MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

THIS collection of teams was going to get a big TV deal from a major network?

Ridiculous. Three of those teams will never even make it to the Big 10, SEC, or Big 12.

Only FIVE schools worthy of the Power Three.

1685988961277.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
We should have never joined the All Crappy Conference
Or, perhaps, if we hadn't **** the bed for the last 20 years it would have worked out fine for the ACC. Alternatively, if the conference leadership did any number of things differently after adding Louisville, it also would have been fine. It was a whole confluence of factors and decisions made.

I highly doubt they would prioritize Michigan. It’s not even a Historic on the field rival of theirs. Michigan State is who they play more often.

now off the field Notre dame hates Michigan for historical exclusion reasons. either way would be a great ongoing matchup.

I think the networks would rather be able to create the story of Catholic versus convicts more frequently not every 3 to 4 years in a rotation

Notre Dame's fifth-most-frequent opponent is Michigan State. Their eight-most-frequent opponent is Michigan.

Here's the reality. The service academies are not joining the Big 10 conference. But ND could continue to play those schools OOC anyhow.

Of all the teams that have played ND more than 10 times, here are the potential Big 10 schools:

2. USC (soon)
3. Purdue
4. Pitt (long-shot, depending on how big the conferences get and who goes to the SEC)
5. Michigan State
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9 GaTech (long-shot, same as Pitt)
10. Stanford (long-shot, same as Pitt and GaTech)
12T. Miami (possibly)
14. Indiana
15. Iowa
16. North Carolina (possibly)
17. Ped State
19. Wisconsin
20. Nebraska
24T. F$U (the most likely of the long-shots)
24T. Illinois

Yeah, ND is going to the Big 10 if the **** hits the fan. Eleven DEFINITE Big 10 schools. Six POSSIBLE Big 10 schools.

1685989491161.png

Last edited:
Notre Dame's fifth-most-frequent opponent is Michigan State. Their eight-most-frequent opponent is Michigan.

Here's the reality. The service academies are not joining a conference. But ND could continue to play those schools OOC anyhow.

Of all the teams that have played ND more than 10 times, here are the potential Big 10 schools:

2. USC (soon)
3. Purdue
4. Pitt (long-shot, depending on how big the conferences get and who goes to the SEC)
5. Michigan State
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9 GaTech (long-shot, same as Pitt)
10. Stanford (long-shot, same as Pitt and GaTech)
12T. Miami (possibly)
14. Indiana
15. Iowa
16. North Carolina (possibly)
17. Ped State
19. Wisconsin
20. Nebraska
24T. F$U (the most likely of the long-shots)
24T. Illinois

Yeah, ND is going to the Big 10 if the **** hits the fan. Eleven DEFINITE Big 10 schools. Six POSSIBLE Big 10 schools.

View attachment 240788
Lets exclude each of the schools you tagged as a long shot, where do you think Miami ranks on that list in terms of being a permanent opponent to ND?

Uh...no.

That's simply not true. In fact, it was all of the problems with the Big East that led Miami to write up a memo (that the conference **** upon) years before we left for the ACC.

The Big East:
View attachment 240789

I'm pretty sure back in 2003, the ACC also had the most lucrative TV contract in college sports, even over the SEC. The TV networks valued basketball more, and the ACC TV markets were bigger than the SEC's. Joining the conference in 2003 was a no-brainer.

That just makes it more astounding that the conference fumbled the bag and failed to change with the times.

Advertisement
Lets exclude each of the schools you tagged as a long shot, where do you think Miami ranks on that list in terms of being a permanent opponent to ND?

Numerically, we would be behind USC, Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Michigan.

Then you have to acknowledge that Purdue and Northwestern really don't move the needle, as they are long-time opponents due to proximity, and not because those are interesting matchups.

So that leaves USC, Michigan State, and Michigan before you get to Miami.

Obviously, things depend on how big the pods are, and whether there are "permanent opponents" outside of the pods.

USC-UCLA would be "permanent rivals" but if they are in the same pod, there's no need (same as if you had UM and F$U in either a Big 10 pod or an SEC pod).

Therefore, I would guess that USC would be ND's "permanent rival" outside the area.

We should have never joined the All Crappy Conference

Associated Press
June 12, 1990

MARCO ISLAND, Fla. — Athletic directors at Arkansas, Florida State and Miami say their schools would consider joining the Southeastern Conference if the league extended an invitation.

Arkansas has been in the Southwest Conference for 76 years. Florida State is an independent in football and a Metro Conference member in other sports. Miami is an independent in all sports.

“There are very few schools that can make it as an independent,” Miami Athletic Director Sam Jankovich said. “We can make it as an independent. But you have to look at what is down the road 10 years from now.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Associated Press
Sept. 26, 1990

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The University of Miami will continue to study possible affiliation with the Big East and Atlantic Coast conferences, and has eliminated the Southeastern Conference and Metro Conference from consideration, school president Edward Foote said today.

He said the SEC and Metro were eliminated primarily because of the makeup of the university’s student body.

“With the Big East, we have our highest concentration of students in that region, outside of Florida,” Foote said.

There had been opposition to Miami by some SEC presidents because of travel costs and the image that has followed the program since the football team arrived at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl wearing battle fatigues.

Arkansas joined the SEC in August, and Florida State rejected the league two weeks ago to join the ACC. Miami and South Carolina, which joined the league on Tuesday, then became the SEC’s prime candidates.

“Prior to Florida State going to the ACC, there was not enough support for Miami to vote them into the SEC,” a league source said.

TL/DR recap:

SEC wanted a second addition to pair with Arkansas for its 1990 expansion.

Florida State, Miami and South Carolina — very much in that order — were on the short list.

