MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Very. Just wonder if NBC would make the deal. I would imagine this is hold up for further realignment.
It's definitely the deciding factor in whether ND finally joins a conference. The basic math is very clear to even those tea-sips. If they can't get a deal like that and the B1G/SEC is paying out $100 mil a year, that's too much money to leave on the table. Even at $50 mil a year, ND would lose half a billion dollars over the course of a decade if they stay solo. Money talks.

Makes zero sense if the "shoulder programming" is just Big 12 football as the conference is currently constituted.

Thankfully, I don't see the B1G running to NBC to take a deal so the network can enable these Irish clowns to remain independent.

I also don't see a Playoff of 12 teams or less in the future that would continue to cater to them in any meaningful way if they remain independent.

If you're a super conference of say at or around 20 teams, are you comfortable sacrificing one of your 4-6 playoff spots and the associated money for these jerkoffs?

Advertisement
Makes zero sense if the "shoulder programming" is just Big 12 football as the conference is currently constituted.

Thankfully, I don't see the B1G running to NBC to take a deal so the network can enable these Irish clowns to remain independent.

I also don't see a Playoff of 12 teams or less in the future that would continue to cater to them in any meaningful way if they remain independent.

If you're a super conference of say at or around 20 teams, are you comfortable sacrificing one of your 4-6 playoff spots and the associated money for these jerkoffs?
Bingo.

Bet good money the B1G and SEC would freeze out the Leprechauns, schedule-wise, if they cut this deal with NBC in order to maintain their "independence" and pick and choose their schedule.

The ACC's best programs ain't hanging around for this either ... ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 6.22.35 PM.png

This dude has been money on the B1G expansion stuff

Canes, Clemson and the Holes ain't going for this kind of arrangement -- no way, no how.

Advertisement
So ND stays Independent. What will ACC try now?
My gut feeling is they're too stupid to even try to be proactive and do anything more than some feckless "alliance" or "partnership".

They'll only come to the realization that you either try to build your own third super-conference right now or you die too late after they can't even attempt to throw a Hail Mary. This will be after Notre Dame joins a conference and/or we flee with Clemson and a possibly a few others. It'll be as pathetic as the Big East trying to stay relevant in football after we left.

Congratulations Senator

Dennis Dodd needs an editor.

"Well Double D, I know we're SECbs Sports but you kinda went a little mongoloid here. Our readers won't comprehend whatever extra chromosome cuteness you were attempting by saying that in 2025 the SEC will be the greatest collection of brands in the history of organized football...errr....with the B1G right behind them....errrr....maybe right with em....errrr I'm having a bad reaction to my disbeetus meds...errrr!!!"

Screenshot_20220719-000547_Samsung Internet.jpg

Advertisement

Does NBC or any network for that matter take that risk? By that I mean, what if ND takes a precipitous drop over the next 5 years? Imagine they go back to the Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis years of mediocre football more often than not? Imagine paying $75 million a year for such a product?

At least when going in with a conference, you have a really good shot of having 1, 2, or even 3 top 15 schools to take up the slack for the stinky teams at the bottom of the standings. Plus, you get 10 games on average for each conference member (only OOC away games are held on other networks) vs. only 7 ND home games.

It will be interesting to see what ND's move would be if they don't get $75 million from a TV network. To me, that would indicate they would accept roughly $85 million in total TV revenue (their ACC annual portion is roughly $10 - $11 million). If that is the case, could the ACC get to a payout of $90 million per year with ND and a 16th team added to renegotiate the TV deal? Would this be enough to keep all of the ACC together? Doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

For ND to get $75M - just for football- that would imply to a conference they'd be worth like $120M just off the fact they'd get an additionally 4 games worth of value, plus then your at the non football sports which are worth like $14m/yr in acc payout. So you're definitely looking at ND saying they are worth $140M/yr essentially.

Advertisement
Does NBC or any network for that matter take that risk? By that I mean, what if ND takes a precipitous drop over the next 5 years? Imagine they go back to the Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis years of mediocre football more often than not? Imagine paying $75 million a year for such a product?

At least when going in with a conference, you have a really good shot of having 1, 2, or even 3 top 15 schools to take up the slack for the stinky teams at the bottom of the standings. Plus, you get 10 games on average for each conference member (only OOC away games are held on other networks) vs. only 7 ND home games.

It will be interesting to see what ND's move would be if they don't get $75 million from a TV network. To me, that would indicate they would accept roughly $85 million in total TV revenue (their ACC annual portion is roughly $10 - $11 million). If that is the case, could the ACC get to a payout of $90 million per year with ND and a 16th team added to renegotiate the TV deal? Would this be enough to keep all of the ACC together? Doubtful, but stranger things have happened.
With their fanbase, I’d be interested to see how much the viewership drops off when they’re not good. I’m thinking they’re pretty loyal but I don’t know plus there are other non-Domers who are fans of other teams vmwho might have tuned in when they were good but who don’t when they’re not good.

My gut feeling is they're too stupid to even try to be proactive and do anything more than some feckless "alliance" or "partnership".

They'll only come to the realization that you either try to build your own third super-conference right now or you die too late after they can't even attempt to throw a Hail Mary. This will be after Notre Dame joins a conference and/or we flee with Clemson and a possibly a few others. It'll be as pathetic as the Big East trying to stay relevant in football after we left.

Well, I believe I read on Twitter that a partnership between ACC & PAC-12 was off too. Guess we wait & see who tries to pull a move first.

A

Agreed. ACC should be on red alert. Essentially, what's being said is the remaining teams in the Big 12 or Pac 12 have limited value. The only truly valuable teams left are in the ACC and ND. ACC needs to pull out all the stops, or they'll get raided.

Advertisement
Back