MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Its not about TV market size. That was the old model.

The new model is how many viewers are you going to get for a game. Even our **** teams average just under 4M viewers for nationally broadcast games ... very close to FSU and Clemson. The 4M threshold is the magic number as that allows broadcasters to make big $.

This is why we are accretive to the B10 and why we (and FSU/Clemson/ND) would all get a full share right away and Oregon/Washington/etc are/would only be getting a partial share.
Miami winning this year could prove pivotal.

Advertisement
Adding those 4 schools would make it much harder to dissolve the ACC. Ain’t no way this will make people happy, because there isn’t going to be a commensurate boatload of money.

Agreed but Miami isn't just forking over $420M over 10 years. There would be lawsuits and a negotiated amount significantly less than that.
Realistically you need to NEGOTIATE the GOR buyout as part of the exit strategy. You can't pull the trigger without having the number and the ability to cover it. Plus ... no new conference will take you unless you can show that they have media rights.

Its not about TV market size. That was the old model.

The new model is how many viewers are you going to get for a game. Even our **** teams average just under 4M viewers for nationally broadcast games ... very close to FSU and Clemson. The 4M threshold is the magic number as that allows broadcasters to make big $.

This is why we are accretive to the B10 and why we (and FSU/Clemson/ND) would all get a full share right away and Oregon/Washington/etc are/would only be getting a partial share.
Thank you for the Data. I prefer to use Data when feasible so thats why i posted tv market but the other poster said its about “college football tv market” but he didnt provide any data that tells us how Miami fares. He keeps saying “realistically” but realistically is Miami is NOT going to the Big 12

Adding those 4 schools would make it much harder to dissolve the ACC. Ain’t no way this will make people happy, because there isn’t going to be a commensurate boatload of money.
Leave it to the ACC to entertain a notion that would ONLY benefit those in the equation with ZERO leverage- the 4 Pac Zero schools. It's almost like this is being looked at with the eyes of a basketball conference being controlled by clowns that have no business making the calls.

Advertisement
Atlanta is a college football market and they follow Georgia not Ga Tech. Miami is definitely NOT leaving the ACC, paying $120M exit fee and a negotiated GOR settlement, to go to the B12 which barely makes more money than the ACC. Makes 0 sense. Only way Miami ends up in the B12 is if the ACC disbands with 0 exit cost and no GOR cost and the B10 / SEC are purely NOT taking new programs. Miami will not be in the B12.
Having lived and worked in ATL for nearly 7 years, I can confirm this view. ATL is more a college football town, than a pro town. The hierarchy of teams is as follows:

Georgia
Alabama
GT
Clemson
Tennessee

GT is a distant third, BTW.

Last edited:
This last ditch effort to save the ACC won't work. THe only people interested are those that work for thACC who would be out of jobs. 7 teams are ready to leave and looking for that 8th vote. IT's gonna happen. The ACC is as dead as a doornail.

You need a 75% vote of ACC members to add a new member. 15 voting members so to get 75% you need 12 votes to add. Four dissenting teams are sufficient to prevent the addition:

Dissenting votes:
-FSU
-Clemson
-Miami
-ND

Agreed but Miami isn't just forking over $420M over 10 years. There would be lawsuits and a negotiated amount significantly less than that.
You have stated this twice now, where in the **** are you getting this $420 mil figure?

Advertisement
You have stated this twice now, where in the **** are you getting this $420 mil figure?
He is referencing:
1). The $120M ACC conference exit fee as it currently stands.
2). THEORETICAL negotiated GOR buyback from ACC/ESPN for $300M paid over 10 years.

I would say close to zero chance UM and that crew votes to let Oregon State and Wash State into the ACC. It would not increase pro-rate revenue. Stanford and Cal, have a geography problem and other issues as well.

Advertisement
State of Florida Designated Market Areas (DMA's) that made the top 50 nationally:

#13 Tampa / St. Pete
#17 Orlando / Daytona Beach
#18 Miami / Fort Lauderdale
#39 West Palm Beach
#43 Jacksonville

These numbers aren't really right, because it depends how you define the areas. Miami-Dade is considerably bigger than Tampa and is easily the #1 media market in Florida, and the #1 media market in the entire Southeast.

Florida
rank
U.S.
rank
Metropolitan AreaPopulation
1​
8​
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach
2​
18​
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
3​
22​
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford
4​
39​
Jacksonville
5​
71​
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton
6​
78​
Cape Coral–Fort Myers
7​
81​
Lakeland–Winter Haven
8​
90​
Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach
9​
96​
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville
10​
110​
Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent
11​
115​
Fort Pierce-Port St. Lucie
12​
144​
Tallahassee

He is referencing:
1). The $120M ACC conference exit fee as it currently stands.
2). THEORETICAL negotiated GOR buyback from ACC/ESPN for $300M paid over 10 years.
Gotcha thank you. Though I don’t think this is coming from the guys on here who we know have actual insight and legit intel on this matter if I am correct? Hard to sometimes keep up with all the BS, and all the guys here who want crap on those providing what intel they have due to some inferiority complex not to mention the doom and gloom patrol who just want to be able to say “I told you thusly”

Advertisement
Gotcha thank you. Though I don’t think this is coming from the guys on here who we know have actual insight and legit intel on this matter if I am correct? Hard to sometimes keep up with all the BS, and all the guys here who want crap on those providing what intel they have due to some inferiority complex not to mention the doom and gloom patrol who just want to be able to say “I told you thusly”
This is all 100% pure speculation regarding the 'theoretical $300M GOR buyback". The $120M exit fee is the actual number.

These numbers aren't really right, because it depends how you define the areas. Miami-Dade is considerably bigger than Tampa and is easily the #1 media market in Florida, and the #1 media market in the entire Southeast.

Florida
rank
U.S.
rank
Metropolitan AreaPopulation
1​
8​
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach
2​
18​
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
3​
22​
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford
4​
39​
Jacksonville
5​
71​
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton
6​
78​
Cape Coral–Fort Myers
7​
81​
Lakeland–Winter Haven
8​
90​
Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach
9​
96​
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville
10​
110​
Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent
11​
115​
Fort Pierce-Port St. Lucie
12​
144​
Tallahassee
Wrong .. your are confusing POPULATION with TV sets. The DMA statistics are established based on the actual number of TV sets in a given market.

If you’re on your deathbed as a conference due to revenue, the right thing to do is bring in 4 more entities that no one gives AF about and are some of the leading institutions for unionizing athletes. It’s a stroke of genius to be sure
As a conference the ACC isn’t on their “deathbed”. There are schools that are put in a tough position due to the GOR with ESPN. But as conference, there is a reason they not looking to break out. With that said, i cant see anyone getting voted in if the GOR cant get adjusted as stated previously here.

Advertisement
Back