MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Where is this 300-500 million dollar number for the grant of rights coming from though? I have heard multiple people reference these number for a Florida State or Miami buyout on top of the 120 million to get out of the ACC. This makes no sense because I thought the ACC/ESPN deal was only 1.8 billion. So one team could theoretically responsible for **** near a third of the buyout?

I think it is realistic that either the ACC is taken to court in a lawsuit and loses or multiple teams leave at one time and ESPN renegotiates their grant of rights with those teams.
It’s about the value of the contract as a whole. This is not a spot on description, but my understanding is the upfront cost is allegedly $120 million to get out of the conference. Then you have to account for the fact that the ACC owns FSUs tv rights until 2036 and the value of that is several hundred million dollars on top of the $120 mil. So any money Florida State makes off TV rights goes to the ACC until 2036 regardless of what conference they’re in. Obviously, no one would take that deal so to be completely free they would have to pay off the 120 and value of those TV rights through 2036 to the ACC, which is a nonstarter.

I’m sure someone smarter than me will correct the above, but I think that’s the gist.

Advertisement
I was just editing my porst as you typed this and I'd largely agree- but I think (as annoying as it is to still have to kowtow to these clowns) you probably have to get UNC onboard.

That might not be that hard if the B1G is truly interested but I (unfortunately) think it's slightly harder to blow up the entire conference if the only Carolina school in on the effort is Clemson.

Same. The theory largely depends on Duke/UNC-ish. Otherwise 8 gets more difficult or requires things like FSU/Clemson uniting with the Old Big East of Miami/VT/Cuse/Pitt/BC and assumes the BIGly is interested in the Big East… things like that…etc etc etc

We may be nuts but I just don’t see the difficulty in getting to 8…
I’ve said this before. I think people are overestimating the B1G and SEC’s desire to expand. They’re sitting pretty as it is and there’s no need to add teams just for gp and thin out the pot. They’re already printing their own money. This is not to say they wouldn’t expand, but people just assume it’s a given that they would snatch up teams.

I’ve said this before. I think people are overestimating the B1G and SEC’s desire to expand. They’re sitting pretty as it is and there’s no need to add teams just for gp and thin out the pot. They’re already printing their own money. This is not to say they wouldn’t expand, but people just assume it’s a given that they would snatch up teams.
I think there's validity to your argument but I also think there's outside pressure via TV networks and there's a definite pressure to keep up with each other.

I reallllly don't think the SEC wants the B1G to go into Florida and I also think there are still big tv markets sitting out there that would be very attractive to both conferences.

Personally, I think we're one more major expansion of both conferences before they reach the point where they're content and there are two undeniable superconferences.

Advertisement
There might be a contract, but if 4 out of 14 schools are visibly unhappy, it would be ridiculously stupid for the conference to try to maintain the status quo through force.

A big issue that nobody has a clear reading on is what ESPN actually wants to happen. You know they are running a variety of scenarios on conference make up and potential games that could bring in major $$$. A U of Miami vs OSU is going to bring in a lot more national attention and programming $$$ than a U of Miami vs Syracuse. Same with UM vs Tennessee. Big time games = big time $$$.

I believe they are looking at Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC, Va Tech, Duke, with football and basketball, as being programs that could be significantly under valued by remaining in the ACC. Might be a lot more profitable for ESPN to facilitate an exit strategy, even eliminate the ACCN and the conference. Then BC, Syracuse etc. need to find a new home.

A big issue that nobody has a clear reading on is what ESPN actually wants to happen. You know they are running a variety of scenarios on conference make up and potential games that could bring in major $$$. A U of Miami vs OSU is going to bring in a lot more national attention and programming $$$ than a U of Miami vs Syracuse. Same with UM vs Tennessee. Big time games = big time $$$.

