Coley's offense gets ****ted on

Hey, love that Dorsett has shown out at the Combine and destined for the first-round money . . . but, sorry, I still don't see it.

Advertisement
I'm gonna throw this out there... I'd like to see targets as in comparison to actual receptions. Especially his Jr year Dorsett had his head placed firmly up his own ***. Drops & balls being thrown to him & he wasn't even looking. One would've been a TD.

Coley doesn't get enough heat around here IMO.

If Dorsett had one of these innovative spread guys as his OC he would've put up foolish numbers. Watching Sarkisian speak at an Orlando coaching clinic was all I needed to see to realize how pedestrian Coley is.

This, I tried to say this last year prior to the season, but just look how he is using Stacy, Ill stick to what I've always said, S.Coley should be used like Bama used Coop. Coley has excellent route running skills but majority on here thought it was a sophomore slump, imo it was all coaching and teams were better prepared than the prior year where coley had a good season. I just pray Miami wises up like TCU coach did and change the offense and make it easier on themselves.

how could you use coley like copper when he doesn't like going down the middle ? Coley doesn't even have the size or the route running ability that cooper has. There completely different receivers.

Coley has **** good route running, pay attention to how he runs his routes, they are all natural. Coley is the type of WR who could turn a Db hips easily or he could stop a Dbs feet with ease. Coley routes are advanced the coaches are just holding him back. Screens should not be his main route. Bama put Coop in positions where he could showcase his route running, if our coaches did that for coley it would open up our offense. A question for you as well, how would Coop perform in our offense.

Talent always finds a way to shine. So the silly, straw arguments we used to see on this board and from the coaches that the issue was lack of talent have been abandoned. We knew these dudes were ballers and now the football world is saying **** those angry *** Canes fans were right.

Now, tell me again how Swag16 or Nifty19 will solve everything.

I understand the premise, but let's be clear on what PD showed while he was here. He was a deep threat who if he caught the ball in stride was gone.

He wasn't an over the middle type of receiver.

He wasn't a good punt / kick returner at all.

He wasn't very good on screens, that may be a design issue though.

He wasn't very shifty for a guy his size.

He didn't have the best hands.

Still, he could've been used more than he was, same with the rest of the WR's. The offense was inconsistent in every phase of the game.

It's wonderful that he's getting all of the positive attention he is, but we've seen what his strengths and weaknesses were through the years.

Advertisement
I understand the premise, but let's be clear on what PD showed while he was here. He was a deep threat who if he caught the ball in stride was gone.

Still, he could've been used more than he was, same with the rest of the WR's. The offense was inconsistent in every phase of the game.

It's wonderful that he's getting all of the positive attention he is, but we've seen what his strengths and weaknesses were through the years.

All of which are why I'd be shocked if he's taken before the 3rd round. I wish him the best because he's a Cane but other than elite speed, he's a F/A receiver.

Remember we are not suppose to score fast. Not part of Al's defense. Personally, I have no problem with less screens. All those bubble screens sucked. Plus the increase in TE throws is old school Cane football. That should not have precluded more passed to PD. This stuff is all about Al trying to improve his defensive statistics. I'm not sold on Coley but I put this on Al. PD is going to smoke the NFL -- kid took top off of all the best teams he player.

He got better in traffic and over the middle.

His hands got much better.

And his downfield blocking improved a bunch.

I agree that he is not good with screens and not shifty. But boy can take the top off anyone, and did.

Advertisement
My feelings for Coley aside..

Am I the only one here who thinks Dorsett is being RIDICULOUSLY overrated by the so-called "experts" right now? I know they do this for a living, I know they get paid a lot of money to scout players...but I think hardcore Canes fans who watch every down of every game and follow this team religiously know more about THIS ONE player than guys who are spread thin reviewing 200 draftable players. It's just impossible for scouts to know everything about every player. In the last week I heard 1 clown compare him to Antonio Brown and another compare him to Marvin Harrison. I'm pretty sure by the end of the week we'll get a "slightly shorter version of Randy Moss" or a "faster version of Jerry Rice" thrown out there for ***** and giggles.

This is a pretty obvious case of scouts falling in love with the stop watch. I've watched every pass Dorsett has caught in a Canes uniform and one thing has ALWAYS been apparent to me....he has ZERO run after the catch ability.

Tell him to run a 9? No problem...he'll blow by his man.

