MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Lol. Greenberg Traurig is a good firm. I clerked at their Lauderdale office. But ACC is not going to settle and nobody is going anywhere until 2030. I never said mid 2030s.

I don't follow the fsu and clemson to big ten rumors like you guys do, and certainly not of the rest of the ACC, but I don't see how anybody grows the pie large enough to get a full share. The schools that did that were texas, usc and Notre Dame. And I don't see the point of taking a half share instead of fixing the acc if possible.

So who knows. You certainly do not. But if I had to guess, I would guess that ESPN extends, the case in north carolina finishes first (even the double Nole is pushing mediation), And eventually the ACC reforms by kicking out wake/bc. But I don't see any of that happening until 2030.
That is possibly the worst, most ill informed take on the FSU situation and likely outcome of ESPN and the ACC's likely action that I have read anywhere. Like you said at the beginning ... you don't follow what is happening ... and it is obvious by your conclusions.

Advertisement
farley-tommyboy.gif

Let's scenario Yormark + Big 12 puts together offer for Miami close enough to SEC/B1G money annually.

Do we care if Miami goes Big 12 then?

One remote possibility thats been mentioned but would be intriguing is if the ACC votes to disband and then reforms with fewer teams. Payouts per team go way up. It would be the “academic elite” conference with a mix of private schools and elite public schools (with the exception of FSU and Clemson).
Yormark grabs a few of the teams that didn’t make the cut, and seem like a better fit for the Big 12 anyways like Pitt, NC St, and Louisville. Maybe we horse trade a big 12 school like Baylor.

Let’s say the ACC is

Private division
Miami
Duke
Stanford (partial shares)
SMU (no shares)
Notre Dame (by affiliation)
Baylor

Public Division
FSU
Clemson
UNC
Cal
UVA
Georgia Tech

That’s 12 teams. Payout would be around 65-70 million per team (assuming the share splits remain the same as under current deal). Add in performance based incentives and you are easily pushing 80-85 million to the top teams, which puts the total payouts through 2030 to be as good as the P2. Top to bottom that’s a very strong conference, and if they adopt the optional player revenue sharing model (20% of revenue to players), you would have one of the most balanced conferences, with top recruits across the country wanting in to get the revenue sharing.

Big 12 would be

All the current teams minus Baylor, plus
VT
Louisville
NC St
Pitt

Those are good markets for the big 12 and each one gives new carriage fees to the networks since the conference isn’t in those states.

Nobody pays exit fees or gets sued by the networks, and the schools make as much money as the P2.

One remote possibility thats been mentioned but would be intriguing is if the ACC votes to disband and then reforms with fewer teams. Payouts per team go way up. It would be the “academic elite” conference with a mix of private schools and elite public schools (with the exception of FSU and Clemson).
Yormark grabs a few of the teams that didn’t make the cut, and seem like a better fit for the Big 12 anyways like Pitt, NC St, and Louisville. Maybe we horse trade a big 12 school like Baylor.

Let’s say the ACC is

Private division
Miami
Duke
SMU (no shares)
Baylor

Public Division
FSU
Clemson
UNC
Cal
UVA
Georgia Tech

That’s 12 teams. Payout would be around 65-70 million per team (assuming the share splits remain the same as under current deal). Add in performance based incentives and you are easily pushing 80-85 million to the top teams, which puts the total payouts through 2030 to be as good as the P2. Top to bottom that’s a very strong conference, and if they adopt the optional player revenue sharing model (20% of revenue to players), you would have one of the most balanced conferences, with top recruits across the country wanting in to get the revenue sharing.

Big 12 would be

VT
Louisville
NC St
Pitt

Those are good markets for the big 12 and each one gives new carriage fees to the networks since the conference isn’t in those states.

Nobody pays exit fees or gets sued by the networks, and the schools make as much money as the P2.
Won’t happen

Let’s say the ACC is

Private division
Miami
Duke
SMU (no shares)
Baylor

Public Division
FSU
Clemson
UNC
Cal
UVA
Georgia Tech

Big 12 would be

VT
Louisville
NC St
Pitt

I don't see a recent conference champ (Pitt) getting the boot. I also doubt NC St will be broken from UNC.

But hey, if genetics can make up ****, so can we, right?

