MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
If FSU perceived value is at 15%, then Miami is gotta be at least 20 to 25% based off of share ratings average or whatever metric they’re looking at forget about local market even

I think u’re grossly overrating us.

I think u’re grossly overrating us.

Im not actually because it’s not a backwards look only thing and context and Market matter. I understand why you’re saying that based on those but it’s like a little data is dangerous sometimes. It would be more relevant if you expected Miami to neglect the program going forward. But it’s not just backward- if it was the pac 12 wouldn’t be as ****ed as they are

Oh yeah I actually do this stuff for a living too… 🤷‍♂️

Their AD said it’d be about a $120M exit from the ACC? That sounds cheap lol. We should do that today if it is that low. Less than 4yr payoff time

Im not actually because it’s not a backwards look only thing and context and Market matter. I understand why you’re saying that based on those but it’s like a little data is dangerous sometimes. It would be more relevant if you expected Miami to neglect the program going forward. But it’s not just backward- if it was the pac 12 wouldn’t be as ****ed as they are

Oh yeah I actually do this stuff for a living too… 🤷‍♂️

I’m not understanding the rebuttal. Miami’s games are often on out of market networks, & it’s been that way for a while. Therefore the viewership is handicapped. Miami is not close to being in the top 10 in media markets. So if I can find FSU more often on my TV whether that’s ESPN, ESPNU, ACC Network & I have to hang on a roof, holding an antenna pointing South just to catch a Miami game, how is Miami at a 20-25% shared eating clip?

Advertisement
Their AD said it’d be about a $120M exit from the ACC? That sounds cheap lol. We should do that today if it is that low. Less than 4yr payoff time
The problem is not those 120 million but the fact that even if a school would leave the conference the ACC still has control of its TV rights until 2036.

This is why, as of now, it‘s VERY unlikely that someone will leave the ACC.

I wonder why FSU is the only ACC school routinely making noise about their options for leaving. The other schools have to be unhappy too, but they are keeping quiet.

Last edited:
I wonder why FSU is the only ACC school routinely making noise about their options for leaving. The other schools have to be unhappy too, but they are keeping quiet.
Which is interesting since the big schools that did leave, you didn’t hear a peep about it until the news dropped (USC, UCLA, OU, UT). Seems like silence may be the better way to go about it. I can only imagine the NDAs the conferences and schools are signing when going through these deals. All of which is to say it sounds like either the SEC/Big 10 are legitimately hitting freeze or some teams are in negotiations, but FSU is not.

Advertisement
I’m not understanding the rebuttal. Miami’s games are often on out of market networks, & it’s been that way for a while. Therefore the viewership is handicapped. Miami is not close to being in the top 10 in media markets. So if I can find FSU more often on my TV whether that’s ESPN, ESPNU, ACC Network & I have to hang on a roof, holding an antenna pointing South just to catch a Miami game, how is Miami at a 20-25% shared eating clip?

Are you saying my pirated stream from Australia through Bangkok doesn’t count in the ratings?

****ers

The problem is not those 120 million but the fact that even if a school would leave the conference the ACC still has control of its TV rights until 2036.

This is why, as of now, it‘s VERY unlikely that someone will leave the ACC.

I’d expect that to be settled or brought to court. Cause realistically if the ACC is only giving us say $30M for our Media rights distribution, why would they be entitled to $70M distribution that the SEC pays?…

Advertisement
The only solution to getting OUT of the contract and long term ****** deal the ACC signed, is to have 8 schools leaving at the same time. Then...you have more leverage than you ever did and can block votes, block distribution, bring up unequal distribution of funds and basically ***** the little one's from getting anywhere during the scramble. 4 teams are leaving for the SEC. 2-4 other for the BIG and likely smaller conferences, or less powerful monetarily.

That gives you have the votes to negate paying the buyout, theoretically.

Advertisement
I’d expect that to be settled or brought to court. Cause realistically if the ACC is only giving us say $30M for our Media rights distribution, why would they be entitled to $70M distribution that the SEC pays?…
They had lawyers working to find a way for over a year and nothing has come out of it for now, maybe it will be settled but not 13/10 years away from the deadline.

The only thing that could force ESPN and ACC to reopen that deal is a new member big enough to move the needle for everyone (Notre Dame).

Good luck with that.

Exactly.

This is the same leadership that allowed Notre Dame to have a full conference share during COVID to be able to play in the championship game, but failed to negotiate for any of Notre Dames TV revenue in the deal. Quite the “gesture”
And didn’t force them to join when they had the upper hand.

Their first massive miscalculation was prioritizing basketball over football, failing to see where the money sits.

And didn’t force them to join when they had the upper hand.

Their first massive miscalculation was prioritizing basketball over football, failing to see where the money sits.
Thinking that the ACC hoops brand is “special “ has been shown to be unrealistic this season. UVa and Miami are the two top teams in conference and will likely get 4 seeds in the tournament.

I cannot understand why the ACC would sign such a long term deal with ESPN.
Because at the time everyone thought you need a cable network to make more money as a conference. Starting that up takes a lot of time and money so ESPN said if you want your own channel like B1G and SEC this is what it will take. The ACC gave it all away for ACCN

Advertisement
Back