Cody Brown in the Transfer Portal

Advertisement
yeah lets blame him not lashlee
simon cowell facepalm GIF

Do you think Lashlee was a worse OC than these past gems - Dan Werner, Rich Olson, Patrick Nix, James Coley, Dan Enos?

2020 - Cam 5.1 ypc - Chaney 4.7 - Knighton 4.0 - Burns 3.9
2021 - Cam 5.8 ypc - Chaney 4.0 - Franklin 7.5 - Brown - 4.1 - Knighton 3.9

Do you think it's Lashlee's fault Knighton couldn't average more than the other RB's?

Do you think Lashlee was also to blame for Burns & Brown's low ypc too?

Please answer yes....

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

C'mon, brothers...its a fair critique to say Knighton isn't exactly a great runner yet. The man averaged 3.9 yards per carry out there. There were backs on the same roster that 40% more yards per carry than Roost. Its not like you're insulting his mother.

He's going to be a Blake Corum for this offense. He's getting the ball plenty, but IMO would be better getting a blend of touches over lead back duties. I've pounded the table for Henry Parrish since he was a junior as the best back of the bunch (Rooster, Chaney, Parrish) and now we get to see if that is true, so I'm a real takesman and I go down with my takes. Give me Parrish as that lead back. He's got it and is my breakout DUDE of the year for this team.

He is the best blocker but it's pretty close between several of them. But he's also basic with the ball in his hands whether it's running or recieving. The best reciever out of them and it's not close is rooster and he'll be used heavily in that role. And yes he will play some. But the 3 I mentioned will get far more burn than anyone else. I'm talking about the 3 who will consistently see the field if healthy. It's not an opinion either.
I don’t agree. We’ll see next fall.

It isn't all on Knighton, but a majority of it is on Knighton. OL is part of the problem, but his running style/decision making is a larger part of the problem.

Cam, Chaney, Thad - each put up better rushing stats than Knighton behind the same OL. The reason isn't the OL. They've simply been better at running.

I broke down with screenshots what Knighton needs to work on completely separate from OL play a couple weeks ago in this thread:

Kevin Smith: Elite Feet and Elite Eyes
You're comparing apples to oranges. The only one who had similar amounts of carries was cam. Thad and Chaney were very limited in carries. I get the case you're trying to make. I agree he needs to work some on keeping his eyes open and being decisive in picking his holes. The entire emphasis of the previous staff was pick your hole and explode. Problem is when you have lil to no rushing lanes you question yourself repeatedly & start to lose confidence. Why don't you wait to see how he looks this year before you label him a project. But hey, do you.

Advertisement
I didn't know - and I'm not attacking him, or saying I know more, or trying to say Knighton sucks. Did you look at the thread?

I'm saying let's look at the bigger picture and ask these questions:

1) What are the odds the OL was the worst it's been in 25 years, to the point where Knighton averaged a half yard less than any other leading Miami rusher?
2) What are the odds that as a Sophomore, Knighton was the finished product and doesn't have anything in his game to improve on?
3) If in the last 2 years - Cam avgs 5.2 ypc, Chaney 4.6, Thad 7.5, Brown 4.1, Knighton 3.9 - what are the odds it's 100% on the OL that Knighton is the lowest?

The odds are pretty slim for each, right? That's the bigger picture.

For the details - I'd say keep an open mind, read the thread & screenshots, and see if you think what I'm pointing out about Knighton has some validity.

Kevin Smith: Elite Feet and Elite Eyes
Fair enough. But if you wanna do all of that and intellect isn't the issue(which it doesn't at all seem to be than you also have to apply a lil math and logic into this equation as well... You're staying as what appears to be the emphasis to ur argument the fact he only averaged 3.9 ypc opposed to Thad,and Chaney and cam who did so much better. My question for u then is at what point do you factor in he had more than double the carries cam had, more than 7x the carries Thad had & **** near 15x the carries that Chaney had... You don't figure that lil tid bit might factor into what someone averaged per carry? Or is your thought that Thad would have 150 carries and keep averaging 7.5 yards per carry or the same for anyone else? Obviously you know rooster had carries that weren't for 4 yards a clip. You seem to be on point for the most part so all id say is if you're gonna do these in depth breakdowns than just be better. Cause kids read this and families read this. Believe it or not no one likes unfair criticism...
SmartSelect_20220414-203438_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t agree. We’ll see next fall.
And that is perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm simply telling you things as it's being projected now. It's not like it can't change. I hope you're right. Because that means he'll be stepping up. Which is all I care about. How we play on game day.