I believe they are looking at Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC, Va Tech, Duke, with football and basketball, as being programs that could be significantly under valued by remaining in the ACC. Might be a lot more profitable for ESPN to facilitate an exit strategy, even eliminate the ACCN and the conference. Then BC, Syracuse etc. need to find a new home.
OT but I'd LOVE for Jim B!tcheim at Syracuse to stick around long enough to be corching his program in the Sun Belt or back in the Big East.

Advertisement
Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC/Dook/UVag

IF you can convince UNC & Dook to give up the comfort and their outsized control in the ACC then I think you get to 6 very easily.

The difficulty probably lies in convincing 2 of these that they'll be taken care of but I assume the B1G and/or SEC would be cognizant of the need to blow up the whole conference to get their pick of the first 6 teams.

-Vag Tech/Pitt/BC/NC State

I think at the end of the day you end up just ignoring these schools:

-Wake/GT/Louisville/Syracuse

Sadly, I think sans a very strong coordinated effort by Clemson/Miami/FSU that it might end up being UNC as the domino that has to fall to actually blow up the ACC. Get them to start flirting with the B1G and then I'd say things are much more imminent than they might be right now.
Notre Dame has a vote as well

There aren't eight schools in the ACC that have a better opportunity than the ACC. You would be asking a few that should be trying to keep the conference together to commit suicide.

And there's the rub.
That is assuming that the B12 doesn’t have a larger payoutt than the ACC if they end up going through a large expansion as well…

Last edited:
I think there's validity to your argument but I also think there's outside pressure via TV networks and there's a definite pressure to keep up with each other.

I reallllly don't think the SEC wants the B1G to go into Florida and I also think there are still big tv markets sitting out there that would be very attractive to both conferences.

Personally, I think we're one more major expansion of both conferences before they reach the point where they're content and there are two undeniable superconferences.

The issue with two super conferences is that if it’s constructed entirely of the best teams in the country, they’re going to cannibalize themselves and you end up with a postseason with a bunch of three and four loss teams. You have to have some mediocre teams on the schedule. If you add those types of teams to fill out the schedule, now you’re dividing money amongst more schools that don’t bring any value. At least that’s my take.

I still think an ACC/PAC 12 merger could have some real appeal. A coast to coast conference with football from sun up to sun down on Saturdays. Plenty of teams on either coast to minimize the travel issue. And, you’d have some pretty **** new match ups.

The issue with two super conferences is that if it’s constructed entirely of the best teams in the country, they’re going to cannibalize themselves and you end up with a postseason with a bunch of three and four loss teams. You have to have some mediocre teams on the schedule. If you add those types of teams to fill out the schedule, now you’re dividing money amongst more schools that don’t bring any value. At least that’s my take.

I still think an ACC/PAC 12 merger could have some real appeal. A coast to coast conference with football from sun up to sun down on Saturdays. Plenty of teams on either coast to minimize the travel issue. And, you’d have some pretty **** new match ups.

That’s still different than the current ACC, which is the problem.

Advertisement
With the Big12 and PAC making more than ACC schools, it's not unreasonable to believe there are at least 8 ACC schools that can find a better financial situation than staying in the ACC for 12 more years. Every other conference will get to renegotiate ANOTHER deal before ACC comes to the table again.

If every conference just poached 2 teams from the ACC it's over.

Miami FSU and Clemson all attractive to B1G or SEC.

But the PAC and Big12 can improve with UNC, GT, NCState, VT, UVA, Louisville, Pitt. All these teams bring something to the table whether it's competitive athletics or good media coverage.

ACC is going to have to make some concessions or they're going to end up losing everything. The gap is too big for everybody to just ignore.

It’s about the value of the contract as a whole. This is not a spot on description, but my understanding is the upfront cost is allegedly $120 million to get out of the conference. Then you have to account for the fact that the ACC owns FSUs tv rights until 2036 and the value of that is several hundred million dollars on top of the $120 mil. So any money Florida State makes off TV rights goes to the ACC until 2036 regardless of what conference they’re in. Obviously, no one would take that deal so to be completely free they would have to pay off the 120 and value of those TV rights through 2036 to the ACC, which is a nonstarter.

