College Football Opt out should start happening soon

Remember when players would stay because they wanted to play for their school and have a shot at the championship?

Now you have people encouraging players to leave the school they supposedly support. And they call themselves fans.

Advertisement
These kids have to realize the risk associated with opting out. Just because you are a projected 1st round pick a year out does not mean that is where you will go if you do not play. These projections are largely based on expectations for one. Second, while you don't necessarily hurt your draft stock, who's to say that other kids at your position don't ball out and pass you?

Without sounding like an idiot, why would ANY player need approval to opt out of the season? How does this actually change anything? If you don't play, others very well could pass you on draft boards, and likely will. Just like any other season.

Another Twitter moron spreading dopey opinions as fact. There will not be "significant" opt out. It'll probably be around 1% if that.

Depends which 1% though, no? If the best 1% of CFB opt's out that's like losing all the players in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and part of the 4th rounds of the NFL Draft. Practically a starless season.

(85*130*.01)

Advertisement
Bet you Greg doesn't opt out. There isn't a single person on our team who will opt out over injury concerns. Now a Justin Fields or Trevor Laurence, sure, sit.

Advertisement
I can see a lot of players opting out...however I don't see how opting out and "training for the NFL draft" helps anyone. There are maybe 5 players that could not play and see their stock stay roughly the same.

If you're not one of those few players, you're certainly opting to taking at least 75 cents on the dollar for opting out or less.
This.

And I don’t think GR15 falls into that category. He needs more film.

Theres also a chance that, depending on the spread of the virus (esp within cfb), a team’s record, etc, that some players decide to shut it down mid-season. If you arent one of the top 5 guys, this would probably be the best route.

Advertisement
Without sounding like an idiot, why would ANY player need approval to opt out of the season? How does this actually change anything? If you don't play, others very well could pass you on draft boards, and likely will. Just like any other season.
I believe the “opt-out” allows them to keep their scholarship and continue their studies. I could be wrong tho.

Remember when players would stay because they wanted to play for their school and have a shot at the championship?

Now you have people encouraging players to leave the school they supposedly support. And they call themselves fans.

I will encourage Lawrence to sit out since he's a lock at #1 and there is absolutely no upside to playing. Pride? F#ck pride when you are talking about a payday to be set up for generational levels of wealth. If I were him, I'd go live in a hermetically sealed bubble until the NFL draft. He already won Clemson a championship. His debt has been paid. For Rosseau, he needs to play because he just doesn't have the body of evidence to justify a top 5 pick. Last year's #5 (Tua) got a 30 mil contract with 20 mil guaranteed. The #15 (Jeudy) got 15 million with 8.6 guaranteed. #5 got twice the salary and more than twice the guaranteed money. That's too much dough to risk leaving on the table.

Advertisement
if the draft were to start today as it stands
1.Trevor “Sunshine” Lawrence, QB- Clemson
2.Penei Sewell, OT-Oregon
3. Justin Fields, Q- OSU
Greg could go anywhere between as high as 4th and as low as 11th overall.. If the draft were to start today. Now if he has another Season of 15+ sacks, which is doable. He’ll shoot up as high as #2 And no lower than 4th overall. If this tweet holds any merit than it wouldn’t be wise in Greg to sit out and potentially miss his chance at being drafted #2. He won’t be drafted #1 overall because of Lawrence assuming that Sunshine isnt injured. And even then.

sunshine could opt out...

Brevin ain't going anywhere too injury prone first two seasons to opt-out imo (not a knock against his potential, we all know he's a mismatch for any defensive opponent); however, he still has something to prove to elevate his draft position and confirm his talent to scouts.

Guys like Lawrence and Fields has nothing to play for other than pride; interesting to see what happens.

Advertisement
Back