Completely OT: With Manny Being Cuban...

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
.... can you guys think of another major program that has had a white, black AND a Hispanic head coach? I couldn't but certain aspects of my brain are permanently damaged due to my love affair with grain alcohol. Nonetheless, it's a little trivia tidbit that's also pretty reflective of the most diverse fanbase in the country.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
.... can you guys think of another major program that has had a white, black AND a Hispanic head coach? I couldn't but certain aspects of my brain are permanently damaged due to my love affair with grain alcohol. Nonetheless, it's a little trivia tidbit that's also pretty reflective of the most diverse fanbase in the country.
lol u know its sad but only Hispanic hc I can even think of in football is tom flores of the raiders back in the 80's but I don't have best memory

Does Rich Rodriguez count as Brown or White?!? Other than that, I got nothing

Advertisement
Does Rich Rodriguez count as Brown or White?!? Other than that, I got nothing

I knew I actually did remember that it wasn't a cut and dry deal with Rich Rod (even though his grandfather IS from Spain) and then I found this:

-Rodriguez is widely considered one of two Hispanic coaches in Division I-A football. Florida International's Mario Cristobal is the other. But the Black Coaches and Administrators excludes Rodriguez as a minority football coach, even though West Virginia considers him of Hispanic descent. "He's never considered himself a minority, or a member of the BCA, even though we've asked him to do that," BCA director Floyd Keith told the Birmingham (Ala.) News in October. "How they include him (at West Virginia) is fine. We would love to have included him in our numbers, but that's not his choice."

Also OT and he only was a college head coach at Jacksonville but was Miami's Lindy Infante of Cuban heritage?

Advertisement
It's reflective of the school also. The school president is Mexican. The student body is very diverse. Before attending Miami, I could probably count on one hand the number of Asians I met in my life. The school is full of Asians and Hispanics. There are a good amount of students from the middle east too.

I knew I actually did remember that it wasn't a cut and dry deal with Rich Rod (even though his grandfather IS from Spain) and then I found this:

-Rodriguez is widely considered one of two Hispanic coaches in Division I-A football. Florida International's Mario Cristobal is the other. But the Black Coaches and Administrators excludes Rodriguez as a minority football coach, even though West Virginia considers him of Hispanic descent. "He's never considered himself a minority, or a member of the BCA, even though we've asked him to do that," BCA director Floyd Keith told the Birmingham (Ala.) News in October. "How they include him (at West Virginia) is fine. We would love to have included him in our numbers, but that's not his choice."

I believe Rich Rodriguez is of Spanish descent....his family is not from latin America.
Lots of Spaniards emigrated to Pennsylvannia, WV,etc to work in coal mines, steel mills,etc similar to
the Italians and other immigrants.
Similar deal with Barry Alvarez.
So, no, they are not really hispanics.
Same deal with Spanish immigrants to Tampa during late 1800s and early 1900s to work in the
tobacco industry.
Lou Piniella and Tino Martinez are two offsprings of that group.

I believe Rich Rodriguez is of Spanish descent....his family is not from latin America.
Lots of Spaniards emigrated to Pennsylvannia, WV,etc to work in coal mines, steel mills,etc similar to
Same deal with Spanish immigrants to Tampa during late 1800s and early 1900s to work in the
tobacco industry.

Why are they not Hispanics?

tobacco industry.

I think we run into a debate there about Hispanic vs Latino but I definitely understand the gist of what you're saying.

Even with Manny too I believe his mom is a gringa from Ohio but he obviously gets the full Hispanic and Latino classifications.

Advertisement
Back