MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Give me the B1G solely for road games close to my house.
It makes sense. I feel like I looked up the student home state distribution a few years back and there were 7 or 8 states in other regions before the next south east state (Georgia). Like close to 30% from New York/New Jersey/Conn/Mass, if it still holds.

Advertisement
I definitely prefer the SEC for the opponents and venues we would be playing. Better geographical fit. Bu if that's the move I fully plan on accepting the fact that Miami never wins anything in football again. That will be an absolute blood bath of a schedule.
Agree, especially after seeing two big ten teams make the playoff. If playing for a title is the goal above regions and rivalries, I think the road is a little easier in the B1G.

Agree, especially after seeing two big ten teams make the playoff. If playing for a title is the goal above regions and rivalries, I think the road is a little easier in the B1G.
Yep. Although Ohio State did play Georgia really tough with the same formula Miami would probably have to use to compete... skill at WR and elite QB play.

Mario's OL background makes it interesting and makes me 2nd guess saying we can't compete in the SEC.. because OL may be a strength here and we may recruit big enough to hold up and pair some skill talent and QB play.

I definitely prefer the SEC for the opponents and venues we would be playing. Better geographical fit. Bu if that's the move I fully plan on accepting the fact that Miami never wins anything in football again. That will be an absolute blood bath of a schedule.

It will be a bloodbath for the whole conference, though. We will make a ton of $ and recruit better and continue to support the program at an SEC level. And the SEC is going to control the CFB purse strings, and SEC schools that make the 12 (for now) CFP will be battle tested and ready to rock.

Not scared. LFG.

Advertisement
It will be a bloodbath for the whole conference, though. We will make a ton of $ and recruit better and continue to support the program at an SEC level. And the SEC is going to control the CFB purse strings, and SEC schools that make the 12 (for now) CFP will be battle tested and ready to rock.

Not scared. LFG.
If we can’t compete after the admin has fully backed the program and moving to a conference like the SEC, well then shut her down. We can and 100% would compete.

What’s your reason(s) for thinking we’d have less of a chance to succeed in football in the B1G vs SEC?
Edit: maybe I misread it and you’re saying SEC means no titles?

How is that any different than joining SEC in terms of schedule (not travel)

Advertisement
What’s your reason(s) for thinking we’d have less of a chance to succeed in football in the B1G vs SEC?
Edit: maybe I misread it and you’re saying SEC means no titles?
Meant if we join the SEC

At least until Saban is retired. Also not really factoring what kind of recruiting bump we could get being SEC. Idk.. I’m still stuck in old Miami until I see on field change

Advertisement
Interesting but if I was apple I would just approach the top 20 teams in the biggest markets for eyeballs and set up a Super League and payoff the exit costs for these teams to get out. Apple has such a mind boggling amount of money and this would be a seismic change to compete with global soccer’s model of UEFA championships.

Big 10 me. At worst we are the fourth biggest brand in the conference behind Ohio state, Michigan, and USC. Just easier path to the top there

In the SEC a case could be made that Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, and as painful as it may seem Florida have bigger brands in 2023 than Miami. Not saying it’s true, but a reasonable case could be made.

Miami will hold a bigger presence with their brand in the big 10

I was on Team B1G at first, particularly for the academics and like-minded universities (to some extent) but I just can't get over the geography of it all.

We really want to play a cold weather midwest schedule in football, where the majority of our road games are 1000+ miles away?

I randomly picked Maryland as an example. This year their B1G road schedule is (with flying distance from Miami):

@Michigan State (1195 miles)
@Ohio State (992 miles)
@Northwestern (1189 miles)
@nebraska (1405 miles)
@Rutgers (1068 miles)

Blech, and brrrrrr. And add 30-50%~ more miles if you're driving.

Same for basketball, we'd be at a decided disadvantage where we'd travel like 5x farther each season than the other conference members. Wears ya down.

We want baseball to be in the B1G? What in the heavenly ****. Not even going there.

And lord, how in the **** are the girls and other sports going to deal? 1000 mile flights for the volleyball team?

The travel burdens will add up, IMO.

The SEC makes a lot more sense to me. You want to play where you recruit, and the SEC footprint is where the most top talent in the country is, and it's close to us. A lot of recruits and their families want to be able to get to road games, etc. Not to mention the SEC teams wouldn't be able to recruit against us with "SEC! SEC!" nonsense.

If the SEC is able to add say, Miami and UNC to start, it elevates its academic reputation somewhat. Vandy, UNC, Miami, UF, UGA, and TAMU is a formidable top tier.

Advertisement
Back