MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Basically they are paying 70-80% of the projected revenue to leave early…

Not good for our chances of getting out of a 13 year GOR for cheap lol
Agree on the surface but I think if we were to leave the ACC that it would be more than just a 2 team exodus- probably at the very minimum it'd be double that. Might be more of the conference got blown up type deal than a bunch of remaining schools having leverage over just a Miami and a Clemson trying to leave.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree on the surface but I think if we were to leave the ACC that it would be more than just a 2 team exodus- probably at the very minimum it'd be double that. Might be more of the conference got blown up type deal than a bunch of remaining schools having leverage over just a Miami and a Clemson trying to leave.
That itself means it's less likely we leave anytime soon imo. No way Us, Clemson, and FSU leaving early is going to be the thing that ends the ACC immediately to the point we'd be able to avoid a major buyout imo. That would require UNC leaving, which while I absolutely think they'd be wanted by SEC/B10, I don't think they'll want to give up their leadership in the ACC unless they have no other choice really..

That itself means it's less likely we leave anytime soon imo. No way Us, Clemson, and FSU leaving early is going to be the thing that ends the ACC immediately to the point we'd be able to avoid a major buyout imo. That would require UNC leaving, which while I absolutely think they'd be wanted by SEC/B10, I don't think they'll want to give up their leadership in the ACC unless they have no other choice really..
Agreed in that I too think UNC will be linchpin in the collapse of the ACC. You make a definite valid point in them needing the appropriate amount of motivation to leave a conference that is ridiculously controlled by the Carolina schools and obviously not even trying to expand to save itself now.

I just think the next round of "super" conference expansion/poaching is going to be the big and final one and we'll see the B1G come for UNC with money they can't refuse and at least a handful of other ACC schools will be ready to depart the conference with them.

We shall see. Like the playoff expansion, all this just seems inevitable ans needlessly delayed.

Basically they are paying 70-80% of the projected revenue to leave early…

Not good for our chances of getting out of a 13 year GOR for cheap lol

Yeah; they’ll take the hit yr 1, although both schools make plenty of $$ off merchandise sales, but in the grand scheme, that’s a small hit compared to what they’ll be making yr 2 & beyond.

Advertisement
Yeah; they’ll take the hit yr 1, although both schools make plenty of $$ off merchandise sales, but in the grand scheme, that’s a small hit compared to what they’ll be making yr 2 & beyond.
The interesting thing is they likely weren't going to make $50M from the B12 media rights next year. It was likely going to be more like $30M I'd think - I'm pretty sure OU and Texas make a larger % of the revenue vs other B12 members. So it almost doesn't make much sense why they would need to pay $50M. Like if this were our situation where we have a 13 year GOR, imagine having to pay that 13yr buyout at SEC payouts rather than our current ACC payouts... Would be a significant difference. If the payouts were just paying what the avg ACC payout was, we could likely switch today and be fine since ACC is like $30M, and SEC is $70M and going on $100M... So we'd literally make more money every year even after paying the ACC to leave.

Judging by the timing of these announcements (right after SEC announced what the payouts for it's members were) it's like they literally based the buyout on the SECs current payout for its members. But that really seems like the B12 got a good deal given that Texas and OU were leaving no matter what.

The interesting thing is they likely weren't going to make $50M from the B12 media rights next year. It was likely going to be more like $30M I'd think - I'm pretty sure OU and Texas make a larger % of the revenue vs other B12 members. So it almost doesn't make much sense why they would need to pay $50M. Like if this were our situation where we have a 13 year GOR, imagine having to pay that 13yr buyout at SEC payouts rather than our current ACC payouts... Would be a significant difference. If the payouts were just paying what the avg ACC payout was, we could likely switch today and be fine since ACC is like $30M, and SEC is $70M and going on $100M... So we'd literally make more money every year even after paying the ACC to leave.

Judging by the timing of these announcements (right after SEC announced what the payouts for it's members were) it's like they literally based the buyout on the SECs current payout for its members. But that really seems like the B12 got a good deal given that Texas and OU were leaving no matter what.

Yeah, u’re right; the B12 had its highest distribution per team last fiscal yr at $42.6m, its first increase in sharing in 2 yrs.

I definitely agree w/ u, the Big 12 got the better end of this, & just seeing a snippet of The Athletic (b4 it cut me off) I saw the commissioner of the B12 say they would only agree to UT & OU to w/d from The B12 if it was only in their best interest.

Well, it certainly looks like they bent both schools over & got the better end of this early departure from a revenue standpoint by, just judging on last yrs’ fiscal distribution, at a minimum $16m surplus.

Advertisement
Back