MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Best fit if Miami leaves the ACC: Big Ten

What we're hearing: The Big Ten "badly" wants a program in Florida to compete with the SEC on fertile recruiting soil and for more national attention. That's the way one source put it. Miami was one of a couple ACC programs the Big Ten initially considered last summer during the realignment extravaganza, joining Florida State and UNC. With the conference already widening its reach to California with USC and UCLA, stretching deep into Florida seems like a no-brainer. Miami just wants out of the ACC, period, one source said.

Here's what Inside The U's David Lake told 247Sports on the Hurricanes and the Big Ten: "Miami, like most of the ACC, simply cares about raising the revenue cut that they receive from the conference, so with that being said UM would not be picky at all if given the opportunity to join the SEC or Big Ten. If Miami had its pick of the two—and the money was even—we get the sense that the Big Ten would get the edge because the general profile of the conference is similar to UM.

"Miami is a smaller private school (like Northwestern) in a major market (like Northwestern, Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Maryland). Miami would also be attractive to the Big Ten conference. Many Big Ten conference alums have either moved to Florida from the Northeast in recent years and/or the older alumni base of many Big Ten schools live in the state of Florida part time during the winter months. Miami may not have the biggest alumni base as a small, private school, but in the state of Florida, it would attract fans of opponents to games. Adding Miami would give the Big Ten a presence in the state of Florida, which also matters in recruiting.Again, Miami is not against the idea of playing in the SEC either. But the Big Ten represents a better fit for the Hurricanes."

The last part is what @TheOriginalCane is saying since yesterday.

The article has Clemson,Florida State and NC State to the SEC - Miami, UNC, UVA, VaTech to the B1G.

Last edited:
Advertisement

What we're hearing: The Big Ten "badly" wants a program in Florida to compete with the SEC on fertile recruiting soil and for more national attention. That's the way one source put it. Miami was one of a couple ACC programs the Big Ten initially considered last summer during the realignment extravaganza, joining Florida State and UNC. With the conference already widening its reach to California with USC and UCLA, stretching deep into Florida seems like a no-brainer. Miami just wants out of the ACC, period, one source said.
Here's what Inside The U's David Lake told 247Sports on the Hurricanes and the Big Ten: "Miami, like most of the ACC, simply cares about raising the revenue cut that they receive from the conference, so with that being said UM would not be picky at all if given the opportunity to join the SEC or Big Ten. If Miami had its pick of the two—and the money was even—we get the sense that the Big Ten would get the edge because the general profile of the conference is similar to UM.

"Miami is a smaller private school (like Northwestern) in a major market (like Northwestern, Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Maryland). Miami would also be attractive to the Big Ten conference. Many Big Ten conference alums have either moved to Florida from the Northeast in recent years and/or the older alumni base of many Big Ten schools live in the state of Florida part time during the winter months. Miami may not have the biggest alumni base as a small, private school, but in the state of Florida, it would attract fans of opponents to games. Adding Miami would give the Big Ten a presence in the state of Florida, which also matters in recruiting.Again, Miami is not against the idea of playing in the SEC either. But the Big Ten represents a better fit for the Hurricanes."

The article has Clemson,Florida State and NC State to the SEC - Miami, UNC, UVA, VaTech to the B1G.

Yessir.

A lot of people analyze this **** in a binary fashion. "Oh, Oregon hax X as a viewer base".

But this is actually 7D chess. Lots of moving parts, lots of angles.

Long...but accurate...
@Confidence1000 - get him!!!

IMG_5668.gif

Selfishly, living in Dallas, I want Miami in the SEC.

But give Miami Big Ten money, and a schedule that is largely northern teams?

That would be semi-yearly playoff appearances if Cristobal only even kinda turned it around.

Advertisement
So with Louisville we have 8 universities that want to leave? Isn't that what we need to disband the ACC, if the majority decides to disband it they have to disband it? Or was that just a rumor?

Brad Crawford, huh?

Looks like a guy we should believe 😐

Screenshot-2023-05-16-at-1-04-38-PM.png

Texas, Oklahoma, USC and UCLA all moved in silence. Nothing leaked until it was already a done deal.
Leaks was how VT got included in the first ACC expansion over Syracuse.
There was one big difference in the sense that those schools could make the call to leave because the contracts were up and the exit fees were clear and manageable.

But Dan has been moving in silence like a wizard behind the curtain since before he got to Miami on this.

At some point though the now 8 schools had to leak it to get things going - getting to 8 was the silence.

Long time ago people told you Clemson and Miami were always talking and I’m pretty sure that despite the word leaking that it was fsu and Clemson, that’s more spin and moving in silence. But all three closely aligned.

Advertisement
I dont think FSU and Miami would cancel their game if and likely when they split up. we've been in separate conferences and played yearly. the tricky part is if its two 20+ member conferences and non conference games become close to eliminated (tho id rather keep FSU as a staple non conf game).

(I do not think miami goes to the SEC, I think its b10 and I believe we fit the b10 profile better than we do the SEC. we are a small private school w a heavy NE student body and a big Chicago presence and we aren't remotely southern or traditional. FSU has some of the issues UF has w their student body coming from major cities but I think they fit the SEC profile better than we do (traditional state school w southern traditions))
As a lifelong Chicagoan outside of my four years at UM, I have already joked with another UM alum here in Chicago about splitting an RV to roadtrip around the Midwest if this happens. Fear not if we end up in Big10 instead of SEC we will be represented, we run strong in Chicago.

Has anyone thought about which schools in each conference are easier to get to via airplane? I would think Big10 but curious. A lot of the SEC schools only are by regional airports.

Advertisement
Both have tv deals that are light years better than the acc. They will probably trade spots a couple times over the next 15 years when it's time to renegotiate. I think the path to a conference title is going to easier through the B1G.

Funny that years ago when the SEC invited UM, we snubbed them because the UM brass thought they were dumb hicks. Fast forward 20+ years... Not sure where undergrad ranks, but with law school rankings, a whole lot of SEC schools are way above UM now (UGA is top 25, Bama is way ahead too)

Man, we have had some really dumb people in charge over the last two decades.
Donna Shalala

So with Louisville we have 8 universities that want to leave? Isn't that what we need to disband the ACC, if the majority decides to disband it they have to disband it? Or was that just a rumor?
Louisville as the 8th team is just a rumor for now.

They allegedly got reassurance from the Big 12 and so they joined the other 7 teams.

No doubt, but here’s a fun fact about Rutgers prior to joining the B1G: From 2004-13 (10 seasons) they went: 75-51 (5 bowl victories). By comparison, we went: 75-49 (2 bowl victories). The irony.

Mario Cristobal and Greg Schiano are basically the same coach.

Advertisement
As a lifelong Chicagoan outside of my four years at UM, I have already joked with another UM alum here in Chicago about splitting an RV to roadtrip around the Midwest if this happens. Fear not if we end up in Big10 instead of SEC we will be represented, we run strong in Chicago.

Has anyone thought about which schools in each conference are easier to get to via airplane? I would think Big10 but curious. A lot of the SEC schools only are by regional airports.
Gotta be the Big Ten. Northwestern, Minnesota, OSU, Maryland, Rutgers, and Michigan should all be pretty easy to get to.

Advertisement
Back