MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

At this point, the ACC will not be a major conference. You absolutely need to be part of the top 2 conferences in the BIG or SEC. Any other conference you will be deemed as being left behind and irrelevant. Future of CFB will be BIG/SEC then every other peasant conference.
Agreed.

I still predict FSU, Clemson, NC state, and VT to the SEC and Miami, UNC, Virginia, and Boston College to the Big 10.

Advertisement
If this is purely a binary, there is zero advantage to the BIG over the SEC for Miami. Absolutely none.

B1G giving members access to $10+ billion in research grants isn't an advantage?

And if looking at sports only - B1G will essentially be a national conference. SEC will remain geographically in the south. UM is a national brand. I think it could be worth more in NIL opportunities and merchandising to be in the national footprint.

And I tend to agree with the poster who said the SEC would only be interested in UM to keep the B1G out of Florida . That's our value to them. We'd be the SECs c0ckblock. B1G on the other hand, may want to pump up UM to get more B1G coverage in the big Fl media markets.

Last edited:
B1G giving members access to $10+ billion in research grants isn't an advantage?

And if looking at sports only - B1G will essentially be a national conference. SEC will remain geographically in the south. UM is a national brand. I think it could be worth more in NIL opportunities and merchandising to be in the national footprint.
To the point about resesrch grants, by what figure would joining that conference increase grants to the school? That's what matters. That cumulative number has no context. Also, It's nice for the university at-large, but does little for the athletic program itself.

BIG might be worth more for TV, especially initially (which is important).

Not buying the part about our players benefitting more from NIL or merchandising in that league vs. SEC.

Acc teams can't afford to leave with the Grant of Rights enforceable and in place.

I was asking NotSince1985 in regards to his post for clarification purposes. Not so much making a statement. I'm aware of our road blocks. I'm assuming much like OU and Texas those GOR's can be negotiated as part of a buyout and made up with future earnings with either the BIG or SEC. That's what OU and Texas did to get to the SEC in 2024.

To the point about resesrch grants, by what figure would joining that conference increase grants to the school? That's what matters. That cumulative number has no context. Also, It's nice for the university at-large, but does little for the athletic program itself.

BIG might be worth more for TV, especially initially (which is important).

Not buying the part about our players benefitting more from NIL or merchandising in that league vs. SEC.

More at stake than just athletics. As for the grants, as I understand it, it's a 10+ billion pot of money that only B1G schools can access. There is no cap on how much an individual school can get. Researchers write grant proposals and a committee approves. Could apply for a billion in grants or 100 million. Point is the competition for that money is a handful of other B1G schools. If applying for federal research money like most other schools have to, UM is competing against hundreds of schools for relatively small amounts of cash. There exists a potential for orders of magnitude more $$$ for research grants if in the B1G.

Advertisement
I was asking NotSince1985 in regards to his post for clarification purposes. Not so much making a statement. I'm aware of our road blocks. I'm assuming much like OU and Texas those GOR's can be negotiated as part of a buyout and made up with future earnings with either the BIG or SEC. That's what OU and Texas did to get to the SEC in 2024.
I think this is different than the big 12, because it includes future revenue from the new conference. You would need the ACC to disband first.

I'm skeptical that congress, or the football public, will allow so many big schools to be in the minor leagues. Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered ...

More at stake than just athletics. As for the grants, as I understand it, it's a 10+ billion pot of money that only B1G schools can access. There is no cap on how much an individual school can get. Researchers write grant proposals and a committee approves. Could apply for a billion in grants or 100 million. Point is the competition for that money is a handful of other B1G schools. If applying for federal research money like most other schools have to, UM is competing against hundreds of schools for relatively small amounts of cash. There exists a potential for orders of magnitude more $$$ for research grants if in the B1G.
If all of that is true, it's nice for the school. No debating that.

Advertisement

And where did this $10B come from?

The playoff expanding to 12 teams changes the equation. Playoff access is no longer an issue. There is no incentive for the SEC or the B1G to expand any further. They’re printing money as it is, and with a 12 team playoff, both conferences will send several teams a year to the postseason for even more money.

The more likely scenario is the three conferences left consolidate to two conferences. The PAC 12 will merge with the ACC if I were betting.

Advertisement
The playoff expanding to 12 teams changes the equation. Playoff access is no longer an issue. There is no incentive for the SEC or the B1G to expand any further. They’re printing money as it is, and with a 12 team playoff, both conferences will send several teams a year to the postseason for even more money.

The more likely scenario is the three conferences left consolidate to two conferences. The PAC 12 will merge with the ACC if I were betting.
IF we got to a situation Like I said where it's basically the B10+SEC as the top dawgs with 20-24 programs each, then they could LITERALLY haver their own NFL type playoff. B10 has their top 5 teams, and the SEC has their 5 teams. and you give the National B12 That added a bunch of Pac/Acc schools 2.
CFPRealignedPlayoff.png

Tony Altimore was on Mark Rogers show a couple weeks ago breaking all this down from every angle. Worth a watch.

Nice to see someone who knows a little, having us in the mix for both the SEC and Big10. Just win and we’ll be fine.

Advertisement

This is exactly why realignment stopped. For now.

ACC was literally saved by the PO expansion and it’s mind-blowing the fact that Jim Phillips voted against it the first time.

Reasonable bet, doubt that Miami brings much to the SEC or Big table..

Reasonable bet, doubt that Miami brings much to the SEC or Big table..

If this was the Miami of 2003, both the SEC and Big10 would be dying for Miami. Access to South Florida for players and the TV market, combined with adding a top 5 program would be too hard to give up. Obviously swap top 5 for top 40, and that's where we are today. We have made the investment though to move that needle sharply over the next few years.

If this was the Miami of 2003, both the SEC and Big10 would be dying for Miami. Access to South Florida for players and the TV market, combined with adding a top 5 program would be too hard to give up. Obviously swap top 5 for top 40, and that's where we are today. We have made the investment though to move that needle sharply over the next few years.

I just don't get the math on why the SEC or Big10 would want to add anymore teams. The main reason that leagues are looking to add teams is money from TV expansion, right? If you look at the Big10 deal, supposedly each team will be getting ~$90-100M per year in the somewhat near future so if you are adding a team, that team needs to add at least enough money to the TV deal to keep the payouts per team the same and ideally they would bring in more than that to give everyone additional revenue.

So let's say that adding Miami to the Big10 increased the contract by $120M, even that is only going to bump each team's revenue by ~$2M per year when splitting the $30M ($90M would need to go to Miami) amongst the other teams.

Now there are some other advantages to adding a team like Miami such as having games in Florida and I am sure that counts for something, but we all know cash is king. Is adding Miami (and likely at least one other team) going to be enough to increase the TV contract enough to cover the revenue share for the new team(s) and add enough additional value for the other teams to make it worth their while?

I hope that I am just underestimating the amount of revenue that teams like Miami would add to the Big10 or SEC's TV contracts 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back