Coley's offense gets ****ted on

Some of you guys actually expected a first time coordinator to knock it out of the park his 2nd year with a freshmen QB....amazing.

University of Miami should never have a first time coordinator. Even Ice, Beard and Hurlie are coaching reaches. Melvin and Paul Williams have college experience but have proven nothing. Only coach that has proven himself with past and present experience is Scott. Grohlden does not surround himself with proven college coaches. That's a problem.

He tried that with Christobal, worked well.

Advertisement
Some of you guys actually expected a first time coordinator to knock it out of the park his 2nd year with a freshmen QB....amazing.

University of Miami should never have a first time coordinator. Even Ice, Beard and Hurlie are coaching reaches. Melvin and Paul Williams have college experience but have proven nothing. Only coach that has proven himself with past and present experience is Scott. Grohlden does not surround himself with proven college coaches. That's a problem.

He tried that with Christobal, worked well.

Cristobal isn't a proven coach, he's a great recruiter. Saban can afford to have him as an OL coach because he has an elite coordinator. No one on Folden's staff is elite at coaching. Only good recruiters, see the difference?

#F ire A l G rohlden

#BRINGBACKBUTCH

Remember the fish rots from the head down. I believe that Frauden puts the handcuffs on Coley. He believes in a passive D which limits the big play. I bet he has the same philosophy on the offense. He coaches scared. It is hard to evaluate anyone on this team,players and coaches, when his style is to limit mistakes on both sides of ball. This guy flat out sucks. He does not let his athletes play without being scared of making a mistake.

THIS! Have seen Coley angry and frustrated at Golden many times during games last season. In fact, I am surprised he is still here.

this is coleys offense golden has say in some things but overall the whole system is coleys

Nah.

Paranos told me Fisch was an offensive playbook guru, and was specifically hired as Miami OC to create the Al Golden offense.

Any OC who coaches for Al will run the same offense, the one created by Fisch. So, when we hired Coley, he clearly agreed to run the Golden/Fisch offense.

:jordan:

(just jokes)

Remember the fish rots from the head down. I believe that Frauden puts the handcuffs on Coley. He believes in a passive D which limits the big play. I bet he has the same philosophy on the offense. He coaches scared. It is hard to evaluate anyone on this team,players and coaches, when his style is to limit mistakes on both sides of ball. This guy flat out sucks. He does not let his athletes play without being scared of making a mistake.

THIS! Have seen Coley angry and frustrated at Golden many times during games last season. In fact, I am surprised he is still here.

this is coleys offense golden has say in some things but overall the whole system is coleys

Nah.

Paranos told me Fisch was an offensive playbook guru, and was specifically hired as Miami OC to create the Al Golden offense.

Any OC who coaches for Al will run the same offense, the one created by Fisch. So, when we hired Coley, he clearly agreed to run the Golden/Fisch offense.

(just jokes)

well they are both pro style offenses, but after that naw lol

Advertisement

Thanks for the endorsement

Guys, Coley is still trying to figure out how to convert a 3rd down. How do you expect him to get the ball into the hands of his most explosive player?

Advertisement
But this O looks nothing like Fisch's. Man, we are in so much trouble unless we get a real OC in here. You watch, our D balls out this year and we're all scratching our heads as to why our O can't move the ball. Sad, sad times.
Nah.

(just jokes)

Miami isn't going to get a big time coordinator because those types of coordinators want one of two things:
- Lots of money
- Work under a head coach that will look good on their resume and get them a promotion
Miami does not currently provide any of these things.

Ok as far as Coley is concerned you guys may be right but we don't know how much of it is him or Golden. Look at what happened with Barrow, clearly not everyone agrees with Golden.

Miami isn't going to get a big time coordinator because those types of coordinators want one of two things:
- Lots of money
- Work under a head coach that will look good on their resume and get them a promotion

Ok as far as Coley is concerned you guys may be right but we don't know how much of it is him or Golden. Look at what happened with Barrow, clearly not everyone agrees with Golden.

We can afford any coordinator in the game. Money is not an issue. AG is fcukkn issue. Why would anyone come in here under some dead man walking HC. It is the same reason we have promoted from within. NOBODY wants to work with AG. Guys like Coley, Scott, beard, hurlie, ice couldn't pass up the opportunity. Coley is calling plays (officially), Scott is working with elite TE talent, Beard job was gift wrapped same as hurlie and ice. Those guys I mentioned are not hurting their coaching stock one bit by being here. But guys like AG, MD, PW are done in the power 5. Kehoe is out of touch.