Advertisement
I don't see a recent conference champ (Pitt) getting the boot. I also doubt NC St will be broken from UNC.

But hey, if genetics can make up ****, so can we, right?

I thought about the NC St split but I don’t think keeping them in the same conference would matter as much as making sure NC St doesn’t end up in the G5. Also as we see from FSU UF, you can still have an annual game between the two.

As for Pitt, you are probably right, in which case swap Baylor for Pitt in the above scenario. It unbalances the private/public a little bit but maybe you put Clemson in with the private school division even though it’s public because of the low enrollment numbers (24k total students)

You get carriage fees in Florida Texas Pennsylvania Georgia North Carolina South Carolina Indiana and California. That’s a lot of money.

Last edited:
When the chum is in the water the predators will gather. PE trying to get in on all this to get a cut and they're probably drooling over the $$$ they're seeing with conference realignment. For ACC teams, some might need PE to lay out the cash to buy them out of the ACC.

In this article, you can't find a bigger liar than Drew Weatherford. The one and only reason he and his PE firm want to get involved is to make money.

If there is no growth, the firm does not take a cut.

“They are not mandated to pay us back the money we give them,” Weatherford said.

These capital firms are built around investing wisely in revenue-generating entities. Why take a risk on the unstable situation in college sports if you aren’t guaranteed a profit?

“I deeply personally believe in college athletics,” Weatherford said. “As an ex-athlete, I owe a lot to it and so does my family. We believe in college athletics. I don’t like the fact that 10 to 15 teams have a chance to win a national title every year. I’d like that to be 40-50. It’s not a level playing field. Not everyone has the resources to compete.”

I thought about the NC St split but I don’t think keeping them in the same conference would matter as much as making sure NC St doesn’t end up in the G5. Also as we see from FSU UF, you can still have an annual game between the two.

As for Pitt, you are probably right, in which case swap Baylor for Pitt in the above scenario. It unbalances the private/public a little bit but maybe you put Clemson in with the private school division even though it’s public because of the low enrollment numbers (24k total students)

You get carriage fees in Florida Texas Pennsylvania Georgia North Carolina South Carolina Indiana and California. That’s a lot of money.
Reality is that NC tourism generated BY the ACC might be THE reason that the NC State Legislature finds a means to ensure that a). UNC remains IN the ACC and b). The ACC remains in tact in some fashion. It was estimated that the annual economic impact on the Charlotte region was close to $600 Million dollars from ACC related tourism. Even read a speculation today that they might consider just giving the NC schools a boost to make their total revenue close to the SEC, rather than risk losing them. Crazy situation.

Advertisement
Reality is that NC tourism generated BY the ACC might be THE reason that the NC State Legislature finds a means to ensure that a). UNC remains IN the ACC and b). The ACC remains in tact in some fashion. It was estimated that the annual economic impact on the Charlotte region was close to $600 Million dollars from ACC related tourism. Even read a speculation today that they might consider just giving the NC schools a boost to make their total revenue close to the SEC, rather than risk losing them. Crazy situation.

Politics make strange bedfellows. That is one of the reasons I thought the ACC could survive in some form- it’s pretty much all dependent on UNC. ACC almost certainly gives insane amounts of lobbying money to North Carolina politicians. They will try to preserve the ACC at any cost, including it seems, kicking up more taxpayer money to make up the difference between the P2. And the NC Supreme Court (elected) will not be friendly to FSU. I think the logical move IF the ACC intends to survive is to cut the dead weight. No one cares about BC, Wake, or Syracuse. Could probably trim 1-2 more teams by moving them to the Big 12 (at espns discretion). Is it going to be as highly regarded as the P2? Football wise, no- but it would undoubtedly be the best academic conference. I think most schools would be quite happy at making P2 equivalent money but with elite academics, even if viewed as a notch below the P2 in football (which is mitigated a bit by being a much better basketball conference ).

Advertisement
Looks like UNC isn't doing anything soon ... Judge in NC just issued a restraining order PROHIBITING THE UNC BOT to have closed meetings to discuss UNC financials, athletic budgets, etc., pending a hearing later in the month. The State politics are going to hamstring any efforts UNC wants to initiate to get out.
Which would make sense cause UNC is basically the foundation school of the ACC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back