MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

It’s the same rhetoric, nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering. Furthermore, it’s still speculative & we know it’s speculative b/c there’s zero definitive statements made. All that needs to happen is we gotta see if or when it happens. Until then, it’s literally riveting conjecture to make the off season go by quicker.

The differences between Texas, OU, USC, UCLA, UO, UW, etc leaving their conferences v. what’s happening in the ACC is quite simple:

1. Texas & OU bailed w/ 1 yr left (Big 12 contract renews July 1 2025, & the Red River Rivals begin SEC membership July 1, 2024 when the new SEC contract begins.)

2. USC & UCLA move to the B1G was negotiated prior to The B1G new media deal, & both stayed members of the PAC-12 until their media rights officially ended at the end of the 2023-2024 season. All other schools leaving for the B1G & B12 also left when it became apparent once the media rights negotiated by the PAC-12 would put them grossly behind the all other conferences b/c The L.A market was not longer viable.

This ACC fiasco a totally different set of rules.
-Will the GOR end in 3 yrs or 9 yrs?
-Is the early exit fee predicated upon 2027 or 2036?
-Did the Presidents, Legal Counsel all willingly & knowingly sign this GOR?
-Is there any ambiguous language involved in said GOR which allows for an early terminations with minimal punitive financial damages to exiting programs?

It’s just way, too, many moving parts which is y it’s speculation, b/c while the other aforementioned program’s exits were clean w/ minimal financial obligations to their prior conferences (e.g Texas & OU exit fee was $100m COMBINED towards the Big 12, The Departing PAC-12 schools having to pay OrSU/WASU $65m COMBINED for leaving the PAC-12, w/ UCLA having to pay an add’l $10m/yr for the next 3 yrs to Cal), that’s a lot different than having to pay a potential $150-$300m exit fee. Lol.

At least there’s some speculation that FSU may just say Fck it, & swallow that financial pill.
Watching all of this play out in real time, I wonder how much something like private equity might help to shape how this all plays out in the end. This is way, way out of my normal area of knowledge but its very interesting.

Advertisement
Holy ****… if that chart of rivalry game viewership is right then no wonder BIG/SEC don’t seem to want us. Our rivalry with FSU is irrelevant and we only appear twice near the bottom of the list. Ouch.
Yes, tough to hear but the Miami "brand" is no longer what it once was. The fix is simple though: win now, win the ACC, get in the CFP. Then the viewers will come back.

It’s the same rhetoric, nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering. Furthermore, it’s still speculative & we know it’s speculative b/c there’s zero definitive statements made. All that needs to happen is we gotta see if or when it happens. Until then, it’s literally riveting conjecture to make the off season go by quicker.

The differences between Texas, OU, USC, UCLA, UO, UW, etc leaving their conferences v. what’s happening in the ACC is quite simple:

1. Texas & OU bailed w/ 1 yr left (Big 12 contract renews July 1 2025, & the Red River Rivals begin SEC membership July 1, 2024 when the new SEC contract begins.)

2. USC & UCLA move to the B1G was negotiated prior to The B1G new media deal, & both stayed members of the PAC-12 until their media rights officially ended at the end of the 2023-2024 season. All other schools leaving for the B1G & B12 also left when it became apparent once the media rights negotiated by the PAC-12 would put them grossly behind the all other conferences b/c The L.A market was not longer viable.

This ACC fiasco a totally different set of rules.
-Will the GOR end in 3 yrs or 9 yrs?
-Is the early exit fee predicated upon 2027 or 2036?
-Did the Presidents, Legal Counsel all willingly & knowingly sign this GOR?
-Is there any ambiguous language involved in said GOR which allows for an early terminations with minimal punitive financial damages to exiting programs?

It’s just way, too, many moving parts which is y it’s speculation, b/c while the other aforementioned program’s exits were clean w/ minimal financial obligations to their prior conferences (e.g Texas & OU exit fee was $100m COMBINED towards the Big 12, The Departing PAC-12 schools having to pay OrSU/WASU $65m COMBINED for leaving the PAC-12, w/ UCLA having to pay an add’l $10m/yr for the next 3 yrs to Cal), that’s a lot different than having to pay a potential $150-$300m exit fee. Lol.

At least there’s some speculation that FSU may just say Fck it, & swallow that financial pill.
You forgot to add, "Who shot JR?"

Last edited:
Advertisement
Holy ****… if that chart of rivalry game viewership is right then no wonder BIG/SEC don’t seem to want us. Our rivalry with FSU is irrelevant and we only appear twice near the bottom of the list. Ouch.

Yes, tough to hear but the Miami "brand" is no longer what it once was. The fix is simple though: win now, win the ACC, get in the CFP. Then the viewers will come back.

Now imagine that list with MIA-PSU, MIA-OSU, and MIA-NEB on the list. That's the appeal.

We have porsters who keep pointing this out, and yes, Miami has had 20 years of being removed from the Natty conversation.

