MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Clemson has a landing spot (anywhere they want) if the ACC blows up. legit Clemson could just sit the entire thing out and it wont matter to them. theyre really the only magnificent team of the magnificent 7 lol so figuring out where they end up isnt an issue bc every conf on earth would want Clemson.

Yes Clemson has been the best performer in football the last 10 years, but I’ll point out that they are an averages sized university, 21k enrollment, that’s a public university that’s not known for academics and is located in a not premier location, In the 23rd most populated state at 5.2mm

For context Florida is 3rd at 21.8mm

Virginia is 12th at 8.6mm

Advertisement
Don't bet your home on that. Realignment IS happening and the Big 12 will be adding quality programs that will not be invited to the SEC or Big 10. Would not be surprised to see Duke, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville in the Big 12 once all of the dust settles. As pointed out earlier in this thread ...the Big 12 $$$ would surpass what these teams currently receive in the horrific ACC media deal. Two heavyweight conferences with the main prime time slots ... Big 10 and SEC. Then the Big 12 ... a light heavyweight with the cream of the "leftovers" coast to coast.
Can absolutely see Louisville and GT/Duke joining the Big 12 along with Oregon and Washington.

Toss up between GT and Duke because both help academically. Duke and Elko string together another good year, they are likely the pick because Duke basketball will add to the already top basketball conference in the Big 12. GT has the ATL market, which I’m not sure how valuable that is due to GT struggling and never really being a “football or basketball” school.

Dabo is not present at the meetings this year. The conference fined him $10K for missing it. Seems the conference meetings were moved to an earlier date this year and Sweeney had a family European vacation planned for a long time and declined to alter his plans.

1684249834891.jpeg

I called that loser out on twitter years ago. Told him he's a useless AD and that he needs to raise funds for facility upgrades.

He got in his feelings and replied to me, suggesting I be the one to kick it off by donating money.

What a tool. It was obvious from the moment that loser took the job, he was incompetent - at best.

That was his standard response to EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION THAT ANY ALUM EVER MADE TO HIM.

No joke. He never said "good idea, I'm going to look into that". It was always "and how much can I put you down for donating to make it happen."

Words cannot describe how much I hated Beta Blake.

That is a top 25 and top 15 tv market though, if we are looking past success.
If I were to add anything additional, maybe being located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country as an additional plus for Miami. More surprising to me is that both the Tampa and Orlando tv markets are bigger than Miami-FLL

Advertisement
I have a feeling that the political forces in Virginia and North Carolina made UNC and UVA take NC State and VT to the dance.

Not if the "good" academic schools get into the Big 10, and the "bad" academic schools get into the SEC.

If that happens, politicians in NC and VA are going to be ecstatic.

Yes Clemson has been the best performer in football the last 10 years, but I’ll point out that they are an averages sized university, 21k enrollment, that’s a public university that’s not known for academics and is located in a not premier location, In the 23rd most populated state at 5.2mm

For context Florida is 3rd at 21.8mm

Virginia is 12th at 8.6mm

Fair points.

I'd also point out that Clemson would get the Big 10 into SC and it would lock down SC for the SEC.

While SC is not the biggest state, I would also point out that Clemson is on the SC-GA state line. Clemson is geographically closer to UGa in Athens, GA than it is to USC in Columbia, SC.

If I were to add anything additional, maybe being located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country as an additional plus for Miami. More surprising to me is that both the Tampa and Orlando tv markets are bigger than Miami-FLL

Tampa has St. Pete and Clearwater, and gets into areas like Bradenton and Lakeland.

Orlando TV market goes all the way out to Daytona Beach and Cocoa Beach.

Advertisement
The 2023 Nielsen stats are a bit different:

-#13 Tampa St Pete 1.9 million TV families
-#16 Miami Ft. Lauderdale 1.7 million TV families
-#18 Orlando Daytona Beach 1.5 million TV families

Yes.

As a person who has lived in Florida (and now Georgia) since the age of 5, I'd love to be in the SEC for rivalry and geographic purposes.