Tell him to run a post? No problem...he'll split the safeties

But throw the guy a bubble, a 5 yard slant, a 7 yard in, or a 9 yard out and assuming it's a completion you'll get pretty much the same amount of yards as the route was thrown. I have no explanation for it but the kid slows down DRAMATICALLY with the ball in his hands and especially in tight quarters. He takes longer than you would expect a guys of his speed to accelerate.

I only say all this cause the guy is now being talked about as a first round pick. I love PD...but he's not a first round pick. He's a deep threat....a Randall Hill type. He definitely has a skill set that will find him a niche in the pros but the kid offers little playmaking ability on anything thrown short.

With all that said, Coley's playcalling still sucks open ***.

Last edited:
Still miss fisch in the play calling dept.

Yup.
Meh. He was good until we got into the red zone and then we would stall. We also would stall for a good portion of the game where we couldn't move the ball or get any points on the board. Not sure if that was a Stephen Morris problem or a Jedd Fisch problem, but I will give him credit for his QB development. He got the best out of Jacory and out of Morris.

I think we can do better in terms of the caliber of coordinators we've hired over the past few years.

isn't that better than the boom or bust (more often than not) offense we have now? I feel like red zone issue are easier to fix than not being able to move the ball. We actually won a few games strictly on the back of fisch's offense.. how many times can we say that about coley's?

Still miss fisch in the play calling dept.

Yup.
Meh. He was good until we got into the red zone and then we would stall. We also would stall for a good portion of the game where we couldn't move the ball or get any points on the board. Not sure if that was a Stephen Morris problem or a Jedd Fisch problem, but I will give him credit for his QB development. He got the best out of Jacory and out of Morris.

I think we can do better in terms of the caliber of coordinators we've hired over the past few years.

isn't that better than the boom or bust (more often than not) offense we have now? I feel like red zone issue are easier to fix than not being able to move the ball. We actually won a few games strictly on the back of fisch's offense.. how many times can we say that about coley's?
Don't get me wrong Fisch is definitely much better than coley. I just think we can do better from what we've gotten over the last few years. I want a spread offense guy.

Jedi, I think you're pretty much spot on with your post. He does one thing rather well, the rest he's average at best.

Advertisement
Jedi, I think you're pretty much spot on with your post. He does one thing rather well, the rest he's average at best.

It's one of my biggest criticisms of Coley. On top of the fact his system is overly simplistic and predictable as ****...he didn't always deploy guys the correct way. Every time I saw a bubble thrown at PD I would throw **** at the TV, and that was while the ball was still in the air. You gonna throw a bubble? For the love of God line Waters up in the slot or to the field side and throw him the **** bubble. Send PD deep to attract attention...then next time you run the same set you throw the **** ball deep to PD to keep the D on their toes.

We saw zero of that with Coley. At times it almost felt like he was completely lining guys up randomly and then randomly calling a play...ignoring who was lined up where. With all the talent we had on offense last year we left a TON of yards on the field. I'll continue saying it til I'm blue in the face...for as bad as Golden is...Coley is the single worst coach on the staff at what he does.

some of what youre saying is true when looking at his freshman and sophmore year. i thought he greatly improved his catching and was much shiftier this past season. you guys do know that players can improve. that's what they're supposed to be doing over the span of their tenure. you also failed to mention that he's a pretty **** good blocking wr regardless of his height. he was only a deep threat bc that's all coley's offense asked him to be. scouts were raving about his rout running in workouts so that myth has already been busted.

Last year is the past. Golden and Co have made tons of changes that nobody from the outside can see. He said it himself, so it must be true. Trust the process. Ignore the noise.

The changes are so top secret we won't even see it on the field next season.

Advertisement
I'm on record numerous times stating that Coley is as bad of an OC as Patrick Nix. But hey, some people around here claim he is awesome because he recruits so well......

I'm on record numerous times stating that Coley is as bad of an OC as Patrick Nix. But hey, some people around here claim he is awesome because he recruits so well......

I agree and have been screaming this from the rooftops since he got here. He has gotten a pass for his supposed recruiting prowess and catchy tweets. Our offense has been as bad as our D when it mattered most, whole **** staff needs to go.

I think dorsett has the ability to be explosive but he lacks lateral mobility at times IMO. However he did do some great things this year when he had the ball. He has progressed every year and should be a 1st rounder

I think dorsett has the ability to be explosive but he lacks lateral mobility at times IMO. However he did do some great things this year when he had the ball. He has progressed every year and should be a 1st rounder

Everything he "did" was while the ball was in the air and he was already downfield. It doesn't surprise me, however, that you of all people believe otherwise.

Advertisement
Back