Advertisement
I guess you think I'm ****ting on him or something. That's fine too if you'd like to feel that way. Do you know what running backs have been practicing healthy throughout camp?

I'd bet most people think just because someone is out there practicing, they're healthy or close to 100 percent. They have no idea how many players in practice or on gameday aren't 100 percent or even 90. How a lot of the players are sore, bruised, banged up in ways that would keep them at home from their job. Some are tougher for a lack of a better word as playing through pain is subjective. Play an entire season, everyone is banged up at some point and some are just better at playing through it.

I think Rooster is an amazing back. But he's also been injured, and won't hold up if he has to pound the rock. And we already know Chaney is injury prone. Hence my belief we see Chaney #1 but a lot of Thad. That's not a criticism of Knighton, just a belief Mario is going to want to push opponents back in a scrum at times, and Thad is the guy to do that. He's also a great dump pass option of the read or screen.

Good problems to have. They're all high quality RBs in my opinion. Looks like Brown agreed with that assessment.

Thad just needs to be patient. If there is a healthy Chaney his touches this year will be limited. but 1) he has never been healthy, 2)If he is, some combination of two of Chaney/rooster/parrish will go pro after this season and that puts you in the top two, in line to get 15 touches a game next year minimum with a bunch of short yardage touchdowns as the bruiser. You only need one good season to get drafted, and frankly your body will be in a better position when you are getting NFL checks if you can bide your time and make that one year your junior year. If there is any school that proves that you can have 4 really good backs make the league and have a good career on the same roster, it is Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I guess you think I'm ****ting on him or something. That's fine too if you'd like to feel that way. Do you know what running backs have been practicing healthy throughout camp?

Nah I don't think you're ****ting on him. I just don't think he gets the respect he's going to command come fall on this board. Not necessarily from you, I mean in general. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

Fair enough. But if you wanna do all of that and intellect isn't the issue(which it doesn't at all seem to be than you also have to apply a lil math and logic into this equation as well... You're staying as what appears to be the emphasis to ur argument the fact he only averaged 3.9 ypc opposed to Thad,and Chaney and cam who did so much better. My question for u then is at what point do you factor in he had more than double the carries cam had, more than 7x the carries Thad had & **** near 15x the carries that Chaney had... You don't figure that lil tid bit might factor into what someone averaged per carry? Or is your thought that Thad would have 150 carries and keep averaging 7.5 yards per carry or the same for anyone else? Obviously you know rooster had carries that weren't for 4 yards a clip. You seem to be on point for the most part so all id say is if you're gonna do these in depth breakdowns than just be better. Cause kids read this and families read this. Believe it or not no one likes unfair criticism...
Take out the Central Connecticut State and App State game and Cam Harris had 43 carries for 218 yards or 5.07y/c and 2 Tds (4.65 TD%). With all his games he had 71 attempts for 409 yards or 5.8 y/c and 5 tds (7.04 TD%). ... of course if we actually looked even deeper we'd probably see that like half Cam's yards came on like 4 of his runs...

Jaylan knighton in his 4-game run of UNC - NCSt - Pitt - GTech had 87 carries for 417 yards or 4.8y/c and 5 Tds (5.75 TD%). Fun fact: Those 4 games were the 4 games Knighton had the most carries. So clearly compared to Cam Harris' season after you take out the non-p5 Knighton was just straight up as good or better once you include TDs during this 4 game stretch. And this was with double the carries...

Now Idk if Knighton was hurt during his final 3 games (right after that 4 game stretch of him playing very well), but there was a very clear difference. He then had 43 carries for 100 yards or 2.3ypc and 3 Tds (6.8 TD%).

