MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

It’s a close call between the program being dead on the hill with @calinative umstudent or in the BIG with the @TheOriginalCane😎
1686001817211.gif

Advertisement
First of all, I don't know if it's a typo on your part, but I wasn't talking about R&D EXPENDITURES by schools, I was talking about REVENUE. Perhaps it was inadvertent on your part, but it could make a big difference in trying to conpare apples to apples.

Second, Nebraska is an ag school, which is what cost them their AAU membership anyhow. So if you want an honest answer, you have to look at what "nationwide" increased by 21%, compared to what happened at Nebraska. If, say, agricultural research declined while, say, biomedical research accounted for the nationwide increase, then you have your answer. I'm not as familiar with Rutgers and their research budget, but keep in mind that Rutgers was an AAU member since 1989. What I was talking about with Miami is that we could potentially get AAU membership and Big 10 membership in quick succession, which will have a big impact on what types of research projects we might become associated with.

Third, again, it is not a straight comparison to look at joining the Big 10 as an automatic bump of X amount for every institution that joins. I was specifically talking about Miami joining, of which UM has a significant percentage of its total student body associated with graduate-level programs. As a person who was both an undergrad and grad at Miami, I know that we have fluctuated on our undergrad size (pre-Foote, Foote era, and now the gradual re-growth of the undergrad numbers), but we have always had very substantial graduate programs, which are very OUT-sized when compared to our undergrad size. And with so much in science and biomedical research dollars, the impact to UM could be similarly outsized.

If you think Miami is like Nebraska, that's up to you, I can't tell you otherwise. But I know for a fact that there are many in the UM academic community who view both AAU and Big 10 membership as developments that will have a very large impact on our bottom line, far bigger than the TV contract will.
As far as revenue vs expenditure goes, I think we're talking about the same thing? The table I was sourcing "Federally financed higher education R&D expenditures" indicates federal $s spent on research by institution. Research itself is non-revenue generating, so I assume you mean dollar value of research grants issued? I guess this doesn't tell us exactly how much $ is issued in grants by year, but I think amount spent basically tells us the same thing. I wasn't able to find any readily available source on grants issued.

Looking a little deeper, Nebraska is weird, only about 25% of their federal $s are tied to ag, but overall federal ag research increased 5% in that same time period. I guess we can attribute their decline to exiting the AAU, but Rutgers has a similar research profile to us - heavy in biomedical sciences. So who knows the reason for the decline.

Yes, AAU is definitely huge for research, my questions were mainly related to impact of B1G/athletic conference. I get what you're saying, that joining B1G is not an automatic bump, but that seems to be how some make it seem.

Yes, obviously UM is far different from Nebraska lol. Just pointing out the impact joining the B1G on those two member institutions.

You would prefer the SEC, right? Any insights there about impacting research $s vs B1G?

Except...

This isn't what really happened.

The "makeup of the student body" was just a cover story.

The SEC came to Miami and gave us 48 hours to make a decision (because South Carolina was DYING to be next-up), and Tad could not get the Board of Trustees to convene and make a decision in that short of a timespan.

It was that simple. The SEC treated us like we could just jump and get an approval in 48 hours. SINCE THAT TIME, every conference will spend MUCH MORE LEAD-TIME working out membership details with prospective members. BUT AT THAT TIME, the SEC really ****ed Miami up with that 48-hour turnaround. Whereas, South Carolina would have sucked a bag of ****s AND two bags of balls for an SEC bid.

NO PAUSE.

Sad, but true.

Wow, never heard that before ... That's some crazy **** right there.

No doubt then-SEC commissioner Roy Kramer was ****ed off because he thought he got the runaround from FSU — and didn't want to give us or South Carolina an opportunity to do the same.

Can only wonder how things would've gone differently the past 32 years if Foote had been able to answer "yes" to Kramer on the spot

Advertisement
As far as revenue vs expenditure goes, I think we're talking about the same thing? The table I was sourcing "Federally financed higher education R&D expenditures" indicates federal $s spent on research by institution. Research itself is non-revenue generating, so I assume you mean dollar value of research grants issued? I guess this doesn't tell us exactly how much $ is issued in grants by year, but I think amount spent basically tells us the same thing. I wasn't able to find any readily available source on grants issued.

