Coley's offense gets ****ted on

Miami isn't going to get a big time coordinator because those types of coordinators want one of two things:
- Lots of money
- Work under a head coach that will look good on their resume and get them a promotion
Miami does not currently provide any of these things.

Ok as far as Coley is concerned you guys may be right but we don't know how much of it is him or Golden. Look at what happened with Barrow, clearly not everyone agrees with Golden.

Sorry...but I don't buy one word of those last 2 sentences. That line of thinking is a long lost descendant of the "Golden is only in his first real year" line.

Enough with the excuses. Golden's a horrible coach but I don't buy for one second that he's meddling with the offense to the point where it's a viable excuse on Coley's part. His offense is ridiculously predictable, simple, and ignores parts of the field. We've got a big enough sample size (combined with the fact he's been the beneficiary of some good talent) to say he's an abomination of a coordinator. When you take into account talent that each coach has been privy to, Coley has been easily the worst coach on the staff for the last 2 years...which is a **** of an accomplishment given the competition.

There's a reason Jimbo didn't give him playcalling duties. At the time it was a red flag in my eyes and it's become a banner the size of Texas ever since.

You may be right, perhaps he told Coley to call any play he wants or he could have told Coley he doesn't want Kaaya throwing difficult passes. We really don't know at this point. Jimbo was and is a good play caller and surely better than Coley. Jimbo still calls plays for FSU and that is because he wants too. I think Fisch was a lot better than Coley but what Miami needs is a new head coach first. Once we get that lets let that guy make the decision on who stays and goes.

A coach is only as good as what he surrounds himself with. That's one of the most important and most underrated parts of the job...the ability to spot good assistants and surround yourself with guys who know what the F they are doing.

Among many other things, Golden fails miserably in this regard. We need a new STAFF as much as we need a new coach. The whole thing needs to be purged...we easily have the worst set of coordinators in the country.

100%

Advertisement
Guys, Coley is still trying to figure out how to convert a 3rd down. How do you expect him to get the ball into the hands of his most explosive player?

Speaking of 3rd downs...

I always love when Coley runs play-action on 3rd & 12.

Innovative stuff. Gotta keep that defense guessing!

Coley doesn't get enough heat around here IMO.

If Dorsett had one of these innovative spread guys as his OC he would've put up foolish numbers. Watching Sarkisian speak at an Orlando coaching clinic was all I needed to see to realize how pedestrian Coley is.

This, I tried to say this last year prior to the season, but just look how he is using Stacy, Ill stick to what I've always said, S.Coley should be used like Bama used Coop. Coley has excellent route running skills but majority on here thought it was a sophomore slump, imo it was all coaching and teams were better prepared than the prior year where coley had a good season. I just pray Miami wises up like TCU coach did and change the offense and make it easier on themselves.

how could you use coley like copper when he doesn't like going down the middle ? Coley doesn't even have the size or the route running ability that cooper has. There completely different receivers.

Jimbo got Rashad Green 100 catches this season

I understand the premise, but let's be clear on what PD showed while he was here. He was a deep threat who if he caught the ball in stride was gone.

He wasn't an over the middle type of receiver.

He wasn't a good punt / kick returner at all.

He wasn't very good on screens, that may be a design issue though.

He wasn't very shifty for a guy his size.

He didn't have the best hands.

Still, he could've been used more than he was, same with the rest of the WR's. The offense was inconsistent in every phase of the game.

It's wonderful that he's getting all of the positive attention he is, but we've seen what his strengths and weaknesses were through the years.

It's pretty hard for a WR to do all those things you claim he can't do if he's not being asked to do those things. Players can't decide on their own to start running routes that the coach doesn't draw up for them.

Do you think Stacy was best utilized last year by the coaches running so many screens into heavy traffic?

Stacy would play more if he ran better routes and read coverages. Coley is a Jimbo disciple. WRs have to read coverage and be on the same page as the QB.
Coleys situational playcalling is dumb, but the passing game and route diversity should become more complex with an experienced Kayaa and Beard working with WRs.

Look at FSU, EJ Manual only ran 50% of Fishers passing game. Stephen Morris was a tard like EJ and Kayaa was a true freshman in a limited "check with me" system. Winston threw with anticipation and had several INTs with inexperienced WRs not running proper routes, so with more experience and an actual WR coach, the offense could look better. Coley is unfortunately learnig on the job, which shouldn't be surprising since he was a GA at LSU only 7 years ago.

Advertisement
Guys, this is my issue with Kaaya as well. I see this kid play the game like a 40 year old Manning and its scary, immobile, basically only uses the middle of the field. Other than the occasional go route how may throws did you see outside the hashes? How many come backs?, deep outs? I like Kaayas game but there are parts of his game that I find scary. And with our coaches I think he has hit his potential now. Cause we don't have anyone on staff that is going to teach this kid anything he doesn't already know... We need a all out staff douching in the worst kind of way. And I was in support for a long time of AG... but the writing is on the wall as far as I can see......

Guys, this is my issue with Kaaya as well. I see this kid play the game like a 40 year old Manning and its scary, immobile, basically only uses the middle of the field. Other than the occasional go route how may throws did you see outside the hashes? How many come backs?, deep outs? I like Kaayas game but there are parts of his game that I find scary. And with our coaches I think he has hit his potential now. Cause we don't have anyone on staff that is going to teach this kid anything he doesn't already know... We need a all out staff douching in the worst kind of way. And I was in support for a long time of AG... but the writing is on the wall as far as I can see......

well if coley ran plays that involved come backs and deep outs

Agreed on the douching of the staff, but disagree on Kaaya. I think he can make most of the throws you need him to make, and the ones he can't yet--he has time to mentally/physically mature (with or without Coley's help) to improve as he gets more PT and weight room time. He has something that QB's here haven't had since Dorsey--anticipation on his throws. He doesn't have to see a guy open to make the right read/throw. That's a priceless trait to have as a QB. Case in point - that 3rd down throw against VT where he hit Duke for a 1st down and a big gain while facing down a LB.

