MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

These numbers aren't really right, because it depends how you define the areas. Miami-Dade is considerably bigger than Tampa and is easily the #1 media market in Florida, and the #1 media market in the entire Southeast.

Florida
rank
U.S.
rank
Metropolitan AreaPopulation
1​
8​
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach
2​
18​
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
3​
22​
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford
4​
39​
Jacksonville
5​
71​
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton
6​
78​
Cape Coral–Fort Myers
7​
81​
Lakeland–Winter Haven
8​
90​
Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach
9​
96​
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville
10​
110​
Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent
11​
115​
Fort Pierce-Port St. Lucie
12​
144​
Tallahassee
There are SO MANY stats published you really need to read and interpret.
You are CORRECT regarding the DMA which is geographic area / population count ... the stats that I referenced WERE NIELSEN RATINGS WHICH IS MEDIA CONSUMPTION. TV families and subscribers etc. Tampa St Pete is the top MEDIA MARKET in the State and is #13 in the country while Miami / FTL is the #18 MEDIA MARKET.

Advertisement
Wrong .. your are confusing POPULATION with TV sets. The DMA statistics are established based on the actual number of TV sets in a given market.

Ok your point makes perfect sense, logically speaking. People in Miami don't own TV sets.

It can't be that what you linked had defined the Miami market incorrectly. That never happens.

As a conference the ACC isn’t on their “deathbed”. There are schools that are put in a tough position due to the GOR with ESPN. But as conference, there is a reason they not looking to break out. With that said, i cant see anyone getting voted in if the GOR cant get adjusted as stated previously here.
Make no mistake - if the conference is this far back in revenue agains the P2, they are on their deathbed

Advertisement
IMG_1055.png

I think Stanford is in Big10 eventually

Ok your point makes perfect sense, logically speaking. People in Miami don't own TV sets.

It can't be that what you linked had defined the Miami market incorrectly. That never happens.
READ WHAT I SAID BELOW smart ***. What I posted are NIELSEN RATINGS ... media consumption. Tampa St Pete is the TOP MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY at #13 nationally while Miami is #18. Nielsen ratings are based on MEDIA CONSUMPTION .... not just bodies and TV sets in the market. Top MEDIA MARKETS command higher dollar ad costs.

View attachment 249847
I think Stanford is in Big10 eventually
Would need a 6th left coast team to form a proper pod in a 24 team conference. Can't really see them forcing Nebraska or Iowa to be the 6th team there (could see making them both go though if they don't add any addl Pac- Zero teams but go to 24 overall). Maybe they go to 20 teams for now and it works in the interim?

READ WHAT I SAID BELOW smart ***. What I posted are NIELSEN RATINGS ... media consumption. Tampa St Pete is the TOP MEDIA MARKET IN THE COUNTRY at #13 nationally while Miami is #18. Nielsen ratings are based on MEDIA CONSUMPTION .... not just bodies and TV sets in the market. Top MEDIA MARKETS command higher dollar ad costs.

No it makes perfect sense, ace. Obviously 6 million people in Miami don't own TV sets, they all read newspapers and listen to radio shows. In fact, I'm going to take my horse and buggy down to the beach after work.

You're right and I was wrong. I just forgot that Miami Dade is mostly populated by the Amish, which clearly is a better explanation for the discrepancy between media consumption and population numbers than the one I offered - which is that there are a lot of ways to define where to draw the borders of "Miami"... if you're just looking at the city vs the county or the greater metro area. That would just be dumb. Obviously it's what you said.

Advertisement
No it makes perfect sense, ace. Obviously 6 million people in Miami don't own TV sets, they all read newspapers and listen to radio shows. In fact, I'm going to take my horse and buggy down to the beach after work.

You're right and I was wrong. I just forgot that Miami Dade is mostly populated by the Amish, which clearly is a better explanation for the discrepancy between media consumption and population numbers than the one I offered - which is that there are a lot of ways to define where to draw the borders of "Miami"... if you're just looking at the city vs the county or the greater metro area. That would just be dumb. Obviously it's what you said.
1691428975259.png

Advertisement
This last ditch effort to save the ACC won't work. THe only people interested are those that work for thACC who would be out of jobs. 7 teams are ready to leave and looking for that 8th vote. IT's gonna happen. The ACC is as dead as a doornail.
Couple thoughts...
- Could the 7 teams just pay an 8th to step up and collapse the Conference (buy their vote)????
- If ACC collapse is imminent, maybe the ACC and ESPN would rather negotiate a cheaper/quicker buyout, instead of long term litigation from 7 schools.

You DO know what NIELSEN ratings are correct? Those are the ratings that reflect the MEDIA MARKET VALUE OF A DMA. Those are the ratings I listed ... and they show the NIELSEN RATINGS of the DMA's as listed and the top NIELSEN RATED DMA in the state of Florida is the #13 rated Tampa St Pete market.
Orlando Daytona Beach is the #17 ranked NIELSEN RATED DMA and #18 is Miami Dade.

Advertisement

Fair enough, just trying to set the record straight. Nobody should devalue Miami in conference realignment talks. We have the biggest TV market in Florida by a big margin, and that's one of several things that makes Miami attractive to the P2. We have the biggest TV market in the ACC, only Georgia Tech could rival that.

And I understand it's about viewership and not media market size, but people need to remember that Miami is not Rutgers. Despite our best efforts over the past 20 years to **** away our brand, we still have a huge football brand. We're pulling nearly 4MM viewers per game right now. That's why our media market matters - if we start winning games again, that 4MM can rocket up even more because we have a natural fanbase we can tap in to - compared to say FSU which is maxed already out as far as how many fans they can add.

We have the great combination of having a high floor and probably the highest ceiling as far as upside value we can add to any conference.

Fair enough, just trying to set the record straight. Nobody should devalue Miami in conference realignment talks. We have the biggest TV market in Florida by a big margin, and that's one of several things that makes Miami attractive to the P2. We have the biggest TV market in the ACC, only Georgia Tech could rival that.

And I understand it's about viewership and not media market size, but people need to remember that Miami is not Rutgers. Despite our best efforts over the past 20 years to **** away our brand, we still have a huge football brand. We're pulling nearly 4MM viewers per game right now. That's why our media market matters - if we start winning games again, that 4MM can rocket up even more because we have a natural fanbase we can tap in to - compared to say FSU which is maxed already out as far as how many fans they can add.

We have the great combination of having a high floor and probably the highest ceiling as far as upside value we can add to any conference.
The logistical combinations are comparatively minor. The Empirical One summed it up here.

Advertisement
Back