MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

This is the ONLY case to be made, with the additional fact that joining the BIG does nothing to aid our recruiting. There is no case for that conference over the SEC for Miami athletics. A vocal minority of our fans are stuck on it for reasons that I can't entirely wrap my head around.
The obvious case being if the SEC wants us. If not, then you absolutely go with B1G. Also consider a large portion of our alumni base is in B1G cities like DC, NYC, LA, etc compared to small SEC territory.

Advertisement
My idea is unique:

Go SEC for football, stay ACC for Basketball, SEC for baseball, SunBelt for all else plus women's sports and we can add women's lacrosse and naked rugby.

I'm absolutely sure it will work, i did the math and....*checks notes*....carry the one....we'd wind up with $25 left over at the end of the year!

The obvious case being if the SEC wants us. If not, then you absolutely go with B1G. Also consider a large portion of our alumni base is in B1G cities like DC, NYC, LA, etc compared to small SEC territory.
It goes without saying that we'd need an actual offer, and I agree you take the best that is available.

As to the second part, even if one accepts this as true, I don't understand how this is an argument for a conference for your athletic program. This just sounds like a lot of our non-Florida fans trying to dissociate themselves from this region. That's no basis for deciding where to locate an athletics program.

We also have a grand total of 185,000-190,000 living alumni. There are more in Florida- by far- than any other state. Needless to say, our fanbase is overwhelmingly drawn from local people (read: Florida) who are not alums.

All I’m saying is that it’s not like a 3 to 4 hour flight puts that much more strain on the body than a 2 hour flight. We’re not talking about flying 6-8 hours with a few layovers to the west coast, across multiple time zones,

I understand UM complained about it quite a bit when we were in the big east. But times were much different then—Particularly financially.

When you’re scraping for pennies in a crappy conference, of course you’re going to complain about having to pay thousands of dollars more for each flight.

But a move to the B10 would surely allow us to absorb any extra cost.

All this is to say, I still think you’re overplaying the issue of distance.

If we take that out of the equation, it’s really just a matter of personal preference.

I respect your opinion, but I also mentioned the amount of time cramped on an airplane has on athletes. It puts them at a competitive disadvantage. It's cumulative across a long season as well. I'm not making this up, I'm recalling the issues we had in the Big East. Travel is stressful on the body (cramped space, air pressure, dehydration from low humidity), especially for a oversized athlete who will need to perform at their physical peak shortly after arriving.

The miles add up.

As for personal non-logical preference, if all things were equal (obviously they aren't) mine would actually be the B1G. I identify more with those schools and have many more friends who went to their member universities.

But I am trying my best to be intellectually honest and because of travel, recruiting (HUGE), and just the weird fit of being so far removed from the conference, IMO the SEC is the better solution for UM. And let's not forget that USC, UCLA, and potentially a couple of more Pac-12 (10?) schools will be in the B1G. So yeah, we are actually talking about something like at least an annual trip from Miami to CA to play a football game, and certainly multiple for most other sports. I remember seeing UM play @UCLA and @WASH and the travel and time zones took its toll. Per the admin, coaches and players.

Anyway, let's see what options we even end up with.

Last edited:
If I recall from the articles in the press, UCLA and USC wouldn't be annual opponents for anyone in particular. Other than each other obviously.

B1G is moving to a POD system? Do I have that right?

Advertisement
I dont want to go to the SEC. Been said it. Give me big and im good. SEC doesnt want BIG in FL, SEC already here. They would take us to stop BIG expansion here not as a means to treat us fairly.

I get what you're saying, but in what lifetime would Miami be treated "fairly" in a conference with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State (and likely at some point Notre Dame)?

It goes without saying that we'd need an actual offer, and I agree you take the best that is available.

As to the second part, even if one accepts this as true, I don't understand how this is an argument for a conference for your athletic program. This just sounds like a lot of our non-Florida fans trying to dissociate themselves from this region. That's no basis for deciding where to locate an athletics program.

We also have a grand total of 185,000-190,000 living alumni. There are more in Florida- by far- than any other state. Needless to say, our fanbase is overwhelmingly drawn from local people (read: Florida) who are not alums.
Not going to derail the thread and get pulled into a fight, but you do realize that a huge percentage—something like 60-65% if I remember correctly—of our student population (and thus alumni base) hail from out of state? A lot go back to their home region after graduation. That's not at all to say you don't cater to local base, but to say it's not a factor is simply not true.

