before he posted that article. I was challenging him to do the right thing and put pressure where it belongs, on the incompetent apathetic administration that has destroyed this once proud program. He responded to me telling me to read the article he was about to post.

So I read it, and it basically confirmed the same things I've heard behind the scenes and have been yelling about on these boards for 10 plus years.

Stop pointing your hate at Manny. He's just an underqualified guy that did what any human would do, he took a promotion that was GIVEN to him. He sucks at his job but it's not his job to turn down a potential life altering offer like that if it comes his way.

Point ALL of your anger and disgust at Blake and the BOT. Period. Stop buying season tickets and stop donating.

The whole "stop buying season tickets and stop donating" is an admirable cause (and even one that can logically embrace), but allow me to explain why that doesn't impact Beta Blake.

First, Beta Blake doesn't care, he's not a UM alum, he went to schools that have no real athletic programs, and the level to which that whole "I went to an SEC school, and I passionately hate all the other SEC schools, and I want to beat the other SEC schools in every competition including chess and Quidditch" mentality has been bred into Beta Blake from a young age...simply does not exist.

More importantly, Beta Blake's "job performance metrics" are nearly impervious to any well-meaning boycott effort. Look at Beta Blake's resume, for instance. He has spent 3 stints at Miami doing jobs like selling tickets and handling large donors. I have tried to explain this before, but Beta Blake has spent nearly 20 years at UM not just kissing rectums, but kissing the right rectums. In the early 2010s, when Miami was performing terribly on the field, Beta Blake could brag about year-over-year increases in Hurricane Club revenue. Not because he was increasing the number of small donors, but because he was squeezing more money out of a handful of large donors. I've tried to explain before how many tickets the Golden Canes and other large donors get, but people get dismissive and act like this is some sort of class warfare argument. It is not. It is simply how Beta Blake has built his castle to withstand the complaints of those of us who love football, but don't write six-figure donations to UM on an annual basis.

And while Beta Blake has been assisted in his strategery by some external forces (changes in IRS regulations and renovations of Hard Rock which have focused on building premium seating areas), Beta Blake has capitalized on all of these changes to create a situation where "stop buying season tickets and stop donating" do not work any longer. The old Orange Bowl had about a 2-to-1 ratio of lower bowl to upper bowl seating, with almost no suites or amenities (outside of limited parking/tailgating). When we moved, the ratio was about 1-to-2 of lower bowl to upper bowl, plus suites, etc., and Blake has really gone out of his way to kowtow to the big donors. Additionally, we used to have about 8 or 10 Hurricane Club donor levels, with well-defined prioritization of benefits and annual tracking of your Hurricane Club points, and now there are almost no distinctions outside of contributing $100 (although we all know that the Golden Canes still exist). So Blake has spent a decade building up his list of a couple of thousand loyal donors who make up 75 to 80 percent of Hurricane Club contributions (and an even greater percentage of the capital campaign donations).

Bottom line, Beta Blake knows what side of his bread is buttered, and he doesn't care about the un-buttered side. I just heard from a guy who attended an event in Atlanta on Friday with about 70 to 90 alums. When he was asked what those alums thought about Beta Blake, he said that they seemed to like Blake, and I don't doubt it. Blake makes sure that a couple thousand big-donor UM types get the best seats, the best hotels, the best meals, the best events, and the best treatment, and he hits 80% of his Hurricane Club donation budget every year regardless of whether the rank-and-file UM alums and fans want to fly banners or rent billboard trucks or threaten to withhold contributions and ticket renewals.

As for the BOT, I've been saying this for years, it's just too **** big. The BOT is nearly 100 dilettante members who have successfully raised a ton of money for UM, and generally care about UM, but know next to nothing about college athletics. There's no way that 100 people like that are going to know what to do about UM Athletics, or even 51 of them. We need a smaller, autonomous sub-group that is empowered to run things and only report back to the entire BOT in issues of hiring/firing (and/or a new Nike contract).

As for Julio Frenk, to quote Jay-Z, he only gets half a bar. F**k y'all, Frenk family.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If UM administration offered Jimbo Fisher 5 years $50m/yr fully guaranteed contract:

1. Jimbo would leave A&M yesterday for that deal
2. He would clean up recruiting in SoFlo.

100%.

Oh and Jimbo's deal with A&M doesn't include a buyout.

No he would not.

He has a 10-year rolling contract that already (as of next year) pays him over $9 million per year. You think he is going to take a 10% salary increase for half the years to come to UM? Hilarious.

Last edited:
Has Miami ever landed a BIG name coach? I could be wrong but I could've sworn Schelly (to an extent), Jimmy, Butch, Wandstedt, Tuberville, etc. all made their names here before moving on to larger pastures.

This false pretense that we have to have a big name guy is crazy. We just need good/great coaches to recruit and develop. The rest will take care of itself.

GO CANES!!!

Richt.

Do you think we could get Blake James to push a ****** kid in a fountain?

Right Said Fred is clueless.

It was football players who threw a ****** kid into Lake Osceola in April when Saban was not even around. And then when Saban returned to campus and was asked about it, he made a joke. And continued to coach UM. He tried to resign mid-season over this incident (and others), but he coached out the year and then left for Army. He was never fired.

So, yeah, we're gonna need a lot more to get rid of Beta Blake.

Bill Clark. But we get your point. Clark is a teacher, he will get the most out of the talent on the roster.

We need to hire Joe Clark...

1631052799711.png

Advertisement
Would he with the right AD? The entire premise of someone of Jimbo's caliber coming here would be predicated on a new AD and a commitment to success.
There’s no way in **** Miami is hiring a coach away from the team he just won a ‘ship with.

Advertisement
Let’s see how Mario does as we all know how Manny has done in these types of games can the Elites.

1631057523296.png

Advertisement
Back