- Lots of money

We can afford any coordinator in the game. Money is not an issue. AG is fcukkn issue. Why would anyone come in here under some dead man walking HC. It is the same reason we have promoted from within. NOBODY wants to work with AG. Guys like Coley, Scott, beard, hurlie, ice couldn't pass up the opportunity. Coley is calling plays (officially), Scott is working with elite TE talent, Beard job was gift wrapped same as hurlie and ice. Those guys I mentioned are not hurting their coaching stock one bit by being here. But guys like AG, MD, PW are done in the power 5. Kehoe is out of touch.

If money wasn't an issue we wouldnt have hired Golden so money is an issue. Miami will not spend money and they never have. Coker had a few years where he was paid well but other than that we have always paid poor for both a head coach and coordinators. I never said those coaches are hurting their stock by working here. I said it wasn't helping them or at least much. Would you rather hire a RB coach that worked under Golden for 5 years or Saban for 5 years? In other words a good coordinator isn't going to take a pay cut to work for Golden but would for other coaches.

Advertisement
- Lots of money

Sorry...but I don't buy one word of those last 2 sentences. That line of thinking is a long lost descendant of the "Golden is only in his first real year" line.

Enough with the excuses. Golden's a horrible coach but I don't buy for one second that he's meddling with the offense to the point where it's a viable excuse on Coley's part. His offense is ridiculously predictable, simple, and ignores parts of the field. We've got a big enough sample size (combined with the fact he's been the beneficiary of some good talent) to say he's an abomination of a coordinator. When you take into account talent that each coach has been privy to, Coley has been easily the worst coach on the staff for the last 2 years...which is a **** of an accomplishment given the competition.

There's a reason Jimbo didn't give him playcalling duties. At the time it was a red flag in my eyes and it's become a banner the size of Texas ever since.

Last edited:
I'll be willing to admit that after watching the snails pace at which the offense ran last season there was an intentional effort to artificially boost Dorito's perceived value.

- Lots of money

Sorry...but I don't buy one word of those last 2 sentences. That line of thinking is a long lost descendant of the "Golden is only in his first real year" line.

Enough with the excuses. Golden's a horrible coach but I don't buy for one second that he's meddling with the offense to the point where it's a viable excuse on Coley's part. His offense is ridiculously predictable, simple, and ignores parts of the field. We've got a big enough sample size (combined with the fact he's been the beneficiary of some good talent) to say he's an abomination of a coordinator. When you take into account talent that each coach has been privy to, Coley has been easily the worst coach on the staff for the last 2 years...which is a **** of an accomplishment given the competition.

There's a reason Jimbo didn't give him playcalling duties. At the time it was a red flag in my eyes and it's become a banner the size of Texas ever since.

You may be right, perhaps he told Coley to call any play he wants or he could have told Coley he doesn't want Kaaya throwing difficult passes. We really don't know at this point. Jimbo was and is a good play caller and surely better than Coley. Jimbo still calls plays for FSU and that is because he wants too. I think Fisch was a lot better than Coley but what Miami needs is a new head coach first. Once we get that lets let that guy make the decision on who stays and goes.

Advertisement
Any OC worth a darn would be confident in their ability to get UM talent to produce. There are many, many more talented OCs out there who would take the job in a heartbeat. Coley might be able to recruit, but his inability to convert 3rd downs frightens me.
- Lots of money

If money wasn't an issue we wouldnt have hired Golden so money is an issue. Miami will not spend money and they never have. Coker had a few years where he was paid well but other than that we have always paid poor for both a head coach and coordinators. I never said those coaches are hurting their stock by working here. I said it wasn't helping them or at least much. Would you rather hire a RB coach that worked under Golden for 5 years or Saban for 5 years? In other words a good coordinator isn't going to take a pay cut to work for Golden but would for other coaches.

Golden wasn't hired because he came cheap.

Miami has the money, whether they choose to use it is the question.

- Lots of money

You may be right, perhaps he told Coley to call any play he wants or he could have told Coley he doesn't want Kaaya throwing difficult passes. We really don't know at this point. Jimbo was and is a good play caller and surely better than Coley. Jimbo still calls plays for FSU and that is because he wants too. I think Fisch was a lot better than Coley but what Miami needs is a new head coach first. Once we get that lets let that guy make the decision on who stays and goes.

A coach is only as good as what he surrounds himself with. That's one of the most important and most underrated parts of the job...the ability to spot good assistants and surround yourself with guys who know what the F they are doing.

Among many other things, Golden fails miserably in this regard. We need a new STAFF as much as we need a new coach. The whole thing needs to be purged...we easily have the worst set of coordinators in the country.

perfect avatar for this post

lol I realize I sounded a little butthurt (which I actually wasn't). I'm glad this article is a popular discussion piece on this board as it's an important topic. None of the coaches should be let off the hook, not even the great recruiters and genuine good people like Coley.

Advertisement
Back