College Game Day for FSU?

Advertisement
The bigger question is whether Sam Ponder and David Pollack will go public with their affair prior to the game.

I honestly don't think there would be enough interest on campus. Some students would wander over there for a while but it wouldn't be quite like these other little towns where it's the most important thing ever and there's tons of people in the vicinity tailgating.

You're underestimating our campus culture, trust me they'll show up in masses... also, Gameday is open to everyone and an undefeated UM will draw the crowd.

I'm on campus all the time. I see a lot of orientals and nerds. Gameday requires thousands of drunk rednecks who spend all week camping out, making signs, drinking bourbon and corn-holing everything in sight. Whoever schedules Gameday in Coral Gables will be out of a job the next day.

Again, why would they hold Gameday in an empty parking lot?

They would hold it on campus. They don't shoot gameplay right next to the stadium every week.

Most of the time, they do. Most college stadia are on campus, so they can do that. Miami is a unique situation, and they've had some problems shooting here. I think that if Miami/FSU is FAR AND AWAY the best game on the schedule, they will be here, but they will ask for some kind of concession(opening the tailgate lots early, so they don't have to have two separate sets miles apart from each other), or something like that. If they can make a case for an SEC game, that's where they will be, because it's ESPN, and that's how they roll. I don't know if Miami fans will show up on campus, at 10 in the morning, just to listen to Herbstreit and Co. flap their gums(Des would love it though, he lives down here, he could commute to work that week)

I honestly don't think there would be enough interest on campus. Some students would wander over there for a while but it wouldn't be quite like these other little towns where it's the most important thing ever and there's tons of people in the vicinity tailgating.

You're underestimating our campus culture, trust me they'll show up in masses... also, Gameday is open to everyone and an undefeated UM will draw the crowd.

I'm on campus all the time. I see a lot of orientals and nerds. Gameday requires thousands of drunk rednecks who spend all week camping out, making signs, drinking bourbon and corn-holing everything in sight. Whoever schedules Gameday in Coral Gables will be out of a job the next day.

I went to the last Gameday that involved Miami/FSU(up in tally a couple of years back), it's an overrated experience. I doubt kids are going to commute to campus just to go to that, and you can't rely on the resident kids to show up early on a Saturday morning, when they are most likely getting ready for the game. Even when Miami was the kings of the sport, Gameday rarely showed up.

Advertisement

Not sure if you're just being a contrarian, and it's going over my head ... My sarcasm/trolling meter is off today ... But Harvard hosted a Game Day in 2014.

If they can get it, Miami can get it.

I went to the last Gameday that involved Miami/FSU(up in tally a couple of years back), it's an overrated experience. I doubt kids are going to commute to campus just to go to that, and you can't rely on the resident kids to show up early on a Saturday morning, when they are most likely getting ready for the game. Even when Miami was the kings of the sport, Gameday rarely showed up.
We have had people camping out and partying for basketball games and ESPN highlighted that. We can get crowds for big events and people would show up for Game day.

We have had people camping out and partying for basketball games and ESPN highlighted that. We can get crowds for big events and people would show up for Game day.

Yet, when Miami was KILLING THE ACC, Basketball Gameday didn't show up. Those kids only camped for Duke, and UNC, because there was a tangible benefit(Getting into the BUC) involved. We're talking about a TV show, a TV show most of our student body doesn't realize exists(I doubt it's changed on campus since I finished law school last December, but bring up College Gameday, and most people look at you funny). Would it be cool if Gameday showed up? Yep, but I'm also looking at the fact that Texas/OU has the State Fair going on around it, so it's a carnival atmosphere, you have the madhouses that is the SEC schools. Miami, even with a big time game on the schedule just doesn't match up to that, if you are a Gameday producer. Yes, Fowler and Herbstreit would like to record the show from the Gables, but the producers would be a little wary of campus. Maybe if you did it from the Rat, with the open windows(Kind of like the Today show)it would be palatable.

Last edited:

Not sure if you're just being a contrarian, and it's going over my head ... My sarcasm/trolling meter is off today ... But Harvard hosted a Game Day in 2014.

There's like 7 billion college kids within a 10 mile radius of Harvard. Try again.

Advertisement
The bigger question is whether Sam Ponder and David Pollack will go public with their affair prior to the game.

Pollack is cheating on Jesse Palmer? Nothing and I mean nothing is sacred anymore.

There's like 7 billion college kids within a 10 mile radius of Harvard. Try again.

I've been to gameday 3 times, twice in Tallatrashy (UM 2013, Clemson 2014) and once in Gainesville. There isn't more than a few thousand people there... they just glorify it on TV. We can draw the crowd you guys need to stop being so pessimistic about our fanbase.

The other big games that weekend are the Red River Rivalry and

Washington at Oregon
Tennessee at Texas A&M

Advertisement

I've been to gameday 3 times, twice in Tallatrashy (UM 2013, Clemson 2014) and once in Gainesville. There isn't more than a few thousand people there... they just glorify it on TV. We can draw the crowd you guys need to stop being so pessimistic about our fanbase.

Exactly, I went to Gameday for Temple-Notre Dame (Temple alum) and it was held in Independence Hall in Center City. Which is NOT on campus and NOT near the stadium (the Linc). Attendance was maybe 2-3k and only because it's in the middle of Philly's biggest tourist attraction so you had a bunch of rando's.

It could totally happen and I hope it does!

Orientals :kim:

LOL at Gameday on UM's campus. All the orientals will be out there with signs attached to their chopsticks written in those crazy oriental characters.

Advertisement

Also, Gameday goes to one "nontraditional" place per year(or every couple of years), those kids take it as their personal mission to get everyone to show up. Harvard, SDSU and those schools put a ton of marketing muscle into the enterprise, and in some cases(FCS) schools, they schedule it around homecoming, so they can really pack people in.

Maybe because I was fortunate enough to attend Miami for my BS,MBA and JD, I've seen the student body change over the last 12 years. There's fewer bros walking around now, the racial mix has changed, and you see few students that care about college football. I remember going to parties in the dorms where people would sneak a keg in the elevator and watch football all day in someone's dorm room. That doesn't happen nearly as often now. The changing student demographics is also the reason why the Grove is dying. Miami, due to the higher academic standards, and the resultant competition is "Nerdier" than ever.

It will be hard to top the gameday for the 2000 Miami-VT game when a Miami fan held up a sign behind the set that said, "Vick is a *****." I was shocked they came back to Miami for the Syracuse the next year.

It will be hard to top the gameday for the 2000 Miami-VT game when a Miami fan held up a sign behind the set that said, "Vick is a *****." I was shocked they came back to Miami for the Syracuse the next year.

I remember when some guy put a beer in my hand and then flung my arm really hard forward so that the beer flew all over that cumstain Fowler. Fowler got doused when that dude did that to my arm. He got really sour at getting soaked.

I remember when some guy put a beer in my hand and then flung my arm really hard forward so that the beer flew all over that cumstain Fowler. Fowler got doused when that dude did that to my arm. He got really sour at getting soaked.

What kind of beer?

Advertisement
Back