For example, people in Florida would easily drive to Gainesville, but once you start talking getting to the bigger footprint of the SEC, pretty much everything from SFL is a flight or a really long drive. SFL fans would have to take a flight regardless, so why not cater to those OOS alumni bases at the same time? Also, it's often easier for fans—regardless of location—to fly into DC, NYC, LA, Columbus, Minneapolis, etc than, say, Starksville, MS.

I don't disagree SEC would be great from competition, rivalry, and recruiting reasons. If you could get Miami/FSU/UF in a division/pod/whatever, that would be awesome. But there is a lot to be said about potentially being a really good fit in the B1G for on and off field reasons. If they were to pull Miami and ND, now you can get Miami regularly playing ND, USC, Penn St.

Either is a win for me. Just get us out of the ACC. I think we can all agree on that.

Advertisement
Not going to derail the thread and get pulled into a fight, but you do realize that a huge percentage—something like 60-65% if I remember correctly—of our student population (and thus alumni base) hail from out of state? A lot go back to their home region after graduation. That's not at all to say you don't cater to local base, but to say it's not a factor is simply not true.

For example, people in Florida would easily drive to Gainesville, but once you start talking getting to the bigger footprint of the SEC, pretty much everything from SFL is a flight or a really long drive. SFL fans would have to take a flight regardless, so why not cater to those OOS alumni bases at the same time? Also, it's often easier for fans—regardless of location—to fly into DC, NYC, LA, Columbus, Minneapolis, etc than, say, Starksville, MS.

I don't disagree SEC would be great from competition, rivalry, and recruiting reasons. If you could get Miami/FSU/UF in a division/pod/whatever, that would be awesome. But there is a lot to be said about potentially being a really good fit in the B1G for on and off field reasons. If they were to pull Miami and ND, now you can get Miami regularly playing ND, USC, Penn St.

Either is a win for me. Just get us out of the ACC. I think we can all agree on that.
We agree more than we disagree. The most important thing is to be in a position of preparedness and strength as this is all sorted out.

Thats It Dule Hill GIF by PeacockTV

Last year, insiders on the board were pretty adamant that UM/Cristobal/Rad want to be in the SEC. Maybe they’re using the B1G for leverage?

Last year, insiders on the board were pretty adamant that UM/Cristobal/Rad want to be in the SEC. Maybe they’re using the B1G for leverage?
It would be uttlerly irresponsible for Miami to not pick up the phone and speak to both conferences. Doesn't hurt to use the other conference as leverage. SEC would be stupid to allow Miami go to the Big 10 and get in their terrirtory. Miami is about to turn up.

Advertisement
It would be uttlerly irresponsible for Miami to not pick up the phone and speak to both conferences. Doesn't hurt to use the other conference as leverage. SEC would be stupid to allow Miami go to the Big 10 and get in their terrirtory.

I mentioned this same thing earlier in this thread. Hopefully there's discussions still going on. Just seems like conference realignments have settled down for now with Big 10 getting a new person in charge that is not as pro expansion. SEC is getting OU and Texas early. We are in a outright ****** deal with ESPN and the ACC. Something needs to happen as we are losing ground every year to those teams.

It would be uttlerly irresponsible for Miami to not pick up the phone and speak to both conferences. Doesn't hurt to use the other conference as leverage. SEC would be stupid to allow Miami go to the Big 10 and get in their terrirtory. Miami is about to turn up.
Any legs to the ND to ACC discussion? Feels like that could potentially be a reason for us to stay in the ACC unless FSU and Clemson truly do go.

Any legs to the ND to ACC discussion? Feels like that could potentially be a reason for us to stay in the ACC unless FSU and Clemson truly do go.
I seriously doubt ND is even flirting with the ACC. That being said, i doubt they could save the ACC. ACC is done and deserve to rot because morons ran this conference into the ground.

Advertisement
At this point, the ACC will not be a major conference. You absolutely need to be part of the top 2 conferences in the BIG or SEC. Any other conference you will be deemed as being left behind and irrelevant. Future of CFB will be BIG/SEC then every other peasant conference.

Advertisement
Back