There was another throw he made during the spring in one of the scrimmages (couldn't find the gif, maybe someone else has it handy), but he stepped up in the pocket, and threw it from one hash to the other sideline with some zip/accuracy for a first down, and it was impressive. He couldn't make that throw a year ago, now he can.

I'll take the kid missing some throws here and there for those special throws like that one against VT. If he keeps working, those misses will become less and less of an occurrence, and he'll grow as a QB. That's all you can ask for...especially with this staff not doing him any favors.

Or the bubble screens when the D is playing up to stop the run.
Guys, Coley is still trying to figure out how to convert a 3rd down. How do you expect him to get the ball into the hands of his most explosive player?

Speaking of 3rd downs...

Advertisement
Statistically it's not debatable: James Coley is as poor and most likely worse than Nix.

And his recruiting sucks too; he's here for South Florida, and ever since he came our SoFla recruiting has been ABYSMAL. It shocks me how much love he gets bc of his Cuban roots despite being a horrendous coach and a FREAKING SEMINOLE.

Statistically it's not debatable: James Coley is as poor and most likely worse than Nix.

And his recruiting sucks too; he's here for South Florida, and ever since he came our SoFla recruiting has been ABYSMAL. It shocks me how much love he gets bc of his Cuban roots despite being a horrendous coach and a FREAKING SEMINOLE.

Well if he wasnt here we wouldnt have got chad or yearby, the guy is a great recruiter horrible play caller

Speaking of 3rd downs...

Corley is garbage but in all fairness watch an NFL Sunday. You see that same play action on 3rd and long all pucking day.

I understand the premise, but let's be clear on what PD showed while he was here. He was a deep threat who if he caught the ball in stride was gone.

Still, he could've been used more than he was, same with the rest of the WR's. The offense was inconsistent in every phase of the game.

It's wonderful that he's getting all of the positive attention he is, but we've seen what his strengths and weaknesses were through the years.

It's pretty hard for a WR to do all those things you claim he can't do if he's not being asked to do those things. Players can't decide on their own to start running routes that the coach doesn't draw up for them.

Do you think Stacy was best utilized last year by the coaches running so many screens into heavy traffic?

Earlier in his career he was asked to do those things and he couldn't. The coaches aren't dumb, contrary to what a good many say on this board (they're just not creative and there's a big difference), and know what each player can bring to the table. Even Fisch who many are enamored with for some odd reason couldn't get those things out of PD.

Our screens are a joke. Stacy though benefited his first year by being an unknown weapon who was matching up against the opponents third or fourth best db. He put teams on notice and this year they prepared for him. To this point, I'm sure this won't be popular, he's soft physically and mentally if you ask me.

Advertisement

Well if he wasnt here we wouldnt have got chad or yearby, the guy is a great recruiter horrible play caller

That's absolutely as asinine a statement as I've ever read on this board.

We don't know who would be here if he wasn't. The possibility exists that the fictional coach have a better offense. Perhaps he'd make an even better connection with those two players you mentioned. You simply can't say something wouldn't have happened like that when you don't know what might've been.

Coley doesn't get enough heat around here IMO.

If Dorsett had one of these innovative spread guys as his OC he would've put up foolish numbers. Watching Sarkisian speak at an Orlando coaching clinic was all I needed to see to realize how pedestrian Coley is.
several people say coley was hand cuffed by gollden during the season

He was. Golden wants a slower pace to help his defense and manage the clock. We could have targeted Dorsett a lot more last year

We don't know who would be here if he wasn't. The possibility exists that the fictional coach have a better offense. Perhaps he'd make an even better connection with those two players you mentioned. You simply can't say something wouldn't have happened like that when you don't know what might've been.

Not too mention all the elite studs that have continued to get away despite Coley's presence.

Bottom line, he recruits "pretty good" but nowhere near well enough to forgive his shortcomings as an OC. He's in a neck-and-neck race for worst coach on the staff.

Advertisement

Earlier in his career he was asked to do those things and he couldn't. The coaches aren't dumb, contrary to what a good many say on this board (they're just not creative and there's a big difference), and know what each player can bring to the table. Even Fisch who many are enamored with for some odd reason couldn't get those things out of PD.

Our screens are a joke. Stacy though benefited his first year by being an unknown weapon who was matching up against the opponents third or fourth best db. He put teams on notice and this year they prepared for him. To this point, I'm sure this won't be popular, he's soft physically and mentally if you ask me.

Again, agree 100%. We've seen PD catch enough underneath stuff to know he's got ZERO run after the catch ability. He's a pure deep threat.

Well i know they wouldnt have been here if it wasn't for him, coley was close to yearbys family and chad was looking to jump ship to bama and coley called him and convinced him to stay, if coley wasnt here those kids wouldnt be here, ive stated numerous times that you can have a staff full of great recruiters but you arent winning your not getting big name kids thats a fact, so a 6-7 record is going to get you a class we had last year

You know who the best recruiter is?

THE SCORE BOARD.

If we had an innovative offense that lined up with 3 to 4 WR's every play and exploited mismatches we'd score a lot of points. The offense would be lighting it up and kids from South Florida would want to play in it.

Awesome.

He got us the 2nd best Running Back from Miami Central and a 4-technique Defensive End.

Where would we be without Coley?!?!?!?!

Advertisement
Back