Thad Franklin had like half his yards in that Central Connecticut game as well. remove that game and he had 16 carries for 84 yards or 5.25y/c and 1 Td (6.5 TD%). Which is better averages than Cam harris, but like Cam played bama and MSU at least.... I mean 16 carries for 84 yards and a tD is like solid for 1 game - Knighton against UNC had 17 carries for 92 yards and 2 TDs (and another TD receiving), so if you just took that one game Knighton had a great year!... So yeah, comparing a guy with 145 carries to a guy with like 16 that matter, isn't a good idea...

Take out the Central Connecticut State and App State game and Cam Harris had 43 carries for 218 yards or 5.07y/c and 2 Tds (4.65 TD%). With all his games he had 71 attempts for 409 yards or 5.8 y/c and 5 tds (7.04 TD%). ... of course if we actually looked even deeper we'd probably see that like half Cam's yards came on like 4 of his runs...

Jaylan knighton in his 4-game run of UNC - NCSt - Pitt - GTech had 87 carries for 417 yards or 4.8y/c and 5 Tds (5.75 TD%). Fun fact: Those 4 games were the 4 games Knighton had the most carries. So clearly compared to Cam Harris' season after you take out the non-p5 Knighton was just straight up as good or better once you include TDs during this 4 game stretch. And this was with double the carries...

Now Idk if Knighton was hurt during his final 3 games (right after that 4 game stretch of him playing very well), but there was a very clear difference. He then had 43 carries for 100 yards or 2.3ypc and 3 Tds (6.8 TD%).

Thad Franklin had like half his yards in that Central Connecticut game as well. remove that game and he had 16 carries for 84 yards or 5.25y/c and 1 Td (6.5 TD%). Which is better averages than Cam harris, but like Cam played bama and MSU at least.... I mean 16 carries for 84 yards and a tD is like solid for 1 game - Knighton against UNC had 17 carries for 92 yards and 2 TDs (and another TD receiving), so if you just took that one game Knighton had a great year!... So yeah, comparing a guy with 145 carries to a guy with like 16 that matter, isn't a good idea...
Yeah I wasn't even gonna get into the breakdown of actual competition opposed to YMCA. To me that was even more of a case of why he really didn't think that argument through. We gotta be careful with these analytical breakdowns. Far too logical for on here.

Advertisement
Here's where I think we agree and differ on some things - and it's all good, just different ways of looking at it. No right or wrong.

I agree - Knighton had much more carries than the other RB's in 2021, and that contributed to his low 3.9 ypc. I think he was way overused in 2021, and wore down at the end of the season.

Where I differ is - If you apply your logic that the difference in ypc was because of the amount of carries, that logic doesn't hold when looking at 2020

2020 - Cam averages 1.1 ypc more than Knighton with 2x the carries. 2021 - Knighton has 2x the carries of Cam but averages 1.9 ypc less

1649997550568.png

In Fact - About 80-85% of the time at Miami, the #1 RB in carries has a higher ypc than the #2 RB.....because you're going to give the ball more to the RB who gets you more yards. Nothing ground breaking here - simple math, simple logic.

Also - the overuse that contributed to Knighton's low ypc wasn't anything too drastic

He averaged 4.0 ypc after 50 carries as a Freshman. As a Sophomore, here's his ypc at these different points

25 carries - 3.4 ypc
50 carries - 4.3 ypc
75 carries - 4.6 ypc
100 carries - 4.6 ypc
125 carries - 4.0 ypc
145 carries - 3.9 ypc

At his best Knighton was 4.6 ypc, which is much better than 3.9 - but 4.6 still is only just ok.

I agree - Thad's 7.5 & Cam's 5.8 ypc wouldn't have held up over a full year. Their ypc would've dropped and they wouldn't have been able to maintain that pace.

Where I differ is - That kind of misses the point. Cut both ypc's in half 7.5 = 3.75 & 5.8 = 2.9. Now give Cam 74 more carries at 2.9, and Thad 122 more carries at 3.75

Their stats would look like this. The point is - Cam & Thad could've been pretty bad on the same amount of carries and still average 0.4 ypc more

1649999770120.png

When you do the math, you see just how far behind Knighton was.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back