But I can't ignore that the Big 10 TV money and academics are pretty compelling.
Taking that monopoly and recruiting advantage away from the gator would be nice. I think we’re better off in the Big 10 though for culture, academics and what I think will be a great financial package.

You’re not wrong in saying this, but this component is low on the order of importance

Dollars and cents, market share, tv viewerships…. These are the critical components

BigTen figured this out and put it into practice before SEC.

Can absolutely see Louisville and GT/Duke joining the Big 12 along with Oregon and Washington.

Toss up between GT and Duke because both help academically. Duke and Elko string together another good year, they are likely the pick because Duke basketball will add to the already top basketball conference in the Big 12. GT has the ATL market, which I’m not sure how valuable that is due to GT struggling and never really being a “football or basketball” school.
Probably a microcosm to Rutgers in the Big 10

Advertisement
Not if the "good" academic schools get into the Big 10, and the "bad" academic schools get into the SEC.

If that happens, politicians in NC and VA are going to be ecstatic.
NC State and VT could fit in the SEC. I could see it though the VT student body is actually comprised of a lot of future engineers and people in the health sciences, a lot of their townie fans are straight bottom of the barrel hillbillies and I kid you not.

Actually, as I know you’ve been to the NASCAR race at Bristol, I’m sure you know.

That was his standard response to EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION THAT ANY ALUM EVER MADE TO HIM.

No joke. He never said "good idea, I'm going to look into that". It was always "and how much can I put you down for donating to make it happen."

Hope BJ enjoyed that no vaseline move by UM and the other schools looking to bail out this **** conference. Have fun with your rival games against UMass

karate push GIF

NC State and VT could fit in the SEC. I could see it though the VT student body is actually comprised of a lot of future engineers and people in the health sciences, a lot of their townie fans are straight bottom of the barrel hillbillies and I kid you not.

Actually, as I know you’ve been to the NASCAR race at Bristol, I’m sure you know.

Definitely know where you're coming from there.

One of my best friends at UM was from NoVa. He's the one who taught me the phrase "all dirt roads lead to Blacksburg". His sister went to VaTech and met her husband there, they now have a company that builds high-end custom homes in NoVa.

Don't forget, they had that huge Tennessee-VaTech game at Bristol a few years ago...sold a LOT of tickets...

Advertisement

DiDn't know that was his M.O - NOT SURPRISED.

Good riddance. I'm glad that bum is gone.

You guys are reading these things so wrong as I’ve tried to explain earlier in this thread life but I’m also not going to try and reexplain it yet again as you guys use data but not context to draw the wrong conclusions over and over again. I don’t try to explain to engineers How I have tools to argue with them and I’m not going to argue with people that have no experience in tv rights or media marketing or streaming how they know more because of this link I gave here

That's how I feel about you and English, though.

You guys are reading these things so wrong as I’ve tried to explain earlier in this thread life but I’m also not going to try and reexplain it yet again as you guys use data but not context to draw the wrong conclusions over and over again. I don’t try to explain to engineers How I have tools to argue with them and I’m not going to argue with people that have no experience in tv rights or media marketing or streaming how they know more because of this link I gave here

Are you of the belief that decisions are made regarding conf realignment prior to the 2023 football season?

Definitely know where you're coming from there.

One of my best friends at UM was from NoVa. He's the one who taught me the phrase "all dirt roads lead to Blacksburg". His sister went to VaTech and met her husband there, they now have a company that builds high-end custom homes in NoVa.

Don't forget, they had that huge Tennessee-VaTech game at Bristol a few years ago...sold a LOT of tickets...

Part of what makes the SEC great — and there is a lot if we're being honest — is the (often accurate) characterizations of fans and especially alumni from the different schools.

The yin and yang of UVA and VT and UNC and NC State would definitely add to that mix.

If we got invited to the SEC along with FSU, it would add our whole "Big 3" triangle dynamic to the conference.

Frankly, it would be great

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back