Completely OT: With Manny Being Cuban...

Advertisement
.... can you guys think of another major program that has had a white, black AND a Hispanic head coach? I couldn't but certain aspects of my brain are permanently damaged due to my love affair with grain alcohol. Nonetheless, it's a little trivia tidbit that's also pretty reflective of the most diverse fanbase in the country.
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hispanics are a mix of Spaniard and Native American (Taino, Azteca, Mayan, etc) or "West African descent" and mostly live in the western hemisphere while a Spaniard is literally a Spanish person who's bloodline 100% directly comes from Spain.

That is your own definition.

I’ve moved around due to work, but have lived, or had south Florida as my home base for most of my life and I’ve heard that word bandied about.

The literal definition of Hispanic from Merrimack Webster is primarily: Definition of Hispanic. 1 : of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal. And secondarily, 2 : of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S. especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin.

The word literally means of or relating to Spain.

That’s always how I’ve always understood the word, although I realize people have expanded its definition in common use.

I'm still waiting for an A-B negative coach at a power five program. They are consistently the most underrated group in the coaching spectrum. I myself am A-B negative (cant believe I finally said that out loud) and had a hard time growing up finding positive A-B negative role models. Its just not right or fair and I for...

That is your own definition.

I’ve moved around due to work, but have lived, or had south Florida as my home base for most of my life and I’ve heard that word bandied about.

The literal definition of Hispanic from Merrimack Webster is primarily: Definition of Hispanic. 1 : of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal. And secondarily, 2 : of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the U.S. especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin.

The word literally means of or relating to Spain.

That’s always how I’ve always understood the word, although I realize people have expanded its definition in common use.

Well, true, both definitions of "Hispanic" are true, but I think our answers are more of the second definition, and, just IMO, I like calling those of direct 100% Spanish bloodline Spaniards, to prevent confusion. One of those words that has two definitions that either answer is correct.

I'm still waiting for an A-B negative coach at a power five program. They are consistently the most underrated group in the coaching spectrum. I myself am A-B negative (cant believe I finally said that out loud) and had a hard time growing up finding positive A-B negative role models. Its just not right or fair and I for...

They must love you at the blood banks

Advertisement
I think we need to examine Manny's Cubanism. He wears a few guayaberas, but does he speak Spanish?

I believe Rich Rodriguez is of Spanish descent....his family is not from latin America.
Lots of Spaniards emigrated to Pennsylvannia, WV,etc to work in coal mines, steel mills,etc similar to
the Italians and other immigrants.
Similar deal with Barry Alvarez.
So, no, they are not really hispanics.
Same deal with Spanish immigrants to Tampa during late 1800s and early 1900s to work in the
tobacco industry.
Lou Piniella and Tino Martinez are two offsprings of that group.
100% correct

Advertisement
I think we need to examine Manny's Cubanism. He wears a few guayaberas, but does he speak Spanish?

At anytime, if he referred to women as "jebas" or dudes as "Gallo" or "mi socio" or characterized Terry Porter's call in the Fiesta Bowl as a "mariconada" then, yes, he is a Cubano, maybe even a Cubanazo.

At anytime, if he referred to women as "jebas" or dudes as "Gallo" or "mi socio" or characterized Terry Porter's call in the Fiesta Bowl as a "mariconada" then, yes, he is a Cubano, maybe even a Cubanazo.

I'm waiting for a "de pinga"

Advertisement
Back