Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

For your sake I hope he doesn't find a way to sht the bed against a mediocre team.

He's the one I'm the most bipolar about. One day I'll convince myself he'd be a worthy coach, the next he makes me reconsider.
He’s not a great game day coach , never will be. So he will lose a game occasionally that leaves you scratching your head. But so did Butch , Mario knows this job and location better than anybody. He knows Miami was built on physicality and violence. He’d bring that and talent. There would be an attitude we haven’t had in 15 years. That’s all I want , I want an attitude.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He’s not a great game day coach , never will be. So he will lose a game occasionally that leaves you scratching your head. But so did Butch , but Mario knows this job and location better than anybody. He knows Miami was built on physicality and violence. He’d bring that and talent. There would be an attitude we haven’t had in 15 years. That’s all I want , I want an attitude.
Right but here's what the BOT wants.........We're a volleyball school now

He’s not a great game day coach , never will be. So he will lose a game occasionally that leaves you scratching your head. But so did Butch , but Mario knows this job and location better than anybody. He knows Miami was built on physicality and violence. He’d bring that and talent. There would be an attitude we haven’t had in 15 years. That’s all I want , I want an attitude.
Like I said I have days like today where I say **** yes and others when he doesn't even win his division.

If we can't get a home run hire, he'll be fine for 4-5 years of good enough.

Like I said I have days like today where I say **** yes and others when he doesn't even win his division.

If we can't get a home run hire, he'll be fine for 4-5 years of good enough.
I said it on another thread. His floor is much higher than anyone else and he would stabilize and modernize the program in a way that Richt did. Don’t know what the ceiling is but it’s certainly higher than it is with Diaz. He would be the lowest risk candidate out there.

Advertisement
I understand what you’re saying but Richt was not an “elite” coach, he was completely checked out and still got us ranked #2 in the country for a short period. It ended up being a fluke but that goes to show all you need is a competent coach here at Miami to make some noise, I mean c’mon we play in the fckin COASTAL!!! That’s what makes me the most frustrated, we continue to whiff left and right on HC’s. Obviously you need to recruit at a good level to succeed but being successful at Miami while playing in the ACC should be a walk in the park if we’re being real. This BOT is just so clueless and they don’t care which is just so infuriating.

Lucky bounces got Miami there in 2017, not Mark Richt. C'mon now.

Needed a miracle final play at Florida State ... needed a miracle 4th-and-10 grab (after blowing most of that game to Georgia Tech) ... almost blew it at North Carolina against a bad Tar Heels team (forced late fumble to stay alive) ... shootout with a decent Syracuse team that could've gone either way.

7-0 start fueled those back-to-back home night games against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame. Knowing how Miami has responded to losses and adversity, no way we see those magical wins if the Canes rolled into the first prime time match-up 4-3 (Hokies probably would've been a 3:30pm kickoff if Canes weren't undefeated; different stadium energy.)

Richt was who we thought he was that season when Miami got beat by a four-win Pittsburgh team in the regular season finale, got smoked by Clemson in the ACC Championship, 38-3 and Miami blew an early 14-3 lead against Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl, losing 34-24 and making Alex Hornibrook look like the second coming of Tom Brady.

Miami backed their way into #2 for one week leading into Thanksgiving and went 0-3 the rest of year, which Richt was 7-9 after the lucky-break 10-0 start. The man deserves no legit credit for some fugazi #2 rank that was completely destroyed over the next three games.

As the son of a faculty member who taught at The U for 35 years, a proud alum, Hurricane Club, loyal donor, and rabid fan who fell in love with 'Canes football as an 8-year old boy watching Kenny Calhoun tip that pass away in the end zone, it's hard for me to accept Barry's article, but at some time, you have to accept reality. The truth hurts. The administration (BoT, Frenk, BJ) doesn't care about winning the way we do and hasn't for 20+ years. Even in the glory days, the admin simply tolerated football, it was just a means to an end (i.e., academic rankings). They never embraced it, yet conveniently use The U as the school's identity and brand. As long as the current cast of characters is in charge, we're wasting our time, breath, money, and posts. They see "Athletics" as just another part of a university enterprise, that in many respects, is floundering everywhere (way to go Frenk for killing our academic rankings too!). So as long as the checks from the ACC and other donors keep rolling in, nothing will change, and we'll continue to get bargain basement hires who have no business coaching our marquee programs. And yet, like people who can't get over a bad breakup, we the fans, continue to hold out hope that "our long lost love" will come back for us and all will be right again. Here's the reality. She ain't coming back. She doesn't love you. Or me. Never has. Never will. So as hard as it is, we all need to move on, find something better to do with our Saturdays, root for another team, or change our expectations mightily. Because as long we believe the lie that they care, we'll be upset and rant and be on these boards way too many hours of the day and night. I hate to accept it, but the truth is right there in front of us. It's been evident for the past 20+ years.

Guess it’s going to go nuclear around the Hecht again. Order pizzas, fly banners, boo at basketball games, flood BOT emails, get vocal about it in every aspect of UM.. **** that gets exhausting. But isn’t it worth it

Advertisement
He’s not a great game day coach , never will be. So he will lose a game occasionally that leaves you scratching your head. But so did Butch , Mario knows this job and location better than anybody. He knows Miami was built on physicality and violence. He’d bring that and talent. There would be an attitude we haven’t had in 15 years. That’s all I want , I want an attitude.
Exactly!
I just want us to play Miami football again! Mario is an alpha type. He'll bring in dawgs and encourage dawg-like behavior on the field.
Manny tried to talk that game, but it's not believable coming from a 5'9" lispy politician. Mario has been in the trenches and ain't about gimmicks.

I can't stand this nice-guy ****. And it's worse than people think. If they only knew what Manny lets these kids get away with. He's not viewed as an alpha/authoritative figure AT ALL, and it shows on the field.
And the fact that he surrounded himself with other betas during his initial hires made matters even worse. Now you got alpha types like T-Rob and Ish trying to instill some toughness in these kids, but the damage has already been done.

NOT ONE COACH on Manny's initial staff had any nuts and/or put any fire in these kids what-so-ever.
How the **** you plan to field a nasty defense with a bunch of fvckin' nice guys and bartenders?

Y'all remember...this is Barry Jackson🥺

And we know he isn't reliable
I hate quoting Barry but he drops quite the bomb. The bot and admin simply don't care.

2) Find a special coach who can lead this program from Top 15-to-25 caliber to something far greater.

I view that as unlikely.

UM’s Board of Trustees isn’t motivated to spend $10 million a year for an elite coach with championship pedigree. And even if the Hurricanes could land, say, a Jimbo Fisher, there’s no assurance he could make the Canes elite again.

The sense here is that the administration will stick with Manny Diaz - who’s in year three of a five-year deal - if he wins in the range of nine games a year and keeps UM generally in the top 25, regardless of whether the gap is closed with Alabama or not.

As one Board of Trustee member said, though some members have higher standards than simply being a borderline Top 20 program, president Julio Frenk isn’t a big sports fan and there’s little motivation internally to keep changing coaches until they find one to build UM back to top-five-in-the-country status.

Perhaps that view changes once a coach reaches the end of his contract; if Diaz goesn’t get an extension after year 3 or 4, that would be telling.

The Hurricanes simply aren’t going to spend the money on an Urban Meyer-type unless there’s a dramatic change in philosophy.

Its over boys.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back