I’m sure someone smarter than me will correct the above, but I think that’s the gist.
I understand your point. However as someone alluded to earlier in the thread a few post up is why do we assume ESPN doesn't want FSU or Miami a long with other profitable teams to leave. To be clear if we left and paid the 120 mil exit fee would the additional 300-500 mil in grant of rights go to ESPN or a theoretically non-existent ACC? I assume the answer is ESPN. With that being said whats to say ESPN won't chose to waive the grant of rights and renegotiate deals for the super conferences that would exist at the point

Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC/Dook/UVag

IF you can convince UNC & Dook to give up the comfort and their outsized control in the ACC then I think you get to 6 very easily.

The difficulty probably lies in convincing 2 of these that they'll be taken care of but I assume the B1G and/or SEC would be cognizant of the need to blow up the whole conference to get their pick of the first 6 teams.

-Vag Tech/Pitt/BC/NC State

I think at the end of the day you end up just ignoring these schools:

-Wake/GT/Louisville/Syracuse

Sadly, I think sans a very strong coordinated effort by Clemson/Miami/FSU that it might end up being UNC as the domino that has to fall to actually blow up the ACC. Get them to start flirting with the B1G and then I'd say things are much more imminent than they might be right now.
Just have to get a few ADs and presidents to see the writing that is already on the wall. Realignment will continue, and the acc is ******* us over for another decade, get on board or become a basketball only school (thats you BC/Wake/Duke/Cuse) looking for a home in the Big east. I could see a logical move of the whole conference, especially if notre dame stays independent. get from the power five to the power 4-

UNC/UVA join Oregon/Washington, get the B1G to 20 after USC and UCLA, conference is set.

Miami/FSU/Clemson/GT join the SEC to get them to 20 after texas and okla, conference is set.

Big 12: - texas, -Okla, +BYU, +UCF, +Cinci, +Houston. Need more P5 teams, add: Louisville, Vatech, NCst gets them to 15. Any remaining interested parties from the ACC would also add value to that conference in either academics or basketball (wake/cuse/duke/pitt/BC) and/or add a couple more mid majors like tulane, memphis.

Pac 12: losing usc/ucla/oregon/washington needs a bunch of new teams if they want to survive albeit diminished in quality: San Diego State, SMU, Boise St, Utah St, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, UNR if they want to stay regional. If they want to go national or add more P5, add tulane, and fight for schools from the wake/cuse/duke/pitt/BC group.

Acc no longer exists. The deal that was signed is totally ****ed, pays way too little, and lasts way too long. It has to die.

Advertisement

This posted yet?

Now you have the Clemson AD saying it's a NEED for unequal revenue sharing.
thats fine and all except until one of them says here's the money for the GOR and buyout from the conference, its stupid. ACC holds all the cards thanks to the ADs of the ACC schools

thats fine and all except until one of them says here's the money for the GOR and buyout from the conference, its stupid. ACC holds all the cards thanks to the ADs of the ACC schools
No they don't... The PAC12 and Big12 are still looking to expand and they already pay their schools more than the ACC. I said earlier, if the ACC ****es off enough schools, there will be 8 schools who can leave and make more money elsewhere. Maybe not the B1G and the SEC but even the PAC12 and the Big12.

No they don't... The PAC12 and Big12 are still looking to expand and they already pay their schools more than the ACC. I said earlier, if the ACC ****es off enough schools, there will be 8 schools who can leave and make more money elsewhere. Maybe not the B1G and the SEC but even the PAC12 and the Big12.
again, 8 have to leave for the GOR to go away. that means 8 have to come up w at least 300+ miill to say goodbye. the money to leave is the issue. 16 could want to leave lol, but doesn't mean 16 can leave. if one school comes up w the money to get out of the deal, id be shocked.

Advertisement
Back