MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

1691085251474.png

Advertisement
How would merging with the PAC who was just offered a $20M/school/yr deal increase the ACC "Magnificent 7" payout? It wouldn't. You need 3/4ths vote to approve new members. That's 12 votes. So if only 4 vote no - FSU, Clemson, Miami, and one more because they are the most dissatisfied with the current distributions then that isn't going anywhere.

Maybe offering only Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, and like ASU would work - paying them only $31M matching their Big12 offer. Then the difference in value goes directly to Miami, FSU, and Clemson... But the rest of PAC is dead weight

But we're right back to the problem ESPN doesn't have the money or timeslots for this. They already have 2/3rd of BIG12 to support and full SEC. There is a reason they didn't bid on PAC. They can't.

Once schools give notice, they won't be allowed to vote on things such as "new membership".

The issue that would be addressed with an A&P merger is time zones. Yes, an all-west-coast conference is not enough to make ESPN write checks. But if Biggie and Tupac decide to record a song together, you'd get to have some of those good west coast schools playing games in the E.S.T. You could spread your time slots out ALL DAY LONG without having to worry about ALL of your games being late-night games.

The key factor is that you could have anywhere from 1-3 conferences that would be "national" coast-to-coast conferences. The Big 10 would obviously be the best, and then it would be up to the A&P and the Big 12 to fight for second-best.

Hey, Brett, "meeting" and "vetting and approving" are two different things.

But look at McMurphy trying to rehabilitate his earlier reporting...

And I'm not saying McMurphy is always right or always wrong. But what Washington/Oregon tells him about "vetting and approval" might be a bit...biased? Self-serving? Inaccurate?

Advertisement
Why do you suddenly get reasonable after 50 posts and 200 pages of arguing?

First reasonable point you've made in a while. Kudos.

UVa/GaTech only have a pathway if the SEC joins the dance.
Only if you think the B1G is going to stop at 20. I think they'll go to atleast 24, if not 28, if they can work out the funding. They got their own network, if memory serves I think they get like a 10x increase in subscriber fee for every state they've got a school in. I think their preference is probably something like:
UNC > Miami > Ore > Wash > GT > Clemson > FSU > UVA > Stanford > Cal

I know I've seen the list of schools they've alledegly vetted sometime in the last 6 months, I think all of these schools were on there except maybe Clemson and maybe FSU. I think they'd take FSU and Clemson for how valuable their football programs would be to their league, but I honestly think those school presidents would prefer better institutional academic fits. But if FSU and Clemson are the first out the ACC door, I think they'll take them first and pick up the rest later.

told ya...

Now ACC-PAC12/Big12 merger would encircletheir adversaries....

of money is right...FSU, Miami, Clemson stay put

Long term, if other regions of country can start developing talent, SEC will suffer.

I'd argue they would shrink.

People need to think not for today, but what moves can be made to outpace our adversaries 20 mins from now.

Just look how European monarchies/nations behaved since 1600s....

Last edited:
Advertisement
I thought one of the hold ups originally with Oregon and Washington was that they needed to move with their respective state school “partner”

Nah, it was that all their media partners and consultants pointed out that the East Coast schools were far more valuable than the West Coast schools. And the Apple TV "streaming-only" deal "if you hit the subscription numbers" just proves it.

Now, is there a cut-rate number at which West Coast schools begin to make sense again for the Big 10? Sure. Start the bidding at the same $20M that Apple TV offered and then let's see where it goes.

Hey, Brett, "meeting" and "vetting and approving" are two different things.

But look at McMurphy trying to rehabilitate his earlier reporting...

And I'm not saying McMurphy is always right or always wrong. But what Washington/Oregon tells him about "vetting and approval" might be a bit...biased? Self-serving? Inaccurate?

Didn't people say 10 schools have been vetted weeks ago?? I think his tweet was directed at those saying B1G needed more info on them.

told ya...

Now ACC-PAC12/Big12 merger would encircletheir adversaries....

of money is right...FSU, Miami, Clemson stay put

Long term, if other regions of country can start developing talent, SEC will suffer.

I'd argue they would shrink.

People need to think not for today, but what moves can be made to outpace our adversaries 20 mins from now.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ACC/PAC/B12 Greatest Hits would be a banger of an album, I just don't think there are enough OTA networks to pay them what they would be looking for.

Fox/CBS/NBC are already in bed with the Big 10. ABC/ESPN has the SEC.

So you know what this means, right?

The CW is going to be the new titan of college sports!

Advertisement
How would merging with the PAC who was just offered a $20M/school/yr deal increase the ACC "Magnificent 7" payout? It wouldn't. You need 3/4ths vote to approve new members. That's 12 votes. So if only 4 vote no - FSU, Clemson, Miami, and one more because they are the most dissatisfied with the current distributions then that isn't going anywhere.

Maybe offering only Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, and like ASU would work - paying them only $31M matching their Big12 offer. Then the difference in value goes directly to Miami, FSU, and Clemson... But the rest of PAC is dead weight

But we're right back to the problem ESPN doesn't have the money or timeslots for this. They already have 2/3rd of BIG12 to support and full SEC. There is a reason they didn't bid on PAC. They can't.
WRONG.

The new Coast-To-Coast Conference will be exclusively broadcast on*

ESPN 8, The Ocho

We fuccin durty durty now.

*along with goat mud roller derby from.Mongolia

Didn't people say 10 schools have been vetted weeks ago?? I think his tweet was directed at those saying B1G needed more info on them.

I don't know who "people" are, but there are certainly levels to "vetting", and then the word "approval" means something completely different.

To give an example, my company has plenty of acquisition targets. We know a lot about them. But until we get the FULL due diligence, it's all just...talk...

And, sure, maybe evaluating these collegiate things is not quite as complex as a corporate acquisition. Fair enough.

Right now, all we know is "surface-level". Washington-Oregon are willing to join the Big 10 for half-shares. BUT FOR HOW LONG? Will there be a progressively-higher vesting schedule such as what Rutgers-Maryland have? Is that already priced into the Fox/CBS/NBC deals?

There's more to this than what Washington-Oregon tell Brett McMurphy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back