Looking a little deeper, Nebraska is weird, only about 25% of their federal $s are tied to ag, but overall federal ag research increased 5% in that same time period. I guess we can attribute their decline to exiting the AAU, but Rutgers has a similar research profile to us - heavy in biomedical sciences. So who knows the reason for the decline.

Yes, AAU is definitely huge for research, my questions were mainly related to impact of B1G/athletic conference. I get what you're saying, that joining B1G is not an automatic bump, but that seems to be how some make it seem.

Yes, obviously UM is far different from Nebraska lol. Just pointing out the impact joining the B1G on those two member institutions.

You would prefer the SEC, right? Any insights there about impacting research $s vs B1G?

Purely from a sports standpoint, I love the SEC.

But I also enrolled at UM in 1986, a year after UF got invited to the AAU, so I love the academic improvements too and I have to respect the Big 10 there.

The SEC has helped itself lately, 3 of the last 4 schools invited have been AAU schools. And if UGa had made it in this last AAU go-round...

I still think that the Big 10 is much stronger for research $$$ than the SEC is, you have a long history of SEC schools that have a strong agricultural component. Again, not trying to be too "down" on ag schools, but the future research $$$ skews highly to medical, engineering, and tech.

Can we prove out, dollar-for-dollar, the exact impact like we can with a TV contract? Not exactly. It will depend on the success of grant proposals and how we are able to integrate ourselves into the process and work with other schools. ****, I'd love to see a joint Atlantic-Pacific marine science research effort between UM and UCLA.

But you know the money is there. And federal research grants tend to grow every year, you don't have to go out and renegotiate with a TV network to get a bigger payout.

Purely from a sports standpoint, I love the SEC.

But I also enrolled at UM in 1986, a year after UF got invited to the AAU, so I love the academic improvements too and I have to respect the Big 10 there.

The SEC has helped itself lately, 3 of the last 4 schools invited have been AAU schools. And if UGa had made it in this last AAU go-round...

I still think that the Big 10 is much stronger for research $$$ than the SEC is, you have a long history of SEC schools that have a strong agricultural component. Again, not trying to be too "down" on ag schools, but the future research $$$ skews highly to medical, engineering, and tech.

Can we prove out, dollar-for-dollar, the exact impact like we can with a TV contract? Not exactly. It will depend on the success of grant proposals and how we are able to integrate ourselves into the process and work with other schools. ****, I'd love to see a joint Atlantic-Pacific marine science research effort between UM and UCLA.

But you know the money is there. And federal research grants tend to grow every year, you don't have to go out and renegotiate with a TV network to get a bigger payout.
The Academic elitists that run these major universities are snobs and pricks

When Miami and others join the big ten they’re gonna tell themselves academics and research when into the decision, but it’s purely football money and tv coverage

They’ll try to tell you otherwise

Advertisement

Same guy tweeted an SEC list

“So, we have looked at FSU, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, second tier is Duke, Virginia, VA Tech and West Virginia”

Advertisement
Still prefer the $EC by a longshot, but if the B1G is our best option, take it.
Why do you prefer the SEC over the Big 10?

I feel as though the Miami brand will be overshadowed in the SEC, while in the big 10 we would have a real opportunity to have influence and be a face of the conference. Plus I would love to see Miami vs Penn state, Notre dame, Michigan, Nebraska, USC.

Edit: I’m behind, saw someone else asked and you answered

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why do you prefer the SEC over the Big 10?

I feel as though the Miami brand will be overshadowed in the SEC, while in the big 10 we would have a real opportunity to have influence and be a face of the conference. Plus I would love to see Miami vs Penn state, Notre dame, Michigan, Nebraska, USC.
Geographic proximity and game atmosphere. Teams I'd like to play. But as I said, we need to take the best deal, period.

Seems like the timelines being reported are conservative and will play out over the next couple years.

I think once the Big 12 officially starts making moves and begins poaching the pac 12 for schools like Colorado things are going to happen very quickly.

I predict we will be kicking off in the big 10 come 2026 at the latest even with the grant of rights issue

Advertisement
Back