That aside, is Miami a less valuable member to TV revenue than Illinois? Iowa? Northwestern? Kentucky? Vanderbilt? Rutgers? Maryland? Any of the other bottom tier SEC/B1G members? Those conferences are a few top teams amd then nobody else in terms of true revenue generators on a national scale. There is too much competition for people's limited cognitive ability to consume. From that lens, I believe the network lizard overlords would replace many of them with our Hurricanes in an instant.

People say USC was a valuable add to B1G (along with dillutive UCLA and vice versa) but Miami doesn't bring same (stand alone in market)?

The math isn't mathing.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
The brand is stronger than you might think. Last Summer a survey was done by 247 sports of several thousand D1 recruits ... and Miami came in in the top 10 and was higher rated than FSU. Miami needs to win big this season for that to percolate and rise up to the level of national media.

Advertisement
Watching all of this play out in real time, I wonder how much something like private equity might help to shape how this all plays out in the end. This is way, way out of my normal area of knowledge but its very interesting.

It's probably already been mentioned, but very similar to what is happening in the NFL right now and they're voting on allowing PE to provide financial flexibility for team owners and prospective buyers, which is a significant shift from the League's historical stance.

The brand is stronger than you might think. Last Summer a survey was done by 247 sports of several thousand D1 recruits ... and Miami came in in the top 10 and was higher rated than FSU. Miami needs to win big this season for that to percolate and rise up to the level of national media.
The only reason we are in the top 10 is because Mario is a monster recruiter and has restored our name on the recruiting trail. Everyone loves to cite this survey, but I’m not sure it translates to the average viewer of CFB which is what really matters. Mario has to match his recruiting prowess with winning the ACC this year and at least looking competitive in the CFP or we are going to be on the outside looking in.

Advertisement
It's probably already been mentioned, but very similar to what is happening in the NFL right now and they're voting on allowing PE to provide financial flexibility for team owners and prospective buyers, which is a significant shift from the League's historical stance.
Any porster with PE experience here?

How would PE extract value from a public institution's team? Merch and branding sales? I can see that on the private school side, but public school side....oooohhhhh boy.

And then what happens when the PE deal turns sour? Fire sale the assets?

MOVE THE TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY!?

**** YEAH!!!! LET'S HERE IT FOR THE CHARLOTTE CRIMSON TIDE!!!

yr7n0u3qzO9nG.gif

How would PE extract value from a public institution's team? Merch and branding sales? I can see that on the private school side, but public school side....oooohhhhh boy.

View attachment 290355
Only way for them to make money is a resale of their stake down the road. Either sell it back to the University or another investor. Any merch etc would go to the university and not directly to the investors. I guesss they could also do a special dividend but most returns are simply from the eventual sale.

View attachment 290355
Red Bird Capital (with investments in Fenway, Formula One, and pro soccer) and Weatherford Capital launched a college sports fund. Collegiate Athletic Solutions was formed to offer schools investments / loans in the ranges of $50 Million - $200 Million for a share of future revenues. They believe that there are many brands that have been under marketed with a huge upside for dramatically increased revenue with proper marketing and brand development.

Drew Weatherford is on the FSU BOT and he might have to resign once the firm commences funding activities. It is highly likely that this might be a prime source of "exit funding" from the ACC for FSU .... and maybe even other select programs that have a strong brand with upside potential. Crazy.

Advertisement
I see a lot of comments suggesting that if we go to playoffs this year, we will definitely be in P2 - from my limited view, I think whatever moves are going to happen, are going to happen way before next football season takes place.

Seems to me that state of NC is going to do work to keep ACC intact, but still eventually settle with FSU and Clemson so they can leave.
But does that temporary unlocking of the door for those 2 schools apply to all members who haven’t filed before that point? I don’t see ACC imploding anymore. And I think they will make leaving even harder than it is right now once they regroup. And I don’t think we will have enough couch change to come up with exit fees.

Fwiw, I think staying in the ACC is the worst option possible. Especially with it dirty past revealed and with state of NC working to give more to UNC to keep them in ACC, that is going to create a gap within conference. UNC might be good with staying in ACC while being compensated at near P2 levels..

Only way for them to make money is a resale of their stake down the road. Either sell it back to the University or another investor. Any merch etc would go to the university and not directly to the investors. I guesss they could also do a special dividend but most returns are simply from the eventual sale.
Eventual re-sale back to who exactly?

how-a-crypto-ponzi-scheme-works-1024x532.png

Red Bird Capital (with investments in Fenway, Formula One, and pro soccer) and Weatherford Capital launched a college sports fund. Collegiate Athletic Solutions was formed to offer schools investments / loans in the ranges of $50 Million - $200 Million for a share of future revenues. They believe that there are many brands that have been under marketed with a huge upside for dramatically increased revenue with proper marketing and brand development.

Drew Weatherford is on the FSU BOT and he might have to resign once the firm commences funding activities. It is highly likely that this might be a prime source of "exit funding" from the ACC for FSU .... and maybe even other select programs that have a strong brand with upside potential. Crazy.
This shizznizzle ain't gunna end well.

Advertisement
Back