FSU had applied — and been turned down — for SEC membership numerous times dating back to the 1950's. It was a foregone conclusion the Noles would jump at an SEC offer, but the ACC commissioner quietly put the full-court press on the FSU president and, for his part, a very influential Bobby Bowden saw an easier path to football success in the ACC.

We were the second choice, but Foote clearly thought Miami would be the square peg in a round hole by joining the SEC.

The fallback was South Carolina

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reasons?

Academics and money favor B10
I don't really understand the academic angle. Yes, as an alum I like seeing the academic standing improve, I just don't think the sports conference does anything for the academics of UM. As far as I'm aware, being in the ACC hasn't improved the school's academic standing, and the ACC is probably a better conference from an academic standpoint.

I don't really understand the academic angle. Yes, as an alum I like seeing the academic standing improve, I just don't think the sports conference does anything for the academics of UM. As far as I'm aware, being in the ACC hasn't improved the school's academic standing, and the ACC is probably a better conference from an academic standpoint.

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

That's the stuff presidents care about ... academic consortiums, rubbing elbows with their peers at more prestigious universities, blah, blah, blah.

Since this is sportsball conference we'd be joining, the primary considerations ought to be what's going to generate the most media revenue and exposure for the program, enhance recruiting in the revenue sports, put butts in the seats at JRS (or wherever we end up calling home) and so on

Associated Press
June 12, 1990

MARCO ISLAND, Fla. — Athletic directors at Arkansas, Florida State and Miami say their schools would consider joining the Southeastern Conference if the league extended an invitation.

Arkansas has been in the Southwest Conference for 76 years. Florida State is an independent in football and a Metro Conference member in other sports. Miami is an independent in all sports.

“There are very few schools that can make it as an independent,” Miami Athletic Director Sam Jankovich said. “We can make it as an independent. But you have to look at what is down the road 10 years from now.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Associated Press
Sept. 26, 1990

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The University of Miami will continue to study possible affiliation with the Big East and Atlantic Coast conferences, and has eliminated the Southeastern Conference and Metro Conference from consideration, school president Edward Foote said today.

He said the SEC and Metro were eliminated primarily because of the makeup of the university’s student body.

“With the Big East, we have our highest concentration of students in that region, outside of Florida,” Foote said.

There had been opposition to Miami by some SEC presidents because of travel costs and the image that has followed the program since the football team arrived at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl wearing battle fatigues.

Arkansas joined the SEC in August, and Florida State rejected the league two weeks ago to join the ACC. Miami and South Carolina, which joined the league on Tuesday, then became the SEC’s prime candidates.

“Prior to Florida State going to the ACC, there was not enough support for Miami to vote them into the SEC,” a league source said.

TL/DR recap:

Florida State, Miami and South Carolina — very much in that order — were on the short list.

FSU had applied — and been turned down — for SEC membership numerous times dating back to the 1950's. It was a foregone conclusion the Noles would jump at an SEC offer, but the ACC commissioner quietly put the full-court press on the FSU president and, for his part, a very influential Bobby Bowden saw an easier path to football success.

We were the second choice, but Foote clearly thought Miami would be the square peg in a round hole by joining the SEC.

In retrospect, we follied bigly.

Advertisement
It may just be "money for academics." Other than that, I don't know what it would mean, or why it would matter.

Associated Press
June 12, 1990

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Associated Press
Sept. 26, 1990

TL/DR recap:

FSU had applied — and been turned down — for SEC membership numerous times dating back to the 1950's. It was a foregone conclusion the Noles would jump at an SEC offer, but the ACC commissioner quietly put the full-court press on the FSU president and, for his part, a very influential Bobby Bowden saw an easier path to football success.

That was very long but I'm glad that I read it. I think FSU and Miami made the right calls at the time. We both got two rings and numerous title game appearances out of it.

The reasoning for Foote was sound (I know he's hated by the fans). FSU choosing the ACC after so many SEC rejections reminds me of why ND is aligned with the ACC and not B1G.

The one positive for right now is there isn't as much uncertainty like there is in the PAC right now. Big12 is expanding as the #4 but they are still by far our juniors as a power and financially. I'm not saying we be content being so dwarfed in revenue by B1G and SEC. I'm just saying it's not the worst. We played in the Big East so being solidly the third best conference is a step up.

THIS collection of teams was going to get a big TV deal from a major network?

Ridiculous. Three of those teams will never even make it to the Big 10, SEC, or Big 12.

Only FIVE schools worthy of the Power Three.

View attachment 240785

Temple Owls were UNDEFEATED under HC Manny Diaz.

They put asses in seats and eyeballs on screens.

Advertisement
It has "fallen" actually.

That was very long but I'm glad that I read it. I think FSU and Miami made the right calls at the time. We both got two rings and numerous title game appearances out of it.

I dunno about that.

Turds won three national championships from 1996-08 as SEC members. Holes could've done the same in the SEC. Same goes for Miami provided we had the right coaches.

FSU choosing the ACC after so many SEC rejections reminds me of why ND is aligned with the ACC and not B1G

Bowden wimped out, bottom line.

That FSU president was gonna choose whichever conference his successful and popular football coach wanted

You should look up how the big 10 works together on research and how that also adds milllllllions to the overall school.

If it didn’t university of Chicago wouldn’t be a non athletic member. It’s not just athletics specifically with the big 10. It’s not just an academic prestige halo. It matters money wise. Library wise. Taking classes via other schools programs wise.

Last edited:
Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

That's the stuff presidents care about ... academic consortiums, rubbing elbows with their peers at more prestigious universities, blah, blah, blah.

Since this is sportsball conference we'd be joining, the primary considerations ought to be what's going to generate the most media revenue and exposure for the program, enhance recruiting in the revenue sports, put butts in the seats at JRS (or wherever we end up calling home) and so on
It’s more than that actually but only in the big 10

Advertisement
Back